Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PVM 9041QM - No filament glow.

palindrome

Question

Hey all, looking for some advice to see my PVM is repairable.

Initially thought there was a problem with the cable I built for the video input but trying several computers proved the issue was with the monitor.

So there's neck glow at all, the green LED comes on, audio inputs work OK. Obviously no video.

Tube feels like its charging and I can feel static on the face of the tube.

I have no experience repairing PVMs. Would this be a dead flyback or a bad power supply ?

7 answers to this question

If you're getting static on the face of the tube, the flyback is doing something. It's probably ok.

Have you put a meter across the filament pins on the back of the tube? With everything powered-down, of course. You might also need to disconnect the neckboard, i'm not sure. In fact you could probably measure the filament voltage while the set is on, if you wanted to. But that won't prove continuity.

I haven't measured anything yet or checked for an open on the neck tube. I've been occupied going through the service manual to get more familiar with its internals.

I'm hoping the tube hasn't failed because there's no way I can replace the glass. Hopefully it's just a problem with the high voltage, will measure the B+ voltage tomorrow but I suspect it's not what it should be or not present at all ( ~40v according to the manual ).

Heaters are fine. There’s resistance between h1 / h2 and ground.

Think I found the problem, wonder if I can find a new flyback for this

Edit: cleaned up the black soot, looks like the pin isn’t even connected anymore, confirmed not connected to hv trace with DMM.

077498D2-218B-4BC2-AF1C-2AE40801DF03.thumb.jpeg.685d5b9b31d6d9dc9a4cdca88d342e71.jpeg

879b944f314f9796a7bb97facdce00f9.thumb.png.1b56b6d9ba24a4ae6c9b85a3d3aebb23.png

I would assume so based on these images. So HV isn't connected but I'd assume the Flyback is probably no good, however the tube appears to be generated some static on the face of it. Heaters are not open and voltages are present there. So not sure where to go from here, or whether to take my chances on replacing the FBT

97127974_flybackpinout.png.fb6c2e024fe338995ac0ec63218434dd.png

694923488_flybackpinout.png.31d2178efb2d9b98ed202c3d45c5d8fa.png

Here's a positive update. There was no HV whatsoever, so that section of the flyback had failed which was evident in the photos, replaced the flyback with 1-439-526-11. All it needs now is an gain adjustment for all 3 guns, especially red. I'll read through the manual later tonight. I'll recap the power board as a precaution when I can afford it.

Some info that might help others repair their PVM.

Original part

1--439-526-12

Substitute parts for this flyback are confirmed at the link below. ( 1-439-526-11 and 1-439-526-13 )

These work in the 9" and 8" models.

https://sony.encompass.com/item/6080023/Sony/1-439-526-12/

IMG_1632.thumb.jpg.9b399650e3ac2134c1d3104a6c4d6134.jpg

• Like 2