Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Rockola 418SA amp different to manual?

pyw304

Question

G'day, Jarrod here. After years of wanting one, I have bought a jukebox from a fellow vintage truck / general old stuff collector.

I'm new to jukeboxes, but can fix most electro-mechanical things.(been mucking about with old audio since being a teenager in the 80's and have serviced lifts for over 30 years - look up Otis Floor Selector on youtube.)

The jukebox I've bought is a c1964 Rockola 418SA Rhapsody II. The previous owner put new buttons in it and new bottom speakers (because it would only play one channel) He thought the amplifier was faulty and it removed when I got it. He gave up on it and it has sat a few years since he tried to use it.

Thanks to the experience and postings of others I have sorted the stuck (almost solid) gripper mechanism and it now selects and plays records.

I have yet to attend to the woeful speed regulation on the turntable, but I expect there will be plenty of previous posts on this, which I will go through.

I put the amplifier back in and swapped the valves to no avail. I then found no output on one pin of the plug from the tonearm. When the wires ohmed OK, I swapped them at the cartridge and now it plays out both speakers! The sound is awful and soft, but it's a start. It appears to have a cheapo BSR-type flipover cartridge on it. I have a few new ones of those and some new needles, so I will try that.

I find that when I try to plug in the remote control to the top of the amplifier (instead of the plug hanging nearby), it's much louder, but the pot does nothing. In any case I can't seem to get a good connection there and the wiring to that plug looks dodgy as. I can't seem to find a volume knob on the unit. I could only find the power switch and the reject button. Where should I be looking for that? EDIT: found in the book, will have a look after work tomorrow.

Also, the amplifier differs a fair bit compared to what the manual shows. Different valves and knobs among other things. I will try to post a picture here in the hope that someone recognises it and has a print for it. I want to know the pinout for the 6-pin plug, so I will look to see if that's in my book.

Lastly, are there supposed to be speakers in the top piece?

Thanks for reading and any help that comes.

Jarrod.

69b2c044a3bf592cf230d8b65c259dc4.thumb.jpg.9060395ac303e09b0df2482b07c5aa47.jpg

6 answers to this question

"yep' al of the Rock-Ola amplifiers are different to the USA models..

i am in Adelaide & the one people seam to be sending amplifiers to be rebuilt..

i do have all of the schematics for the Australian versions of amplifiers & have the largest stock of parts..

please send a PM