Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New Homebrew Started (Get Smart )

Here you go @Arcade King another update :D So this is the centre parting door mech, like you see with auto doors. I would post a video, but Im running a 10 rpm motor on it ( my Chinese supplier sent me these instead of 120RPM :realmad: ) So paint drys faster than these doors move for now. On the up side, everything fits as per design ! Which is good because I put in some serious AutoCad time to make this thing. Thanks yet again to @OzBlackKnight Knight for fabing all the brackets for the assembly. So Im waiting on more 120 RPM Motors to come in to see how this runs properly. So i now have vertical door mech and centre parting door, now for the swing door !

IMG_1257.thumb.JPG.d09be7038b26679575147c6e8a6e8cf6.JPG

• Like 7

You have to go through the 3 doors, then the phone booth at the end of the"corridor", that will capture the ball, then drop it under the playfield and eject back out via a scoop. Well that's the plan. This thing might need to be a wide body for the mechs on it to fit....
  • Like 3

You have to go through the 3 doors, then the phone booth at the end of the"corridor", that will capture the ball, then drop it under the playfield and eject back out via a scoop. Well that's the plan. This thing might need to be a wide body for the mechs on it to fit....

I have got that clip of the doors and phone booth stuck in my head .... damn you!!!

• Like 2

OK Thanks to the pre-orders I have been able to finance the Cone Of Silence ball Diverter Mech ! ( No, not really :p ) Anyhow, this mech will divert the ball into either the left or right ball capture, that is used to load the balls into the Cone Of Silence when it comes down. This will make a lot more sense once all the parts ( and there's lots of them ) come together. I just need the "Teddy Bear" to start the final test assembly.

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.2c4b6511813130ffb79d85571b7a35cb.JPG

IMG_1266.thumb.JPG.1183e4a3e5156e7e632474fc1d55fe15.JPG

IMG_1269.thumb.JPG.422a211c23ff9149c09e7be1374d8a41.JPG

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.b083594c94d3609a671c1f8ec72e95a8.JPG

• Like 4

OMG , well @Arcade King if you got all Girly Giffy at that one....I'm a bit worried what Gif this post will inspire from you :o This is the "Ball Dropper" mech. This will drop the balls out of the Cone Of Silence Mech if required during game play, they will then be directed to a scoop and fired back onto the playfield. Initially it would not hold my balls UP ! This of course is no good ! So I have figured out I shall require and extra spring to hold the balls in the right place ( this of course is very important in life ) However it does do its allotted task quite well , and drops my balls as required ! (Is there an AA rule on how many innuendo Ball jokes one can do....) Please enjoy seeing one of my balls drop ( Please note its been over 4 decades since is was 13 :lol )

IMG_1283.thumb.JPG.4e5ca61a4911344fe21d30a15d40e819.JPG

509133409_IMG_1284(1).thumb.JPG.6acfb5bf21b7c8b40597c11c8e165238.JPG

• Like 5

So after a lot of fiddling around and scratching the head, I have got the diverter mech to what I want. The picture show how tight the fit had to be between the Cone Of Silence Assembly and the ball diverter assembly. As you can see I had to design the parts with very little clearance between the plates, this was a bit tricky. I have redesigned the plate that holds all the parts for Cone Of Silence, so @OzBlackKnight , best you warm up the laser cutter again :D

IMG_1302.thumb.JPG.667b32bf6bd777ff2743ef03e9476075.JPG

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.d24abbc135401225988af02ec5b5bf3a.JPG

• Like 3

OK Thanks to the pre-orders I have been able to finance the Cone Of Silence ball Diverter Mech ! ( No, not really :p ) Anyhow, this mech will divert the ball into either the left or right ball capture, that is used to load the balls into the Cone Of Silence when it comes down. This will make a lot more sense once all the parts ( and there's lots of them ) come together. I just need the "Teddy Bear" to start the final test assembly.

@thegrunta666: "Teddy" is here. You just need to pay the ransom to have him released. :-)

Teddy.thumb.jpg.5f8bec4b8f4661a3ff6171313995c6f1.jpg

e87045e41d22b862d6c08a297b58a8af.thumb.jpg.e647d9374a114cd1c9c6d4ac5b866906.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Been a month:)

time for an update Grant ;)

Been lots of months !!! Here's and Update...

Assembly and testing of Cone of Silence Mech under way with latest design changes.

One thing the Cone has is a ball diverter to put the ball in either the Chief or Max position ( yes that's a thing )

So I have used one of my generic FET driver boards to mess with Pulse Width Modulation of the coil. That way, once its energised , it can sit energised for minutes if ned be and not over heat or blow up.

I messed around with different Frequency rates and Duty Cycles. The lower frequency's create an audible "buzz" that would transfer into the cabinet.

After playing around with various frequency's and duty cycles, I have settled on 28Khz and 15% duty cycle. So on energisation, I give the diverter full juice for 50m/s then drop to the 28Khz, 15%. The coil on 50VDC drops to a hold voltage of about 12VDC.

Worked fine for 5 minutes, then fizzed the FET......not sure why, but my DC supply has a AC ripple of 14VAC ! Time to get a better supply !

Anyhow, the video's show the Buzz at low frequency, and the quieter coil at higher frequency.

Still a crap load of work required to finish the Cone Of Silence..but its a very complex mech to say the least...:blink:

• Like 2

If you just want the flipper to move to either position and hold in either position, maybe a servo would be better suited. There are far easier to control being you only need a 1 second pulse of power to move them and no power locks them in that position by way of the gear reduction set. Reverse polarity and a 1 second pulse and the mech will go to the other position and hold.

To get the servo to do this remove the electronics from the servo and power the motor directly.

If you pull the end stops out of the servo and the electronics, the servo can do full rotations while the power is driving it or the other direction if reverse polarity.

Could never understand why servos weren't used more on pinballs even if just for tasks like a gate.

• Like 2