Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stern Stranger Things

Que200

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2121928}[/ATTACH] Checking out some different screen materials. I think the "matrix ember grey" surface comes up quite well increasing contrast. This is just a sample sheet but I'm going to order some and see how it looks installed [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2121927}[/ATTACH]

Good idea there, totally worth it and shouldn't be too hard to to do. Being very into Home Theater, my thought is Stern could have honestly done that from the start so easily by using a decent ambient light rejecting material. There's quite a lot out there. Screen Innovations and Stewart have great ALR materials as do others.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Hooley dooley, 7 months plus and no chat.

What do owners think?

Where you able to dial in the ramp diverter and demogorgan ramp to an acceptable level?

I was very down on this game when it first came out but over the last two months I’ve had a chance to play it regularly and it has really grown on me. I would go as far to say that the people who are negative on it, maybe haven’t given it enough plays. It can be a little brutal with drains off the center targets, but you can adjust your play to eliminate these. Ive had no issues with ramp diverted and can usually shoot the ball into the demogorgan. The UV kit also looks great.

• Like 3

I was very down on this game when it first came out but over the last two months I’ve had a chance to play it regularly and it has really grown on me. I would go as far to say that the people who are negative on it, maybe haven’t given it enough plays. It can be a little brutal with drains of the center targets, but you can adjust your play to eliminate these. Ive had no issues with ramp diverted and can usually shoot the ball into the demogorgan. The UV kit also looks great.

Nice one.

I’m a huge ST fan and a fan of blacklight/UV so I can imagine how good it looks in person.

Nice one.

I’m a huge ST fan and a fan of blacklight/UV so I can imagine how good it looks in person.

The UV modes are awesome. The only criticism I would have (also as a big ST fan) is that the game misses some of the 80’s coolness and humor. I do really like the SH@T (shit) mode which always makes me laugh!

Cleland’s Alt soundtrack mix (with a couple of 80’s songs on it) does also help lift the game to a higher level.

• Like 2

I am still really enjoying my modded out pro alot. So much so I am going to fit a new playfield that has been re cleared just to make it even better and longer lasting, and poilsh and tweak all of the playfield right up.

Some of my observations and feeling on it. Bearing in mind I am generally not a fan of any new games tbh.

Theme - well our whole house loved the series so it is a no brainer

Sound - amazing just with a simple sub upgrade and fine tuning the onboard eq settings

Game play - suited to my likes, feels alot like my Afm and Theatre to me flow wise. I am not a full blown comp nitty gritty player just love flow, art, sound and fun factor.

Yet to complete everything by a long way. I have it setup up steep and fast.

Demo - Can hit it in the mouth approx 1 in 5-7 shots or therabouts, most people who play it get it in at least once in a game or two. All I did was remove the front small hex post.

Personally not a fan of the magnet diverter and projector on the premium and LE and very happy with what I have done with my pro. I know others love it though.

There's some stuff over on pinside about flipper fade and a guys has made some bolt on fan mods to cool the coils - personally never had an issue, even with playing for 3 hours or more.

Lock post was replaced by Amd - it was faulty in production.

I replaced coil stops from new with better quality ones.

So overall very happy with it and fits well in my 10 or so collection. I went into the purchase knowing I would change it straight away though as I pretty much can't stand the art packages Stern put out - but that is just my own view and taste.

I would love to see a video mode - retro arcade based maybe - but I doubt they will pony up and extend themselves on this.

Pretty sure they just want to keep pumping out titles every few months.

It's sort of a love hate relationship for me with Stern. I love they are going strong and putting games out and keeping pinball alive, but the churn out processes and theme translations/art leave me wanting.......

Amd were an absolute pleasure to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again. Polite, great communication and service.

• Like 4

It's sort of a love hate relationship for me with Stern. I love they are going strong and putting games out and keeping pinball alive, but the churn out processes and theme translations/art leave me wanting.......

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I find it particularly frustrating Stern are increasingly leaving out inexpensive features on many of their pro model's in order to sell more premiums and LE's. The fact they have left out entire ramps on their last two pro releases (that couldn't cost more than $50 at most to manufacture) is a concerning new trend.

• Like 4

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I find it particularly frustrating Stern are increasingly leaving out inexpensive features on many of their pro model's in order to sell more premiums and LE's. The fact they have left out entire ramps on their last two pro releases (that couldn't cost more than $50 at most to manufacture) is a concerning new trend.

Agree but look at the two titles, what could they leave out instead. They both have no toys to talk about like metallica etc, they couldn't redesign the ramp config like gb. So what could they have changed for the pro.

a guy here said something that could be true. Look at a Borg game. Pro or premium title of his are both acceptable purchases in their own right. He believes Borg designs the premium model first and then removes gear. The others may start with the pro and then radically think what they can add to make up a premium. Look at Ritchie in particular, huge pieces of playfield go missing in his pros re game of thrones, black knight etc. Yes Borg munster lost the lower pf but in general his games are very much stand alone models.

So I'm interested if they left the ramp in for ls, what could have been removed to warrant a pro model?

edit just noticed I'm in the stranger things thread DOH. Anyway played the pro for the first time last night and it's good, dunno why no love for this game

So I'm interested if they left the ramp in for ls, what could have been removed to warrant a pro model?

"What could they leave out" is the problem with Stern's 3 tiered game model system.

Basically they have resorted to handicapping the Pro models not because of cost, but in order to boost the sales on the premium versions.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I played about 10 games on this when it first came out and wasn't impressed.

Played the game very recently and really loved it. Good code, great flow. If I had the cash I would grab a Pro version.

I think it will become really popular down the track.

• Like 2

Im still looking to play one of these. Not so easy to find one in the wild or find somebody close with one at home. The theme didnt grab me so I avoided it after some average reviews. But I think it would now be a very entertaining game.

Im still looking to play one of these. Not so easy to find one in the wild or find somebody close with one at home. The theme didnt grab me so I avoided it after some average reviews. But I think it would now be a very entertaining game.

yes it is pro version very much so

• Like 1

• 2 years later...