Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

End of Pinburgh

chopchop

Just woke to the announcement that Replax Foundation is winding up all operations. They are selling off all their assets including machines so that's the end of Pinburgh and PAPA sadly. It is for financial reasons due to no incoming funds with the cancellation of this years event.

Sad day for those who have been over there in the last, and they were trying to receive the PAPA format next year.

Thanks to all that volunteered over the years and ran the Foundation.

• Like 2

This sucks, not because I was ever planning to go, simply because PAPA makes the best pinball tutorial videos around. I have watched so many PAPA videos to figure out if I should buy a game, or to learn how to play it a bit better.

No Exams today Pat

Are you wagging it?

Watching PAPA Vids again...

• Like 3

Such a huge loss to the Pinball Community as a whole

I wonder if they had of given everyone some notice of their financial situation, like that they would have to shut down their operations unless they get a certain amount of money

I've got a feeling that the Pinball Community would have tried to help them stay afloat

Or maybe they couldn't see any end in sight to the following years regarding the Covid laws & social distancing ? 😥

I'll be surprised if the IFPA points come back by this time next year!

Matt H

Edited by SilverBalljunky

I'll be surprised if the IFPA points come back by this time next year!

My guess is that no matter what happens in the rest of the world until the US is able to safely sanction IFPA comps it ain't happening anywhere. It is what it is and we'll all probably be back on zero points before it happens.

Sucks about Pinburgh. Played in both PAPA and IFPA world championships but never managed to get to Pinburgh. It was on my bucket list. :cry

• Like 1

Covid is just the last straw. Pinburgh was losing $500K pa, my guess is that’s why they previously sold the papa warehouse and now all the machines (which add up to $US1M).

Sub optimal decisions by the board when you consider it was an event that sold out in minutes each year. If they priced it correctly to break even they would still be around.

Slam Tilt podcast has the financial details.

• Like 1

My guess is that no matter what happens in the rest of the world until the US is able to safely sanction IFPA comps it ain't happening anywhere. It is what it is and we'll all probably be back on zero points before it happens.

Sucks about Pinburgh. Played in both PAPA and IFPA world championships but never managed to get to Pinburgh. It was on my bucket list. :cry

Ive been told that the has to be covid free before ifpa comps start back up again

• Like 1

Interesting idea. That would require a lot of work, and in the pinball comp scene it’s always the same old faces doing all the volunteer work. Plenty of people willing to eat the bread, but not many prepared to help bake it.

The shortest path to something like you are suggesting is to use the IFPA site, it’s just not for global WPPRs.

The people I know in SA don’t seem to be that bothered atm. We are having the occasional tournament and people enjoy the competition and the social aspect and WPPRs are a tertiary concern.

• Like 2