IGNORED

Candy cab appreciation thread. I want candy!

namastepat

4 hours ago, dzhay1981 said:

faarrk $900. I had no idea they were that expensive.

It was about $500 AUD for the bench itself, then add 3 lots of shipping on top 🥲

Worst part is I ordered it for the PRAS3 I ordered but ended up cancelling, and have no other candy cabs left to use it with!

I may end up selling it or just leaving it boxed… see what the interest is once it arrives 👍

3 hours ago, mR_CaESaR said:

Yeah it's crazy money! I thought the Taito stools were expensive... But taito benches are level

Make some space?! 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 1.21 Gigawatts said:

I recently bought a stool on gumtree that was very similar to some of the arcade two-seaters you see. I was going to get it re-chromed but there’s no local place in Orange and the Sydney places can take weeks and charge a lot. So I went with a silvery powder coat. But yeah it looks grey basically 😏

Love this story.

I found a 43cm chrome stool on gumtree 2-3 years ago that looked exactly like a sega stool only it had some god awful 70s/80s vinyl on it and a bit of rust. I cbf'd driving to get it and assumed I'd see more in the future.  It makes sense that generic stools/stools for other applications would be around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dzhay1981 said:

Love this story.

I found a 43cm chrome stool on gumtree 2-3 years ago that looked exactly like a sega stool only it had some god awful 70s/80s vinyl on it and a bit of rust. I cbf'd driving to get it and assumed I'd see more in the future.  It makes sense that generic stools/stools for other applications would be around.

I find myself looking all the time now. They’re out there…

I already posted in @xb74 CQB thread about some new bits I acquired from his shop and installed this arvo. I also set myself a challenge of back-lighting my CP buttons with power from the Lindbergh cabinet power supply. I worked out a way - one of many - but it was a good exercise in getting parts, learning a bit about crimping and connectors and exploiting the unused power supply. My original intention was to diffuse the light from the 5v led strip by running it through some clear hose and then spray painting the hose white - to simulate a cold cathode tube look. I ran out of time so I tried running some fluro yellow fabric tape across the led strip.  The effect isn’t bad. It almost matches the Orange Lindbergh light bar. There’s way more leds in the strip than I needed but I couldn’t be arsed separating the strip into sections to backlight under the buttons only. All good fun. Been playing for a couple of hours and ready to say this machine is done. 

7EA56148-F765-408C-A5E7-604B369371F0.thumb.jpeg.ce8979473e00e93d748cf3aa321d4cbb.jpeg
9F732551-3B70-49F2-9205-E0AAB9CC81A7.thumb.jpeg.77e5cacfbf9465e8b0a04c0e6dc9ec61.jpegD618ECFB-6C91-41C9-818B-B4EBE6890377.thumb.jpeg.54485256dc00487b243115157f34cc95.jpegAC114CEC-5F0F-4981-B76A-6A3C90D5D304.thumb.jpeg.00e38332cc1d4f0dc2957422befe4ea1.jpeg2EAF2E4E-CB56-4E00-8637-D4851B957D18.thumb.jpeg.61d9d261b206f4d552f9951d62bccb07.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hey guys I've been following this post for awhile now and love the content

I'm on the look for a astro city or similar new astro etc 

Just though I'd ask if anyone is intrested in selling as the ones up at the moment arnt in a condition fit for there price in my opinion

Thanks 😊 

I’ve had my Astro for sale for a few weeks now on AA I would say it’s in pretty good condition, Problem is when you have shelled out almost $500 for monitor repairs you can’t really give it away, at $1750 and now including a 161 in 1 Neo Geo cart and single slot pcb, I feel it’s pretty much the current asking price, like pinballs , arcade cabinets have also risen in price 

anyway pictures are in the for sale section if anyone is genuinely interested

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I scored a Gunbird 2 off eBay the other day and put it in the Blast City. My full clean-up of the Blast was completed recently but the monitor kept turning off after a short time. So I wasn’t bringing it inside. Someone suggested to me (due to cold and damp) to get the hair dryer onto the chassis and warm it up first. The machine was out in the garage in the cold here in Orange. Well to my surprise it worked. I had the hair dryer on low blowing into the back panel for about an hour while I played. I turned the machine and hair dryer off for five minutes to mount the pcb and then after turning the machine back on without the dryer - the monitor proceeded to shut off after a few minutes. Long story short I was buoyed enough by the warming of the inside of the cabinet working to bring it inside. After sitting for a couple of hours to “come up to temp” and any troublesome moisture evaporating I fired her up and she’s been running no prob for a few hours. The monitor needs tuning but it’s bright and doesn’t have any burn-in. The scanlines seem way more visible that I expected. Anyway great times ahead. Getting a real tate CRT cab and OG shmup PCB makes me feel like I’ve hacked life and cracked the code of arcade ownership I dreamed about as a kid. 

Edited by 1.21 Gigawatts
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, djsheep said:

Nice one @1.21 Gigawatts -- nothing ever captures that first moment when everything comes together and the goal you had in mind comes to fruition.

Smack some credits into the machine and get some serious gaming on. Looks fantastic!

Thanks @djsheep Yes it’s a good feeling. I’m loading up service credits at the moment. Is that the go? So the counter doesn’t tick over or something? 

• Like 1