Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Ready Player One

Some love it, some hate it.. I actually didn't mind it and enjoyed all the 80s & 90s pop culture references :) Sometimes is good to watch a film like this every now and then.

Did anyone else notice the Revenge from Mars pinnie in the background of the end scene?

Here's a complete reference guide to all the pop culture easter eggs: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/ready-player-one/272148/ready-player-one-easter-eggs-references-movie-guide-complete

I listened to the audio book narrated by Will Wheaton a couple of years ago and enjoyed that, it was flawed in ways but still enjoyable and compelling for any classic gamer. So I have been looking forward to the movie, I have read a few reviews and I'm prepared for it to not feature games as much as the book. I'm expecting a fun nostalgic movie without any depth, I will go in with low expectations so as to avoid disappointment :)

I was kind of interested until I found out Steven Spielberg, director of such films as 1942 and Always, was at the helm.

Funny, I wasn't interested until I found out Steven Spielberg, director of such films as Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, was at the helm.

I thought the book had a great story which was severely undermined by horrible pacing, but Spielberg is a director who could overcome these problems. This is a movie I actually want to see at the cinema, extremely rare these days.

I was kind of interested until I found out Steven Spielberg, director of such films as 1942 and Always, was at the helm. I'll probably give it a look down the track anyway though.

Same. And when I saw the trailers, that fear was tripled. Ugh.

I read the book a couple years or so ago when someone on AA reccomended it due to the 80's gaming / music / movies refs and loved the whole book - especially when he (spoiler alert) has to duel the guardian-dude in JOUST - one of my favourite Arcade games of all time.

I'll definitely go see it though, just to see how much Spielburg mangles it or otherwise.

I saw it Monday, and enjoyed it, lots of pop culture thingy's in it to make you grin, its just a good fun movie with predictable goodies and badies, and some good comedy thrown in. If you enjoyed Back to the Future type movies, you will enjoy this, also if you are a gamer, you will also like it.

Dont look for deep and meaningful plot, just a fun flick. Definitely worth seeing on a big screen.

Saw this today and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

I would have said I loved it as the first half was just purely amazing in discovering the world and its pop culture references, but for me the second half seemed to drop off as it got more serious and politically correct with its real world is better blah blah...

If i was judging the first half i would honestly say it is the best movie i have seen in years! In the end though I still think it will be my favorite this year.

I fully expect Avengers to be amazing but it wont be fresh like this was.

If you are remotely interested in this GO SEE IT in the cinema to get the full effect! :cool:

Hey @Cursed, did you see in in gold class and have shots :p Good film eh...

Hey Graaaaant! (sorry had to!) :lol

Yeah it was gold class mate, no shots though! :D

Still want to say the first half of this movie was awesome! AWESOME!

Saw the movie yesterday, very different to the book. Some changes were obviously necessary, and, as I expected, most of the boring parts of the novel were left out. Overall a good movie, but there were a few things I didn't like (no spoilers):

*The villain is a generic, technologically inept businessman. From memory, he was actually a skilled gamer in the book, not as radically different to Wade.

*I thought the featured pop culture was too broad; the book had much more emphasis on the 80s, which gave it more of a distinctive feel.

*I would have liked to see more of the everyday stuff in the OASIS, world-building scenes not directly related to the plot.