IGNORED

HomeBrew Display

More questions than answers I'm afraid but hopefully some of you guys may be able to help.

It strikes me as strange no one has come up with a LCD display score unit so homebrews could remove all the individual score, credit /ball in play displays and use just one LCD screen to display it all.

I'm actually surprised it took Stern so long to do it on productions machines because of the obvious cost savings it offers as well.

What is so hard about it considering video machines have had scoring appearing on the screen for years and those scores have been able to tell the machine scores have been reached and usually extra man and in some cases replays awarded.

These questions got me thinking what if an LCD score unit was designed for homebrew with inputs of different values of scoring, multiple scores, one for each player, outputs for credits etc and something like a SD card attachment with images or videos displaying a background. You could say why add another board for just the displays but isn't that exactly what Williams/ Bally and all the other 90s companies did and called it a DMD driver board and that is just driving a primative dot matrix display and not all the images an LCD display is capable of displaying.

I don't have the answers but maybe some of the guys that work on video game boards could explain how scoring is done and then super imposed over an active video game playing in the background.

There are more ideas i think this could idea could go like interfacing it to existing MPU boards but I just want to see if anyone has any thoughts or if infact something like this already exists and I just haven't seen it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Not surprised Stern took so long, as now they need a whole team to produce content for the LCD screen. It’s like making a video game as well as a pinball. Part of the reason prices have gone up on new Sterns.

Not surprised Stern took so long, as now they need a whole team to produce content for the LCD screen. It’s like making a video game as well as a pinball. Part of the reason prices have gone up on new Sterns.

Hmm have to disagree there

parts are cheaper as lcd screens are mass produced for laptops also dots would have to be more labour intensive as movie theme games in particular use movie sequences in the game

This is getting there but is all for DMD machines and is reliant on the machine's original scoring and imagery.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-lcd-screen-to-replace-broken-dmds

Basically an interface to a better screen. What I am thinking is a smarter way to produce the imagery that incorperates it's own scoring so the operation of the machine can all be done at a much lower level.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and a better approach is to decode the scoring data from an existing pinball MPU board and have it appear on a screen. My problem is I have never had anything to do with video processing in electronics and was after a tip on how video games are able to produce scoring over a game playing in the background.

Simple...cost.....it can be done, but the time and effort to do it is quite significant and unfortunately the Homebrew market is extremely small on the planet. I would love for hundred across the planet to make homebrews. But looking at the posts, there probably about 20 people doing it each year. So whoever developed it and sold it , would not get rich but would feel happy that their hard work , time and product was being used by others.