Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My bet to a workmate over the future of cars

danny_galaga

You miss the point. The old car needs to be melted down or recycled to end it's life and then all the products required to make the equivalent parts on a new car all need to be remined, shipped and turned back into a product that needs to be shaped, transported to a factory, welded together and when finished, transported over the oceans to be sold but this time it isn't going to be a product that lasted 70 odd years, it will be dead and buried under 10 so that process needs to all be repeated all over again only each time.

If the "new" car has no use after 10 years, that would mean that 70 year old Plymouth has stopped the need for 7 new cars from being made from scratch.

A bit hard to judge this in the market as it is now but give it 10 years when the population is being forced into what they drive and if at all they can afford to drive and I think such waste in the efforts to save the planet will become very obvious.

Wonder how long it will be before Teslas are at the top of the stolen cars list not to mention what will happen to all the dead, worthless Teslas.  Then you will start seeing these things dumped in the bush after being burnt out.

Sweet, not just rusting steel slowly decaying back into the earth but all those composite materials and the residue of the lithium battery packs that are never going to break down.  

You really need to be careful not to over estimate the emissions from one vehicle out it's tailpipe over it's life and under estimate the emissions during the manufacture of it's replacement vehicle or vehicles. 

• Like 1

Remember there is "50–65 kWh of electricity used per kWh of battery capacity"  just in the manufacturing process, so they have already used this electricity before the car is even made, what are the emissions for producing  50-65 kWh of electricity and we are only talking about 1 kWh of battery capacity and each Tesla has a 12 kWh battery, so we have 780 kWh being used to make 1 battery, how about the manufacturing the rest of the vehicle, it has already produced more emissions in the battery before it is even put together .

Now times this by the hundreds and thousands of cars they will make each year.

• Like 1

Surely there's a more earth friendly way to make an EV battery pack than this..

https://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/images/tesla_50_percent_lfp_battery.jpg

All that metal around each of the tens of 1000s of cell in a metal frame and welded together....

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

This is a Tesla S Battery pack.

Toxic waste in the future when the only owner, the one that bought it new when it was able to do what it was made to do, has moved on to save the planet in yet another "new" EV.

Recyclable aye...........bullshit. By who and how the hell would you do it and all the materials used are all now mixed anyway like the lithium itself is no longer pure as it come out of the ground. It now has other materials mixed in with it. You try separating that and the cost of the recycling and the energy required makes it more "viable" for the users of lithium just to buy more newly mined product.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Autosteve said:

Surely there's a more earth friendly way to make an EV battery pack than this..

https://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/images/tesla_50_percent_lfp_battery.jpg

All that metal around each of the tens of 1000s of cell in a metal frame and welded together....

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

This is a Tesla S Battery pack.

Toxic waste in the future when the only owner, the one that bought it new when it was able to do what it was made to do, has moved on to save the planet in yet another "new" EV.

Recyclable aye...........bullshit. By who and how the hell would you do it and all the materials used are all now mixed anyway like the lithium itself is no longer pure as it come out of the ground. It now has other materials mixed in with it. You try separating that and the cost of the recycling and the energy required makes it more "viable" for the users of lithium just to buy more newly mined product.

30,000 plus of these into cells & then a battery pack and your good to go!

A527818D-07BA-4A76-8389-A115733B5580.jpeg

1 hour ago, CandyLand said:

You sell out your family, friends and country's economic future why not buy Chinese batteries too.

I swear you and Steve are deliberately being obtuse to test me out with all your logical fallacies. So what you are saying is that if the car isn't made in America, you won't buy it? ICE or EV? That your criterion is not the motive power, but country of origin? Lucky, because they make Tesla's in the USA 😃

Are you telling me about your patriotism via an American made phone or PC?

Edited by danny_galaga

Steve, you have already said that it's ok to bury waste from coal mines. So then it must be ok to bury waste from other sources too, including any by products of EV production. I agree with you- we can't put any more pollution in the air. Any future pollution needs to be buried if it can't be recycled. 

I can't wait to go for a ride with you in your 70 year old Plymouth 😊

Edited by danny_galaga

No I am saying Australia is a major player in Lithium production...And according to your latest video your plan for cost saving is screw your neighbors by out sourcing.

16 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Steve, you have already said that it's ok to bury waste from coal mines. So then it must be ok to bury waste from other sources too, including any by products of EV production. I agree with you- we can't put any more pollution in the air. Any future pollution needs to be buried if it can't be recycled. 

I can't wait to go for a ride with you in your 70 year old Plymouth 😊

That was old Hank buying the Plymouth not Steve...But way to get your facts straight. 

9 minutes ago, CandyLand said:

No I am saying Australia is a major player in Lithium production...And according to your latest video your plan for cost saving is screw your neighbors by out sourcing.

That was old Hank buying the Plymouth not Steve...But way to get your facts straight. 

I gotta school you in irony as well as logic now 😉

Steve was telling me how wonderful having a 70 year old car is for the environment. Naturally I assume that must be what he drives 

And furthermore you would probably want to consider Lithium waste as compared to coal, They are two totally different mining operations...Coal isn't separated with acid, for starters and buried Lithium acid sludge sounds like a bad day.

So yet again you are crapping on your family, friends, and country, Based on falsified data...The current exchange rate of the US/AU dollar  is already at 1.49, keep going man destroy your economic future so you can win a bet.

Edited by CandyLand

45 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

First of all I am a Woman...And your article doesn't even bother to explain what a BEV even is, And I don't even bother to explain it, Until you address my previous posts.

Danny/Galaga... Aparently homelessness statistics in Australia hasn't been updated since 2016, Must be a social problem that just magically went away in the shadows of your Green new agenda, and affordable energy.Screenshot_20221118-051241_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a9516825a226f11b910d0c3efcd26758.jpg

Edited by CandyLand

• Super Moderator

So Danny, been a while since I checked in on this thread, who's winning the bet so far? Care to summarise or am I going to have to set aside an hour to catch up 🦼

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Foot said:

So Danny, been a while since I checked in on this thread, who's winning the bet so far? Care to summarise or am I going to have to set aside an hour to catch up 🦼

You can just go by the last post apparently that he is wrong and made children homeless.

• Haha 4