IGNORED

New Homebrew Started (Get Smart )

Its ticking along in the background, just made up my motor driver boards in the shed, you and @OzBlackKnight should enjoy this video.....I shall be getting more bits shortly to start constructing all sorts of things ! ( PS ,Its bloody cold in the shed....)

LMAO guess I deserved that one!! Thanks mate, ya made my day!! Good to see things progressing.

Cold in the shed - just work a bit faster! 😂

• Like 4

just got some parts back from Zelta 3D printing - in Singapore, do excellent printing at better prices that Shapeways and can do the cone of silence in a nice clear plastic. The guys there are super helpful.

https://zelta3d-au.com/sla-3d-printing-transparent/

Yeah , they look what we will need for the finished product. I will get that on the go, once I have made sure the whole GS door mech works. Because without that, we aint got now GS pin :( Im working on the proper dedicated controller for the Cone O Silence at the moment.....lots to do

• Like 1

Ok Ok an bit more progress, parts are starting to flow ( thanks @OzBlackKnight ) So this is the first test assembly of the "KAOS" ramp , I wonder if Siegfried would approve ?...I'm gonna have to tweak it a bit more. "Would you believe" that I will show it to a few people from 1.5mtrs away and get some critical feedback on it. Now to find some spring steel :)

IMG_1020.thumb.JPG.9ce9ca5a61c7b28afa8b2b8c1746715d.JPG IMG_1021.thumb.JPG.98091c85bf843b511ba9e034d3448e35.JPG IMG_1019.thumb.JPG.3cac334d4e6be7e8251c604fb23b6fce.JPG 932742790_siegfried.jpg.1487404443d169f33330e4e4e16377c5.jpg

IMG_1020.thumb.JPG.5b1b87c43783f611ab3e98200ce1fbe3.JPG

IMG_1021.thumb.JPG.7400155be782aa2be1d49806536eafa8.JPG

IMG_1019.thumb.JPG.d9da21e475ae0ca0b34c67333fb9bb43.JPG

452893874_siegfried.jpg.692a7a11e6374d6bfc692877ac1370f0.jpg

• Like 13

• Super Moderator

Every time you shank a shot it could say....."Missed it by that much!"

Also, don't forget video footage of Max on a park bench, hiding behind a newspaper with a lit cigarette hanging through a hole in the paper!

Oh, and "The craw....no not the Craw.....CRAWH!"

I think I watched too much Get Smart as a kid :blink:

Dave

• Like 4

That looks so good! Amazing idea for a theme as well. I hope you incorporate the phone booth elevator somehow :) Some kind of shot with an opening and close door in front of a ramp?

Yep that is critical to the pin, doors,phone booth , cone and Agent 13 :D Lots of design for the mechs to go

Every time you shank a shot it could say....."Missed it by that much!"

Also, don't forget video footage of Max on a park bench, hiding behind a newspaper with a lit cigarette hanging through a hole in the paper!

Oh, and "The craw....no not the Craw.....CRAWH!"

I think I watched too much Get Smart as a kid :blink:

Dave

Nope , you watched just enough ! Crawh ! Get him Bo Bo !

• Like 1

Would you belive ! Vertical door mech ? So this is the test of the vertical door mech for the "Control" office doors assembly, more doors are in the works. So this mech is to raise and lower the vertical door in the sequence. It will use optos for position sensing and has micro switches to disconnect the motor if an over travel occurs. the motor gearbox is quite torquey for a little fella, and could do damage if it overruns the opto stop !

• Like 10

So Mr Smart...2 possibilities ! One possibility...Board does not work and releases smoke genie:o Two possibility...board works and nothing blows up :D Simply Amazing !

So this is the first test of my home made Pixace40X2 processor Board and it connection to the home made "H" Bridge FET Motor driver board....both worked and no smoke genie was released.

I also tried a bit of Pulse Width Modulation to change the motor speed..this also worked. This will be handy if I change the actuator for a higher speed motor that i want to slow as it reaches the end of travel part.....So doing my happy dance now. So now to connect all the switches properly and test the full auto mode of the cone.....lots of code to write.

• Like 7

So Mr Smart...2 possibilities ! One possibility...Board does not work and releases smoke genie:o Two possibility...board works and nothing blows up :D Simply Amazing !

So this is the first test of my home made Pixace40X2 processor Board and it connection to the home made "H" Bridge FET Motor driver board....both worked and no smoke genie was released.

I also tried a bit of Pulse Width Modulation to change the motor speed..this also worked. This will be handy if I change the actuator for a higher speed motor that i want to slow as it reaches the end of travel part.....So doing my happy dance now. So now to connect all the switches properly and test the full auto mode of the cone.....lots of code to write.

Was the mech in the original post not up to scratch or had you forgotten that you'd already built that one :lol

Was the mech in the original post not up to scratch or had you forgotten that you'd already built that one :lol

Tis the original mech, but back then it was just me twisting the wires together to create the magic. This attempt is the processor board and motor driver board doing their stuff ! The magic of electronics ! In the interim, I had to learn PCB design software and a couple of failed attempts to get boards made....it seems , every step forward , means I have to learn even more software packages....my brain hurts !

• Like 4

I love your learning electronics, PC board/ mech design. Just so many ways of building them but in the end, achieving the same result. I'm a believer in simplicity myself when it comes to design. A good example of such varibles is your lift mech and how the electronics controls it. You can use optos interuptors that the beam is broken when they reach there limit, micro switches, an encoder that counts opto pulses, a potenciometer that reads the changing resistance and many more. All do basically the same thing but all add parts off the board like wires off the board, connectors and the sensor itself what ever type it is.

These all add cost and basically, the more parts off the board, the more potenical failure points.

What is becoming common in automation is over current detection as it addresses all the problems the line above mentions but it also allows for more variables in design.

In your example, you know how much current the motor draws in normal operation, you add about 25% more to allow for mech wear over time, dust etc and that current point becomes your threshold levels to detect when the mech has reached it's limit. It's mechanical limit.

You set you electronics to monitor that level and make it the stall point that the electronics detects and that takes the place of any externally wired sensors as well as circuit protection devices like fuses etc but it also protects again mechanical failure such as jams in between intended travel extreme points.

Now you just have supply wires to your mech electronics control board and motor supply wires coming off it.

In your electronic design you set the current detection points, ( the mechanical stall points), using trimpots and depending on your design, you can use the same board design to control all the motor driven devices in the automation or in your case, your pinball as all DC motors share one feature, they draw more current when they stall and this is an ideal way to control them.

This post is all about getting you to learn what the automation industry is up to and not any form of criticism. I'm just glad to see you having a go to tell you the truth and I think this may allow you to simplify your electronics with the added bonus of reliabilty plus I think it is something I think you may be interested in.

• Like 1