Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Share an example or picture of something you've 3D printed...

jbtech

Hi all,

Since our original exposure to affordable 3D printers for home use, my perception of them has gradually changed from a fascinating 'future' technology, building a heap of useless but technically interesting objects to prove they can, to a useful workshop tool for fabricating custom-designed hardware components, making prototype or one-off items and even the odd finished product .

While I realise the purists among us might frown upon any modern, non original and even hand made parts finding their way into classic machines - and I'm inclined to agree - for workshop use and many DIY projects they can be a quick and effective alternative to machining something from solid materials or buying the original manufactured item which almost universally must come from overseas.

It always fascinates me to browse sites like Thingiverse and see the extraordinary range of things which people think to design and make or even scan. My Scalextric scenery has had an influx of 1/32 scaled printouts of real people thanks to 3D printing pioneers like 'The Great Fredini' - but that's another story. In the picture below a figure of the man himself is shown next to two well known Scalextric scenery people. The rare starter podium is original but the fences and 'Scalextric' barrier were missing, these are 3D printed replacements, modelled by me. Even the lettering is 3D printed.

Since joining this forum only recently the subject of 3D printing custom hardware for arcade machine projects has already come up and it occurred to me there must bre a great range of things which members of this group have made specifically for their games or their games workshops.

I'd love to see and be inspired by any examples which others in the group would like to share which are relevant to this hobby. Looking back over my own notes there are several 3D printed items which have found their way into my projects and also my test setups so I'll start the ball rolling with one of mine...

Before I bought my first 'real' arcade machine I caught the nostalgia bug and made a little bartop DIY arcade project with a Raspberry Pi and a 14" CRT TV. The controls were an inexpensive kit purchased on eBay using the ubiquitous 'zero delay' controller PCB.

This little purpose made box was modelled in Tinkercad as it has a metric thread generator tool which I used. It started as a little platform with four M2.5 threaded standoffs to mount the PCB, then grew sides, a mounting flange with countersunk holes, cutouts for the USB cable and joystick / button wires. Finally four more threaded posts to affix a lid.

The lid was drawn in Autodesk 123D design, there are two holes to see the red and green 'mode' LEDS on the 'zero delay' PCB and as these reminded me of a pair of eyes the 'invader's' were added purely as embellishment, changing the filament colour during printing. The left invader has the two holes for eyes.

It's printed in ABS with a 0.2mm layer height. The threaded holes are slightly oversized in the design to allow for some overfill of the filament. The threads themselves probably don't look great under a microscope but do work, testing the limits of the printer with a 2.5mm O.D and a 0.4mm pitch, as I recall.

Having drawn it up, it's easy to print more and I'm adding a link to the objects for anyone who would like them. I hope some of you find this interesting and may even wish to share their own designs as well.

The files for the 'zippy' style box can be found at www.jbtech.linkpc.net/diy

Regards, John

c658154faa24379d39085f1b678ce05e.thumb.jpg.650e6058d24bda7631b82448e21e6ae5.jpg

f9fdd483fed871d589d5a8bcd0fb1e4f.jpg.2e4f56f9c17cfaf98e6c3c04552ab198.jpg

Edited by jbtech
  • Like 4

Wow, all these things look great - I like the idea of accessorising your pinballs with toppers and drink holders! I like the printout of Dirk too, he must have been printed in multiple parts?

I didn't print the box for this project, the original plan was to 3D print the entire lid, making the background layers thin enough to place some LED lights behind and illuminate like the arcade marquee but my first version was just an overlay as seen here, plus it runs on batteries...

The mini handgrip slides onto a standard full-length pot shaft. more details about this project at http://www.jbtech.linkpc.net/stunt

Regards, John

ac796c6034e0b8f849c5008096de0d90.jpg.26c5a9d5c03bdc6d32bd85c44c63f8a2.jpg

80cacc4b565c5bc44611aa1f4ea06cc9.jpg.bc807432bd75fb8b89368558a97f4d1f.jpg

• Like 3