IGNORED

Has the bubble burst?

adamsebas

With so many new titles now on the market (or available to order) it seems that the days of trying to sell secondhand machines for prices close to retail are gone.

Unless I am wrong it seems that people are now having difficulty trying to move L.E's for around the 12k mark. There is already a GOTG up for 11.5k and many SW L.E's have been listed.

It seems that the supply and demand ratio has shifted significantly in the last 12 months and will probably see secondhand L.E's (from say the last 3-4 yrs) start to be listed and sell for closer to 10k (prob lower) with Prems around 8k and 6k for Pros.

When you look at what is currently available (below) you can see why people may have difficulty getting decent return on recently released pins. Good for the secondhand buying market for sure!

Iron Maiden,

Nightmare Castle,

Houdini,

POTC,

Dialled In,

Aliens,

GOTG,

Aerosmith,

Ghostbusters,

Metallica,

Star Wars,

Spiderman Vault,

WWE,

AC/DC,

Batman 66,

AFMR,

MMR

Pointing at interest rate rises won't necessarily mean the bubble bursts on pinball. However for those that use the equity in their home to purchase machines are certainly going to feel the pinch and it's gonna hurt you.

Gotg le still avail new so hard to get full price. Swle the two Insaw were 12 and 13k plus

- - - Updated - - -

Yes there are a lot of millionaires out there now. I know I was being told this on a daily basis by customers until I had enough and said, yeah sell your house and move into a bus shelter and then you can really call yourself a millionaire.

@hotty has a point, collections purchased on home equity means they don't cost $10k but $10k plus 30 years of compound interest. Do the sums

Gotg le still avail new so hard to get full price. Swle the two Insaw were 12 and 13k plus

- - - Updated - - -

Yes there are a lot of millionaires out there now. I know I was being told this on a daily basis by customers until I had enough and said, yeah sell your house and move into a bus shelter and then you can really call yourself a millionaire.

@hotty has a point, collections purchased on home equity means they don't cost $10k but $10k plus 30 years of compound interest. Do the sums

Doubt anyone is going to pay that for SWLE...can still get them new yeah? I think if you pay 12.5k for a machine and sell in say 6mths then 10k is fair.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Doubt anyone is going to pay that for SWLE...can still get them new yeah? I think if you pay 12.5k for a machine and sell in say 6mths then 10k is fair.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

LE's no more nib from stern

I tend to agree but a lot want close to what they paid. I figure just the buzz of nib is worth $500 in itself, a bit like driving a car out of the lot.

I hope the bubble does burst and everything becomes worth f**k all old and new, this overinflated market is shit for this hobby it should be cheap and fun not ridiculously expensive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope the bubble does burst and everything becomes worth f**k all old and new, this overinflated market is shit for this hobby it should be cheap and fun not ridiculously expensive

Are you volunteering to get the ball rolling?

Please sell me an Addams or TZ for 3k :)

everyone wants bargains but top dollar when selling

this thread is beating a dead horse

Times have changed for sure. When I bought a Surfer from a neighborhood guy back in 1982 for $150 which he won in a pinball comp I thought it was an OK deal. The machine was old by then (6 years) and had been replaced by solid state machines. So the Surfer had been on route for a few years and paid for itself then some. Now machines are being bought by people for home use and are not earning there way. Those people want to get the same dollar back when they sell as opposed to a person who makes the machine value back plus more from siting it (and the wear that goes with that). So times have changed for sure.

Are you volunteering to get the ball rolling?

Please sell me an Addams or TZ for 3k :)

everyone wants bargains but top dollar when selling

this thread is beating a dead horse

I buy to keep not to sell, plus I don’t own or like Adams family or TZ or any other abbreviations like that.

I’m not here for an investment I’m here for fun the bubble will probably burst when we all start to die off and our kids have to sell all of our crap to people who don’t want to pay ridiculous money for it then there will be all these cheap collections coming up on the market for sale.[emoji6][emoji4]

I buy to keep not to sell, plus I don’t own or like Adams family or TZ or any other abbreviations like that.

I’m not here for an investment I’m here for fun the bubble will probably burst when we all start to die off and our kids have to sell all of our crap to people who don’t want to pay ridiculous money for it then there will be all these cheap collections coming up on the market for sale.[emoji6][emoji4]

Same, I havent bought a pinball for years, nor sold any. Mine were bought a 1/3 of the price they are now, Some times I get tempted to sell them, but I know if I sold them I wouldnt buy a replacement as I refuse to spend the cash being asked even if its equal value to mine. So all that would happen if sold my machines is I would keep the cash and be with out a pinball.

Its to much money to put that sort of cash into a box of toys. I used tobe at Pinball shed to swap my pins out every few months, but No way now with current prices

With so many new titles now on the market (or available to order) it seems that the days of trying to sell secondhand machines for prices close to retail are gone.

