IGNORED

Kraken Pinball

Last time I built a pin, I did all of the physical work first, then started coding at the very end. This time I want to be able to play my pin as soon as possible! So last night I started working in MPF (Mission Pinball Framework) to set up the basic game modes. Went through the MPF tutorial to refresh my memory and set up modes for mystery awards, combos, shots, and skillshots.

If you're thinking of building a pin, I highly recommend MPF. Once you get used to the basics, it's so easy to use without having to know any programming languages.

I designed a Kraken logo and used some Adobe After Effects templates to use for different awards and titles.

kraken-1.jpg.c363c24d75e26e56433fa3864837c21f.jpg

Combos, jackpots, and skillshot awards will pop up over the top of the main screen like this:

kraken-2.jpg.a14d72b8eb7b75d50a49592d050eadfe.jpg

Found a great template that animates a book and opens up on a page. This is perfect for mystery awards.

kraken-3.jpg.75a91d71e3f1eab9bc25b26b148acd4e.jpg

I was a bit worried at first about using a big display, but this is way better than hand drawing pixel animations frame by frame from scratch for a DMD like I did last time.

• Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming along nicely :) I'm using MPF also. It looks to be a great framework.

While LCD animations are nice to look at, I think call outs are equally as important (maybe even more so) for the player. When playing, I'm often too focused on the playfield and relying on clear call outs and sound effects that allow me to know what's going on at any given time. So I think while you're working away on ideas for the display, give some real thought to the audio that will go with it.

Smoothed out the clay head and added some texture to it. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2098931}[/ATTACH]

Boxed up the tentacle loop and prepared it for mould making.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2098932}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2098934}[/ATTACH]

It used a lot of the silicone, so I'm going to need to buy a lot for the head. It started to firm up within about 10 minutes, which was plenty of time to work it.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2098933}[/ATTACH]

Once I cut the clay out, I'll try casting it.

Not much else I can work on while I wait for parts, so I'm going to start working on the media for the screen. Here's a mockup of the layout I'm thinking about for the main screen.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2098935}[/ATTACH]

It won't have bright colours like this one, this is just so I can figure out what works and what doesn't.

Looks great!!!

You might have issues getting that tenticle out.

Those suckers will either have not filled (air pockets) or you won’t be able to undercut them. If you do it upside down they might fill or turn the mould while 1/2,2/3 full.

Have a look on YouTube at the brickinthemould channel. They are really good at explaining this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While LCD animations are nice to look at, I think call outs are equally as important (maybe even more so) for the player.

Absolutely, call outs are so important. I've been building a list of call outs as I go so I can record them in bulk later on. It's a quick and easy job to record a script, but animations take a lot longer to create, so that's why I'm starting them now.

You might have issues getting that tenticle out.

Those suckers will either have not filled (air pockets) or you won’t be able to undercut them. If you do it upside down they might fill or turn the mould while 1/2,2/3 full.

It was a bit of work to get the clay tentacle out, but the silicone is pretty flexible.

Slushing the resin around during casting was enough to make sure everything was filled properly. On my first attempt, I didn't add enough resin, but slushing it around was enough to build a firm wall at the ends as you can see below. On the second attempt, I filled it properly and it turned out fine.

kraken-cast.jpg.287d9b896d7aeb6306d9091884b004e3.jpg

These will be painted later once I figure out the playfield art to make sure everything else matches.

• Like 4

Absolutely, call outs are so important. I've been building a list of call outs as I go so I can record them in bulk later on. It's a quick and easy job to record a script, but animations take a lot longer to create, so that's why I'm starting them now.

It was a bit of work to get the clay tentacle out, but the silicone is pretty flexible.

Slushing the resin around during casting was enough to make sure everything was filled properly. On my first attempt, I didn't add enough resin, but slushing it around was enough to build a firm wall at the ends as you can see below. On the second attempt, I filled it properly and it turned out fine.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2099763}[/ATTACH]

These will be painted later once I figure out the playfield art to make sure everything else matches.

That texture came out great!

Where were you getting your resins from? Somewhere local?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't have anything to vacuum de-gas so it ended up with some tiny bubbles, but it definitely won't be noticeable with the glass on.

I think they look outstanding exactly as is with the air bulbs and the colour to tell you the truth. I think a couple of RGB LEDs set into the silicon below the playfield level and use them to colour the silicon to your taste or even different colours to indicate how far through a stage you are at till it goes red and the beast is defeated on to the next stage. Why paint it when the feature can do so much more?..

• Like 1

I think a couple of RGB LEDs set into the silicon below the playfield level and use them to colour the silicon to your taste or even different colours to indicate how far through a stage you are at till it goes red and the beast is defeated on to the next stage. Why paint it when the feature can do so much more?..

I think you're right - lighting them up from below and using different colours would look good. It'll probably work better with a completely clear resin instead of having the orange tint. That way the colours from RGB LEDs would really pop. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to do some tests.

I'd keep the air bubbles in the mix because they will aid the light going through it. You could always go the the fish markets and get a real old octopus that didn't sell, boil it to make it hard, drop it in plaster of paris till it sets and then put it on an ants nest for a couple of days and let them eat the flesh out.:lol I do like what your one looks like as is but that process would be as realistic as possible, maybe a bit to life like.:o
  • Like 3

Parts arrived, so I'll finally get to make some real progress. The plan is to wire up the minimum parts so I can get it flipping and see how the shots feel. Then if I'm happy with the layout, I'll add the other parts and wire everything up.

kraken_1.thumb.jpg.ebb46976aa04f7cebdbb322a6b99c3f7.jpg

The cardboard ramps were a pain to put together, but they do a good enough job.

kraken_2.jpg.0db1754f57114980e4a39605de0fee0c.jpg

kraken_3.thumb.jpg.22f296a65f3ca5c87aefb0236ec2a78f.jpg

kraken_4.jpg.2fb8ccc0d16ac8d1cb0bb9a25886d2c7.jpg

• Like 6

Wired the FAST boards to the flippers and flipper buttons so I can quickly test the layout.

kraken_2.thumb.jpg.7981709ad5a1b8dd7bcf7ac55248cc6e.jpg

Pretty happy with how the shots feel and make some adjustments to the cardboard positions. But overall, the layout feels good.

kraken_1.jpg.a66cb0c8b1bb32a3b30293571f220066.jpg

Now I'll unplug everything, remove the cardboard, then add all the other hardware. I'll trace the layout before I add all the other hardware so I can scan it into my PC and start planning the artwork, inserts layout, etc.

Wiring up the flippers made me remember how much work it was to wire up my last pin. Not looking forward to doing it all again!

• Like 3

Added the other hardware to the playfield. Not really worried about adding rollover targets at this stage, still want to test the layout and make sure the shots feel good.

kraken_1.jpg.b24616f6e80d229a706b6630a86ae6d1.jpg

Added a lower scoop that points at the right loop shot. The idea is that the scoop would return the ball to the upper right flipper. I didn't think it would work but it does. The cardboard does an okay job at passing the ball through towards the right flipper. Hopefully the metal guides will do a better job.

kraken_2.jpg.055ea93ef2253282502c3e1e0c7e5ce8.jpg

Here's a rough idea of what it will look like with the kraken head in position.

kraken_3.jpg.e62350462610a0dc1aec2ec1666f9fb8.jpg

I'm happy with how it looks so I boxed it up and added the silicone.

kraken_4.jpg.7074fdf8a146c19efda33cd8a5b94346.jpg

It would have taken far too much silicon to cover completely, so on the second half I added cornflour to the silicone to thicken it up like a paste. Cut down how much silicone I needed to use by a lot.

kraken_5.jpg.0dbf53a37bb327c2772a0903f9915736.jpg

• Like 3

Removed the clay from the mould after it cured. This is a big chunk of silicone.

kraken_1.jpg.18fbfac1cbf7839246c5bfb5d6caf137.jpg

It was a pain to pour the resin in the mould. It would have used a lot of resin to fill it, so I had to do it in stages and slosh it around.

kraken_2.jpg.b8b681a1054820dfdf0f9c91a2b5ce5b.jpg

kraken_3.jpg.2a91f02ce602372ab58402dfb04e3b3b.jpg

While it's fairly flexible, this thing is tough. There's definitely not going to be any problems with airballs. You can see I added more resin at the front where it is most likely to get hit by a ball.

kraken_4.jpg.4ead0bc93534f113317741c7cc13b287.jpg

kraken_5.jpg.fdca82de4bfcfe13060e725ce764d4c7.jpg

Just need to trim the edges and clean up the entrance for the ball.

• Like 6

Designed the two ramps in CAD a week ago after some YouTube tutorials and had them laser cut.

kraken_1.jpg.f639545715555f7d5a803838fa361e9b.jpg

It's probably not obvious how these ramps will work, but these photos should give a good hint:

kraken_2.jpg.2e4d91e9bf3e76b6b26798526540e133.jpg

kraken_3.thumb.jpg.18810b55da6688ea0d00697f6a375e46.jpg

I created the curve by carefully rolling the sheet over the glass jar shown earlier. The hard angles were easy in a vice.

kraken_4.jpg.5e6034f80edbf581bb837dae7ca4be80.jpg

Have no idea if these will work, but luckily it's pretty cheap to cut different versions if needed.

• Like 4

With every new post I'm thoroughly impressed with how fast you are making each component!

Haha thanks, I guess I'm just impatient and want to skip to the end result. Posting here helps keep me motivated so hopefully I don't burn out.

• Like 1

Hi @matthies , what size stainless are you using for your ramps, is it 2mm? Just wondering as Im currently designing ramps and looking at strength vs plyability . :unsure as the bending of curves will be how you have done it.

I used 3mm and it feels really solid. I imagine I could have used 2mm and it would have been fine.

• Like 2

I borrowed a mate's TIG and managed to weld the ramps together. First time using a TIG so I was glad I didn't destroy them.

kraken_1.jpg.9736b97723e0a39990acc20da6f3ec87.jpg

The holes in the sides and the brackets sticking out are for the optos. The sides will be covered with a sticker, so the scratches you can see don't matter.

kraken_2.jpg.f097e704254f029b8bfb52aa542c2328.jpg

kraken_4.jpg.e733645073593be75f9c44d4fb1b4f5b.jpg

I like it when I can always see the ball, so I designed these ramps so they don't block the view to the outside orbit.

kraken_5.thumb.jpg.f5d043238fd538ffac2311db9fcb148c.jpg

Note that the ramps will be pushed back behind the blue targets compared to what you see above.

Next job is to make the wireforms. The plan after that is to make tentacles that wrap around the ramps.

• Like 5

Bloody hell you work fast. That is really looking the goods. Have you considered taking these creations to any of the large meets and comps. There is always huge interest in homebrew pins and yours look top-notch.

Thanks, if things go well this year I hope to bring this to something like Flipout. It would be great to get feedback and coding ideas from other people.

• Like 3

I made some rings so I can start trying to put together the wireforms for the ramps.

Started by wrapping the wire around an old vacuum pole.

kraken_1.thumb.jpg.d930300087518ca23fe6044e801a45aa.jpg

Cutting the rings was a bit messy as the tension would change as each ring was cut off. So the wire kept shifting as you can see below.

kraken_2.jpg.9666b17941726901f23fe1ec4f386c61.jpg

But managed to get a few useable rings out of it.

kraken_3.jpg.be427a2ff8c3a1be3b09e86e6aa8888c.jpg

After cleaning up the ends and bending them to form a decent circle, I used silver solder to join the ends. I don't know how well this will hold, but I just couldn't get the TIG to weld it properly.

kraken_4.jpg.652954ec500d9b84e63e46832bc30644.jpg

Pretty happy with the end result after cleaning up the join and I couldn't pull it apart with my hands, so that's a good sign.

kraken_5.jpg.a6d10e96f46bdcda920cab53e0c0dc98.jpg

• Like 4