Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bally supersonic or Zaccaria clown

robm

I picked up a supersonic and Zaccaria clown for somebody else. Both need repairs however are in fairly straight condition. There may be the opportunity for me to get one in return for repairing the other.

Which one would you keep and why?

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Maybe start asking yourself which one YOU prefer ;-)
That's the thing. I've never played either so am after some insight from those who have played them.

• Administrators

@Dedrok what do you reckon laughing boy? Clown for the look of it for me. If the full backglass setup is there it is a great looking game. A better player than me needs to advise you on gameplay and long term interest.

Dave

Which one has the better condition backglass? knowing playfields can be repaired IMO the backglass is the first port of call.

I have a Supersonic and don't plan ever parting with it, love the backglass and the simplicity of game play, although I have yet to clock it in over 25 years.

Basically going for numbers 1 to 5 repeatedly, with the number 2 only available at the top, and when lit opens a gate on the rhs, the number 1 in the middle and 3,4 & 5 on the rhs, 5 drop targets on the lhs for extra ball and one of the Specials and a kick out hole for times bonus.

Clown is bursting with colours and although it's by Zaccaria it's not as common as a Supersonic which may appeal more.

What are your first thoughts @robm ?

It was a funny coincidence how this happened... I am currently away from home at Mackay for work and I had to pick up an Addams to help out someone else. Then a local Tsv guy called me yesterday when I had a spare hour and he was speaking to the fella with both machines who was moving house and wanted them gone ASAP. So luckily I was actually in Mackay with a ute where the machines were!

So I had a 2 minute look at the machines before throwing them on the back of the ute and then also the Addams. From first look both have reasonable cabinets, clown playfield and back glass are prob better than supersonic.

Honestly I hardly looked at them and now they are all wrapped up in a tarp and I won't get a chance to unload and inspect properly until the weekend.

I have a Zaccaria locomotion and like it and also have a bally paragon and rolling stones so have a bit of a feel for that era of machines.

That's the thing. I've never played either so am after some insight from those who have played them.

I thought you had a go at them already, but still, unwrap, play them and see what you like more.

Imho, no art will beat a game play that you like, unless it’s a rare game you want to keep for the sake of collecting.

In that regard, I’d keep Clown as Supersonic is more common.

I’m actually surprised the buyer has no preference either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

The supersonic would be easier to keep going so keep the Clown 🤡 as you’d probably need to work on it again at some stage I’d suspect.

Supersonic is also a basic game. But fun so he’d enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, tough choice Rob.

I love my Bally SS games but now due to me having a Zacc Locomotion myself I'm really starting to appreciate them. If it was a Farfalla I'd take that it isn't so I vote for the Supersonic for the win.

I've had two Supersonics. Gotta love that backglass. Game play got a bit boring after a while but it was a good machine to flog when you got a chance but that was far and few between. That startup tune I loved...Off we go, to the wide blue younder.....Sounded excellent with the reverb turned right up.

The Clown, never played one, never worked on one. What are the Zacs like to work on?

The Zac showroom used to be on Canterbury Road Belmore for years. used to see it driving past all the time heading to Taito. They had about 20 machines in there all down one wall.

Never dropped in because it was a place you simply couldn't park nearby.

A bit of an update... The decision was made for me! The guy who got onto the 2 machines finally came to look at them and decided he wanted the Zac Clown. So it looks like I have a Bally Supersonic!

Both need work. Some funky switch and coil issues and no sound with Clown and Supersonic is only booting intermittently and sound is a constant tone. I have repinned the boards and rebuilt the solenoid driver board but will send the mpu and sound boards to Ken.

Backglass of supersonic is OK but has some peeling in one corner.

Hopefully I can find someone who can repair the Zac sound board.

b90a3bb36cf75ab57bcbdadc332dddec.jpgb4155da18c71e177a20bfb3ad9cb6cd2.jpgef9ffc64d276417a1bd3ceb98a3c52dc.jpgbcf215829b051284bf836e5860bd8b78.jpg161361a1f7e27a9c65436a65239a359d.jpg