Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My bet to a workmate over the future of cars

danny_galaga

2 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

On the solar car front, you aren't going to a very high current or voltage on the surface that you could touch in one go off that's what you are thinking. 

No, I wasn't thinking electrocution wise. More how fragile and electrically unreliable it would be. Christ, I can't get 12 months out of garden solar lights and a couple of trips to the supermarket carpark and there's a chunk of paint gone.

2 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

On safety, all road vehicles with full registration have to be crash tested, so no doubt they all have similar safety features to regular cars .

Yer just never seen a Tesla crash barrier test.

Not specifically EV related, but Tesla related 

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tesla-autopilot-data-scope

On 02/08/2022 at 1:50 PM, Autosteve said:

No, I wasn't thinking electrocution wise. More how fragile and electrically unreliable it would be. Christ, I can't get 12 months out of garden solar lights and a couple of trips to the supermarket carpark and there's a chunk of paint gone.

Yer just never seen a Tesla crash barrier test.

Not sure what you mean by crash barrier test, but all road registered vehicle types need to be crash tested 

https://youtu.be/il2jmMRgFV8 

Edited by danny_galaga

3 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Thing is, it's the modern mind set. So the fact it's an EV is incidental. ICE or EV, the manufacturers are hungry for data 

Yeah you're right. Cars will probably spread the web of connection and end up being roaming wifi hotspots. Sitting at traffic lights data mining/target advertising. Add some dash cams and facial recognition capability. Ugh!

• Like 1

I heard a rather interesting story during the week....BMW will start fitting all accessories to all there cars and you pay to use an app that enables you to use it.

The example they used was heated front seats. Every car will be fitted with them but they aren't active unless you pay for the app that I assume allows you to use them otherwise they just sit there unused the life of the car or until a later owner decides to pay for the app.

Is that a waste of materials in the pursuit of cheaper manufacturing costs?.

And when there is no network coverage?

You may think the network is all over Australia but the truth is it is rather poor. I go 220kms south of Sydney down the freeway. Perfect mobile coverage on the freeway but once you turn off, different story. Vodafone shits itself around 8 kms later followed by Opus that shits itself around 50kms along the road. Telstra continues working but it depends on your elevation. You drive through a valley, the wrong side of a hill, nothing.

I know exactly where the mobile coverage comes back on as i have mates in the car traveling out and then there phones get bombarded with texts they have missed since coming down.

Gotta be real careful what you wish for in this country and some technology I just don't think is suitable.

As a final thought on this subject.(for this Princess anyway...Modern Internal combustion engines are capable of running 250,000 miles (1/4 of a million) consistently and reliably, break that down to a low milage vehicle a 50 year old car that is still running actually requires less carbon to build and maintain over the course of time and service...In comparison while there have been improvements in the electrical aspects of an EV, really thinking the differences would manifest as hidden costs to the owner (probably even as a carbon tax on parts) And coupled with the facts they are almost twice the weight, and accelerate from 0-60 in like 3 seconds...No boys, I have to be of the opinion EV cars/Trucks should not be forced on the unsuspecting public from a mere safety standpoint if nothing else.

Edited by CandyLand
  • Like 1

Steve- you only need internet to download or activate an app. If that app doesn't need internet to continue functioning, it will keep working. For instance Shazam on my phone needs internet to look up music data. My calculator on my phone doesn't need internet.

Candyland- who are you kidding? We know you love old cars, no one here thinks you believe a modern car could last 50 years 😄

On performance, not all ICE cars are Ferraris. Not all EV cars are 2 motor Teslas. If you don't think you can handle high power, don't buy a Ferrari/2 motor Tesla. The other reason not to is most of us here can't afford to 😄

On that point though, that is my biggest concern with EV cars. Will the prices come down enough for the average guy to easily afford one? No 2 motors, no 'insane mode'. Just an A to B car. Yes, I see 20 year old tradesmen and real estate agents driving around in high spec Dodge Ram trucks and fancy BMWs, but they just don't know they can't afford it. In a year or two most of those are going to be repossessed.

For the average person here and in the US, affordable is more around the 20k USD range. My car was about 20k Australian, so roughly 15k USD. I paid cash

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

I think the point he is making is more to do with the planet being able to afford throw away cars, not the consumer.

Several years ago a study showed the average age of an Australian car in the nations car fleet to be 9 years old. That would have been when the majority of cars here were still Australian made with plentiful parts to keep them going which people did.

Fast forward to today and the story is totally different. Parts for cars over 5 years old are near impossible to get forcing people to buy later model cars and the problem remains the same, no spare parts at an affordable price when they are available.

Yer I not so sure what we are doing is so good for the planet to tell you the truth.

What is preached to be good for the planet emission wise, I'm seeing wasteful manufacturing methods that to me, just a layman are more harmful to the planet in the long term.

You may find this story rather alarming regarding concrete usage. Nothing to do with cars but it gives you some idea just how quickly the world is now using what the earth has to offer.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/24/how-china-used-more-cement-in-3-years-than-the-u-s-did-in-the-entire-20th-century/

I suspect the same to be the case with all metals used in car manufacturing.

• Like 1

Definitely concrete is the quiet planet destroyer no one is talking about. For instance, did you know that sand is scarce enough in India that a 'mafia' had evolved that just comes into people's farms and digs up the sand. If you give any resistance, you'll be dead. F ING awful. 

On the plus side, there are a number of architects now that are designing around engineered plantation wood products. Some of those designs are nearly at skyscraper size 😲

Of course to grow plantation woods meaning displacing something else, but at least there is a net reduction in carbon since that is what that is what the trees are made of and there is a lot less energy required to make a wooden beam than a concrete one.

• Like 1

Well that is a curious article, From a "save the planet " perspective it would almost have to include Radon statistics, and trapped heat from the earth itself, I would think anyway, But that probably wasn't the point...Yes I am busted, Jennifer loves her old cars, so rather than 50year lifespan, 9-10 year would probably be more reasonable 😉 

• Like 1

You'd embrace the drop in noise pollution too when it comes to bikes. Not sure what the hog riders will do.

But I can't see the silent bike being a thing because of the Walking Dead. Zombies looking at their phones rather than their surroundings. But hey, I'm all for culling the stupid. 🙂

• Haha 3

On 22/08/2022 at 11:43 PM, Autosteve said:

We oppose battery farm eggs and chickens but living like that is OK for humans?.

Why would any human want to live like that in a city like that and for what purpose?.

I actually think it will be pretty cool. A bit like living in a sci fi space city. They have started construction so some time down the track I'm sure it's a place you could visit. I think it will have a lot more character than the souless super polished turd of a city, Dubai

• 2 weeks later...