Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Colour faded/ less vibrant (but chassis not the cause)

chaos199

Question

I have a Zenith CRT 63cm in a 1990 LAI cabinet that was keep in storage for last 15 years and just recently turned on last month. The colour is faded mostly with the green and a little with the red and I adjusted the RGB on the next board and chassis for 30 mins but it only reduced the colour and tinted the white. However there is no problem with the neck board or chassis as it works with full colour with another identical CRT. I also eliminated the game board and video cable as a possible cause as I plugged the video cable from another machine into the input of the chassis but it made no difference on the screen. As it was 15 years ago when I had it running I can't remember the quality of the picture before I stored it. I believe my worst fear might be true and the cause is the CRT picture tube itself. I hope someone can advise on what I can do (if anything) to improve the colour vibrancy (there is no problem with lack of brightness). I'm in Melbourne and there is no tech I have found that has a rejuvenator and even then I have heard stories where it destroyed the CRT in a few cases. I am hoping for just some simple cheap solution or adjustment to try, if not I will just leave it as it is. In the photo with the test colour screen the green is not as white as seen in the photo (it's bad but not as bad in photo - perhaps my phone camera is crap)

415e484bbaae5bf9b924578755668aae.thumb.jpg.4c31e3216c8b679b28d673a9e7c19bf4.jpg

cb1644f94762065fbd11b9f4e059a608.jpg.45554e4422f2d9f345d0892e243cdf21.jpg

12f878f32f871720254bc43078b43a48.jpg.7f51ee5d424ed655809c48b924273357.jpg

d2b3fa1ac50c0c7aceac1e2cb7b64db0.jpg.08378fffc11aee4fd413b2734d6bb5ef.jpg

9 answers to this question

Hard to tell from the photo - the whites look very white, which means the green gun is working, but then the green gun looks to be missing ,or very weak, which should make the whites look odd..

I'd say your only option is to get a rejuvenator on the tube. It's rare they will kill a tube, all when they do the tube was right on the edge of death anyway.

Where are you in Melbourne?

• Like 2

Yep, those old Zenith tubes are so often shitty and dull. Whack it on a rejuv and see how it goes. The odds of death are low if done properly. You just need to find someone local who can do it for you.

I have replaced every Zenith tube I had in my cabs, and replacing them with better monitors like Nanao or a TV tube with a Jomac chassis shows such an amazing difference.

Just gotta ask around and find a Nanao monitor for sale. The tube will not be Nanao, the chassis will be. Tube and chassis together make a monitor. You will need to replace both, as the Kortek chassis paired with your Zenith will not work with the Mitsubishi tube paired with Nanao chassis.

Where do you source the Nanao tubes?

Technically Nano didn't make tubes, they paired premium-grade Mitsubishi or a few other brands of tubes with their own top-tier chassis. A good combo is going to set you back ~$500, but the results are definitely worth it, IMO. You just have to grab them when they come up. @dragonlee moves a few now and then in Melb. Not sure about Sydney.

EDIT: ha, ninaj'd.

@dokworm if you do go and buy a new monitor, make sure you check it out in person and give it a good look. Nanao make the best monitors, hands down, but they still vary in quality based on the age of the tube and the condition of the chassis. If you get a good tube and a good chassis, it will look stellar. However, even Mitsubishi tubes become old and clapped out with time and their colours lose vibrancy. What makes them better than the Zenith/Kortek combos is that the Zenith/Kortek combos were largely shit even when they were new. Brand new Nanaos were top-notch Japanese quality.

The other option is to find a 26 inch tube from a late 90s TV and pair it with a chassis from Jomac. The most vivid and bright monitors I have are all late 90s TV tubes with a Jomac chassis on them. They look spectacular. The tubes have generally seen a whole lot less use than arcade tubes, as they came from late 90s TVs, which were not extensively used before being replaced with something newer. Arcade machines would run for 12 hours a day with the monitor running that entire time, this leads to the tubes copping a lot of use.

Thanks for all the info but I am not look at spending much. I am aware crt fade but my 2 identical MV6 NEO GEO cabs where bought in 1990 and put in storage in 2005 at the same time and just recently taken out and used for several hours. I expected the screen to be about the same quality condition but one is normal and the other is faded (mostly green) since they have been used and left on for just as much time since 1990 (just 15 years of use each). Also note that the green is not faded as much in photo. When I held my phone up to take the shot I could easily see the whiteness on the green patch on the phone screen but it looks much better with the naked eye- - it's just still not as vibrant as my other NEO GEO.