Unless I am wrong it seems that people are now having difficulty trying to move L.E's for around the 12k mark. There is already a GOTG up for 11.5k and many SW L.E's have been listed.

It seems that the supply and demand ratio has shifted significantly in the last 12 months and will probably see secondhand L.E's (from say the last 3-4 yrs) start to be listed and sell for closer to 10k (prob lower) with Prems around 8k and 6k for Pros.

When you look at what is currently available (below) you can see why people may have difficulty getting decent return on recently released pins. Good for the secondhand buying market for sure!

Iron Maiden,

Nightmare Castle,

Houdini,

POTC,

Dialled In,

Aliens,

GOTG,

Aerosmith,

Ghostbusters,

Metallica,

Star Wars,

Spiderman Vault,

WWE,

AC/DC,

Batman 66,

AFMR,

MMR

You missed a few significant titles:

Total Nuclear Annihilation

Thunderbirds Are Go

Monster Bash Remake

P3 Multimorphic Lexi etc.

Plus more suposed to be on the way:

TBL

KP

Homepin illusive second title (Hankin Shark Remake?)

Also, who knows what will happen after 5 days of Deep Rooting! :lol

I've had random people come by to play some games , they always ask "how much do these things cost" . All of them (except for a 94 year old first timer) could play rather well , most of them thought the EM's were initially expensive (but then factored in antique value or some crap) , the SS"s to dear (but they could afford one ) and the Sterns about what they imagined one would cost or as a couple thought GB should be 20 grand .

Same, I havent bought a pinball for years, nor sold any. Mine were bought a 1/3 of the price they are now, Some times I get tempted to sell them, but I know if I sold them I wouldnt buy a replacement as I refuse to spend the cash being asked even if its equal value to mine. So all that would happen if sold my machines is I would keep the cash and be with out a pinball.

Its to much money to put that sort of cash into a box of toys. I used tobe at Pinball shed to swap my pins out every few months, but No way now with current prices

Man, that is totally the way I feel. Except I have taken it a step further and lost interest over the last couple of years for a number of reasons. But certainly stupid pricing plays a big part. I have my games working, and I'm looking forward to the barn meet. So i'm dipping my toe in I guess :)

the bubble will probably burst when we all start to die off and our kids have to sell all of our crap to people who don’t want to pay ridiculous money for it then there will be all these cheap collections coming up on the market for sale.[emoji6][emoji4]

I believe prices will fall off a cliff way before then, most collectors are around 50 now or even older and will struggle to find a new job if they lose their current employment and as people get closer to retirement and look at their super balances many will find they need to sell everything they can to live the lifestyle they want. Most of the other collectors will be in the same position, market flooded with sellers and no buyers equals massive price crash. It won't happen tomorrow, but it will happen.

Like I have said before, "If the bubble bursts and the prices fall, it's only a problem if you sell."

Supply and demand is all about the title I think. Look at Monster bash, Tales of The Arabian Nights, Cactus Canyon, Attack From Mars, Addams Family, Scared Stiff, Medieval Madness, Circus Voltaire and other 'A' list highly sought after titles. These rarely come up for sale, but when they do, they achieve pretty high prices. A lot more than I am prepared to pay for sure. Personally, I don't think the prices of these machines will shift too much, but the common and average titles from the 80's and 'B' grade 90's machines might drop a little more significantly. There are always exceptions to generalising too, so don't bite my head off with "I have a mint restored 78' Playboy or 79' Kiss worth as much as a new small car!" I don't have a crystal ball and the truth is, none of us really know what pinball prices will do over the next 5-10 years, let alone house prices.

We have been over all this before and many threads on the topic. I say, don't worry about it. Be happy with the games you own, play and enjoy them immensely. Live within your means and ensure you provide for your kids. If I was really worried what my games might be currently worth, I shouldn't own them.

Now off to bed for me.............

- - - Updated - - -

We are very lucky to have so many new and awesome pinball machines available to us to buy at the moment. It's a good thing I think.

so true

I lost my high end job ( progressed up the so called pecking tree :lol) and now back 30years on crap money

The only reason why i keep plodding on is that the wife likes pinball as well..:D

Gotta make hay while the sun shines...

I never thought I'd pay more than when I preordered WOZ. Well that was then. Since then I've got close with a very nice Tron and over with a Ghostbusters Premium.

It's all relative. The point being, as my financial situation has changed I've upped what I'm prepared to pay if I really want it. My attitude is you only live once, but I still live within my means so if I really want it I'll go for it.

My observations have been that nib games drop about 15% after 6-18 months. Every new “good” game that’s been released since AC/DC chips away a little more at the desirability and price of your LOTRs, TSPP, AC/DC LEs, METLE, JJPs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade