IGNORED

Disco Elysium - PC RPG

Hey guys,

If you're into oldschool point and click isometric RPGs, you have to check out Disco Elysium. It's in the vein of old games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Stupidly text heavy and dense, it's like playing a novel. Hours of reading and interacting with characters and the environment. Pretty much no combat, it's all talking and doing detective work. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world after a brutal revolution, the setting is one of the best aspects of the game.

It lets you play however you want. I have chosen to follow a middle ground path, avoiding all political extremes, which has ended up making me a moralist according to the game world. However, if you want to be a drunken, shit-talking communist, or a hell bent free-market capitalist, you can be. It really changes how the game plays, as everything is based on skill checks. As my character has worked out to be a perceptive moralist, it gives me more speech options down those paths.

It's really an amazing game in an incredibly niche market. I haven't played a story drive RPG this good since The Witcher 3. Totally different game worlds and play style, but the depth of the story goes beyond even that of The Witcher 3.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators
On 30/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, namastepat said:

Hey guys,

If you're into oldschool point and click isometric RPGs, you have to check out Disco Elysium. It's in the vein of old games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Stupidly text heavy and dense, it's like playing a novel. Hours of reading and interacting with characters and the environment. Pretty much no combat, it's all talking and doing detective work. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world after a brutal revolution, the setting is one of the best aspects of the game.

It lets you play however you want. I have chosen to follow a middle ground path, avoiding all political extremes, which has ended up making me a moralist according to the game world. However, if you want to be a drunken, shit-talking communist, or a hell bent free-market capitalist, you can be. It really changes how the game plays, as everything is based on skill checks. As my character has worked out to be a perceptive moralist, it gives me more speech options down those paths.

It's really an amazing game in an incredibly niche market. I haven't played a story drive RPG this good since The Witcher 3. Totally different game worlds and play style, but the depth of the story goes beyond even that of The Witcher 3.

Just bought this on special on GOG. Really enjoying it so far.

• Like 1