IGNORED

Alien by Pinball Brothers

Manny65

Alien in back - Pinball Brothers have revamped the original Heighway design (no PF LCD but now a physical ball lock and an additional PF magnet, now using some common off the shelf parts and all the electronics have been redesigned). Anyone who lost money on a Heighway Alien is able to apply for a 50% voucher.

https://www.pinballbrothers.com/alien/

As part of the launch Pinball Brothers have done an indepth podcast interview and worth listening to (starts at the 1hr 30m mark) https://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/

Mr Pinball is the Aussie distributor

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
@Manny65 Hey Brett do you know if deposits here are safe and refundable like the cointaker deal with Melissa?

Cheers mate and hope you doing well.

While the deposit form states it is non-refundable, I spoke to Wayne regarding this and he said that the deposit is refundable if you don't get your game (eg PB goes under) however it's not refundable if you simply change your mind. Wayne doesn't want to be out of pocket in shipping a game to Aust only for the buyer to pull out of the deal. I didn't discuss whether you could get someone to take over your allocation if you needed to

• Like 2

While the deposit form states it is non-refundable, I spoke to Wayne regarding this and he said that the deposit is refundable if you don't get your game (eg PB goes under) however it's not refundable if you simply change your mind. Wayne doesn't want to be out of pocket in shipping a game to Aust only for the buyer to pull out of the deal. I didn't discuss whether you could get someone to take over your allocation if you needed to

Thanks Brett. I’d really like one but the old JJP/Bumper Action Hobbit debacle has seen me too gun shy to pre order.

Thanks Brett. I’d really like one but the old JJP/Bumper Action Hobbit debacle has seen me too gun shy to pre order.

Yes understand that one - at the moment it's just playing the waiting game while they start to roll them out, apparently there was a bit of a delay as the initial production units had an issue that they hadn't seen in their prototypes. Haven't heard what the issue was ... whether it's to do with one of the new features (physical ball lock, additional magnet or the secret path to the airlock), or it changing to B/W mechs or simply an issue with one of the supplied parts, but these things happen.

I would really like to see the embedded PF LCD in the LV model, but the LV's features won't be announced until mid-year

• Like 2

Remember it was Mr Pinball who got everyones money back with that Bumper mess

• Like 3

wasn't the playfield LCD one of the best bits?

Certainly helped the immersive feel of the pin IMO, although others have said that they never really looked at the screen - I guess some like and others don't. The image on the PF LCD was the same as that shown in the headbox, so removing the PF LCD in the PB's SE doesn't change what is displayed.

Apparently there were concerns with the early Heighway machines on leveling the LCD and the risk of chipping on the PF around the edge however from all I've heard it wasn't really an issue and easily addressed. PB have also said that they wanted to create a reliable machine as one of the reasons for dropping it in the SE, although my understanding is that the quality of the cables used in the Heighway machine were more the problem.

• Like 2

Certainly helped the immersive feel of the pin IMO, although others have said that they never really looked at the screen - I guess some like and others don't. The image on the PF LCD was the same as that shown in the headbox, so removing the PF LCD in the PB's SE doesn't change what is displayed.

Apparently there were concerns with the early Heighway machines on leveling the LCD and the risk of chipping on the PF around the edge however from all I've heard it wasn't really an issue and easily addressed. PB have also said that they wanted to create a reliable machine as one of the reasons for dropping it in the SE, although my understanding is that the quality of the cables used in the Heighway machine were more the problem.

I played ALOT of games before fully making proper use of and realising about the implementation of the display. Takes a while to cotton on to just the basic bit of not looking at the backbox for info to start with lol. Then bits start to make sense. Integration. After getting the feel of flipping, start to understand what the display info actually means, and it's pretty logical. It's also tied in with the airlock display, so that when you have a mode going and the main display has instructions for the mode, your weapon is displayed on the airlock screen with the mode timer or counter.

Loader battle, Ambush, Self destruct, and Hyper sleep among other experiences on offer will be much less impact without the display. The effects are all built in to the visuals to tie in with the positioning on the playfield. The display does add alot more than anyone would notice with just a couple of hours play, especially at shows, where I played protos or early games, the game was good, but the ambient noise and light meant the full audio visual impact couldn't really be noticed. I think the videos of gameplay don't do justice, in the same manner.

The Playfield display is the key asset that made the game the complete experience that it is for so many people. The Backbox display simply mirrored the playfield display. The Player never really needs to look at the BB display at all, but having it there gives added impact by shedding flashes of light down to playfield that coincide with what is happening on the PF display. So, like an explosion or whatever, the video fills the centre of playfield with an explosion video cut scene which is bright. If the room is not brightly lit, that explosion brightness flashes to the whole playfield subtly from the large backbox display as well (since it is mirrored in time).

It has alot more purpose and meaning in the game than just weapons and sentry gun ammo. Yeah it will still be good with it deleted, but there certainly will be something significant lost by it not being there.

It would be entirely appropriate for it to be included in the LV, I think. Might depend on demand or requests to PB as well :unsure

This vid back when tongue was having issues, and lit with fluros... but game went through about every mode here except self destruct and all out war. Might be able to visualise how this looks in a lower light environment. An example where the visual lighting comes together with the PF display 9:30 in ambush, Cam set up better from about 3:30.

• Like 1

Remember it was Mr Pinball who got everyones money back with that Bumper mess

Don’t worry Wayne I remember talking to you and David about how to get Hobbit refund back. Always appreciated your help. Don’t know if enough people realise how much you helped out there.

• Like 5

For those interested - the first machine has arrived at Cointaker and will be showcased on a special edition of The Super Awesome Pinball Show (going to air tomorrow morning our time)

1783922471_PBAlien.thumb.jpeg.22aa50236a75431cbeeeca761e7de4ba.jpeg

• Like 4

I remember that Wayne and thank you immensely for doing so! And I’m glad I got a WOZ every time I play it.

My comment was about the company who is holding your deposit Aka Mine, so if something was to happen it's me you would be coming after not the overseas manufacturer

• Like 2

Christian (The Super Awesome Pinball Show) posted "Looking forward to sharing what we can, but I want to temper expectations a little bit 1f61c.png This won’t be a SDTM deep dive - I had an iPhone and 30 minutes to play it. Awesome game though. Hopefully this will be a quick intro into how the game looks before we can get someone to officially stream it!"

Here's the what's was shared https://fb.watch/4eeg-NyZZ3/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Pinball Brothers look like they have done a good remake on this, finished product looks excellent. Cant wait to get mine, hoping to hear from Wayne soon for final payment.
  • Like 1

That is correct, that one is the original from heighway pinball (screen in playfield). Pinball Brothers have remade it, currently in production for the standard model, a premium edition is coming later. The standard model does not have a screen in the playfield, Which suits me, I find it distracting. Not sure if the premium will have a in playfield screen.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...