IGNORED

YouTube Videos of Interest

Arcade King

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two things I am not short of at the farm ATM are water and wood. While this video is rough as guts, this YouTube video got the brain thinking > I can improve on this idea and use it to produce battery power to charge my batteries even in winter or at night, both these things something the solar panels are not doing a great job of right now in winter, in an alpine area with short light hours.

Thinking using a 4 stroke single but reconfigured to 2 stroke. 4 stroke motor may take care of oil to lubricate. Big flywheel like his motorbike wheel but a belt on it around a car alternator or a wind turbine motor, I have a few of those that need to spin at rediculious rpms to produce any usable power but far less resistance than an unmodded car alternator.

Wish me luck.

• Like 2

Wish me luck.

To help with any calculations you may be doing, remember a quote from Dr Karl about the layman's form of the 3 laws of thermodynamics:

1. you cannot win;
  2. you cannot break even; and
  3. you will always lose.

Hope that helps :)

Note: this quote was taken from an article he wrote about water powered engines (https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2009/06/23/2604574.htm), which what you're attempting has nothing to do with, but it reminded me of the article.

• Like 1

To help with any calculations you may be doing, remember a quote from Dr Karl about the layman's form of the 3 laws of thermodynamics:

1. you cannot win;
  2. you cannot break even; and
  3. you will always lose.

Hope that helps :)

Note: this quote was taken from an article he wrote about water powered engines (https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2009/06/23/2604574.htm), which what you're attempting has nothing to do with, but it reminded me of the article.

Yer water powered cars is a the holy grail but no, this is simply using a internal combustion motor as a steam engine without building the whole engine, just the boiler and I've sorted the boiler, a caravan gas bottle. Rated at 500psi and has a pressure release valve built in so shouldn't explode although I'd put in another lower rated pressure release in as well.

This is a better video but it goes through all the steps and is one of five videos.

https://youtu.be/8G1h4xR5q5Q?t=16

It is also the same motor I have a few of. Seems the major problem I can see is rust....Maybe soluble oil or boiler oil would solve this.

I also intend on simplifing the design. Steam goes in the sparkplug hole using the soloniod valve idea of the first guy and steam comes out a hole drilled in the bottom of the combustion chamber after the piston goes down below it. Now you don't need valves or a valve train, just take out the pushrods.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming this is all true (as it doesn't mention it in the Bally Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Manufacturing)), is this common knowledge in the pinball community? That the 'Mob' bailed out Bally from going under?

Does that mean we wouldn't have had those 90's era machines if it wasn't for the mob? Or would Williams have made them anyway on their own? :unsure

Start watching from 1:08:00.

• Like 2

Assuming this is all true (as it doesn't mention it in the Bally Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Manufacturing)), is this common knowledge in the pinball community? That the 'Mob' bailed out Bally from going under?

Does that mean we wouldn't have had those 90's era machines if it wasn't for the mob? Or would Williams have made them anyway on their own?

Who Bally....Noooo. What ever would make you think that just because Bally has a poker machine division that used to have the same name as there pinball division.

Here's something you may not know.

Bally pinball decided to change names from Bally, like there poker machines devision and swapped to using there video machine arm's name, Midway.

Bally saw microsoft not make a big inpact with there Xbox in Japan and it was alleged this was partially due to the Japanese being very patriotic and supporting the Japanese company, Sony.

Wanting to crack the lucrative Japanese console market and not wanting to fail using a US named company like Microsoft, Bally bought a failing Japanese company called "Nintendo". May have a bit of trouble finding any tell tales of this on the net regarding this but a good hint would be Midway's driver Crusin' USA that mentions Nintendo in the machine's attract mode.

When Midway was merged with Williams, the name reverted back to Bally for pinballs thus Bally/Williams as we knew them but more interesting is Williams had nothing to do with poker machines prior to or at this time.

When the Williams pinball division decided to get out of pinballs, they left to get into the more lucrative poker machine industry. As far as I know the name Williams still to this day you will not find on a poker machine, it is Bally but Williams did do an excellent poker machine linking program featuring "streamed poker machines" that turned out popular in the US and several other countries and that software does use the name Williams.

These were "stories" I heard in the industry. Never had any reason to doubt them exactly like I never found any reason to doubt Bally's connection with the mob stories that most people had heard of within the industry.

• Like 4

Does that mean we wouldn't have had those 90's era machines if it wasn't for the mob? Or would Williams have made them anyway on their own? :unsure

Start watching from 1:08:00.

Very interesting interview. There definitely are some nuggets of wisdom in there, however true the hearsay might be. Watched the whole thing, was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...