Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Importing a Machine From The States (completed with costs)

punkin

Hi all, tried a search, but happy for mods to move to an existing thread. Happy also if others know where it's been discussed before to read any links that may answer my probably oft asked questions.

Can't find my Sorcerer here and just missed a nice one on pinside. Thinking that rather than a private sale in the States it would be safer for me to avoid surprises to buy a restored machine from a dealer/restorer.

While it would be lovely to own a HEP, i haven't got that type of time to invest and wouldn't want the sort of money tied up in a museum quality piece, but would like rebuilt cab, new/restored playfield, plastic, backglass etc.

While i have had Jason at pinball classics recommended to me as an importer, i was after recommendations on a supplier in the States.

I found the Pinball Perfection website (eyes are still bleeding) but have not contacted them yet. http://www.pinballperfection.com/ But it looks like they are the type of retailer i'm looking for. I'm just after feedback from those who may have attempted this process before or even have tagged along on a virtual experience that others have had with this or other retailers.

Any general advice is also appreciated.

Edited by punkin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just be careful here as you might end up paying $10,000 for a pinball and when you go to sell, will be lucky to get $5000 for it.

I have seen this happen so often, to guys that are just so impatient to get their dream machine only to want to offload it within months.

I'm sure there are a lot of other better pinball options here in Australia for you to buy, at a fraction of the cost of this venture.

Thank you, i understand there are risks and that costs have to be calculated, but it seems the price of the machine i want in the states will cover the freight and import costs to a large degree.

This is the one i missed, https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/81738

$2,200US ($3,300au) for what they are calling restored, the only one i can find here is $2,500 and is a basket case.

I actually think that i will end up paying much more buying that basket case and a new playfield, plastics and backglass set then paying someone to restore it.

I understand that a retail machine is going to be more, and i don't want to sell it, my executors can sell my machines.

Can you tell me more about the import costs as a retailer?

Do you still have the Tommy BTW?

IMO just stop looking at pins in America it will only make you feel bad :) As Tony said above you will end up paying double what they are worth, shipping will cost more and be more time consuming than you think, the cheaper sale price will not cover the freight in most cases.

Buying from a dealer in the US does not really decrease the risk of surprises.

Why not just put a wanted post here and be patient? you could also contact a few importers here and tell them what games you are interested in and ask to be put on a waiting list. Ask to be first to inspect if the title you want comes in, but I would be cautious buying or putting a deposit on a game in advance before seeing and playing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at your wanted list there was a SoF listed here a couple of days ago, did you grab that? that might tide you over while you wait for a Tommy or Sorcerer?

I have done this in the past and unless you have connections with a importer agent and getting through customs it isn't worth it especially if you can't ship with other pins in a container.

A $1000USD purchase turned into a $3000 AUD cost back when the dollar was almost equal value.

I have done this in the past and unless you have connections with a importer agent and getting through customs it isn't worth it especially if you can't ship with other pins in a container.

A $1000USD purchase turned into a $3000 AUD cost back when the dollar was almost equal value.

Thanks, actual experience is what i was after. What did the other $2k end up being made up of?

Shipping for LCL is usually pretty reasonable, it's the clearance costs that end up adding up.

Yes i do have an importer i use regularly as that is a big part of my every day business.

Yes i deal with that stuff all the time. I'm fairly aware of the cost and i am registered for GST so it doesn't really count for me, give and take for Uncle Bas every 3 months (claim it back).

I'm looking for a car in the States now, so i reckon 3 pinball machines will fot in the back of the one i want if i strip the seats out too.

May be time for a trip over there i think. Baseball, Nascars, tarpon and pinballs.

I'm looking for a car in the States now, so i reckon 3 pinball machines will fit in the back of the one i want if i strip the seats out too.

If your going that far you could also put a few kilos of happy dust inside the pins, customs would never think to look inside the car. :lol

Yes i deal with that stuff all the time. I'm fairly aware of the cost and i am registered for GST so it doesn't really count for me, give and take for Uncle Bas every 3 months (claim it back).

I'm looking for a car in the States now, so i reckon 3 pinball machines will fot in the back of the one i want if i strip the seats out too.

May be time for a trip over there i think. Baseball, Nascars, tarpon and pinballs.

Just make sure there's no asbestos in the car, heard some horror stories about that

I'm aware of the brakes and they usually buy new brake parts and put them in the cars just in case customs pulls the absestos card.

Last time they did that with one of my shipments it cost me 6k when they unpacked 10 crates of stainless boilers and then tested a nylock nut and a silicon seal for asbestos and they sat on the docks for a week while it was going on.

You guys know that besides the Hankins, someone imported all the machines in Australia at some stage?

I’ve heard that some cars used asbestos seals for the exhausts and stuff aswell so do your homework wouldn’t want you to get bitten over a stupid rule so wanker made up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk