IGNORED

Candy cab appreciation thread. I want candy!

namastepat

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 6:01 PM, djsheep said:

I bought a pair of LS-40 with the wrong connectors for my cabs (spade instead of 5-pin) if you’re interested and they’re the ones you need @gsuttor. Easy enough to wire up by building a harness, I just couldn’t be arsed. 

Just saw this after posting on wanted to buy. Yes please!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heya all

After owning a Blast for 6 months, I've decided that I'm in the market for another Candy. After experiencing how fussy and difficult Blasts are, I'm going to go for something easier to manage.

For my budget around 1000-1500, pretty much looking for either an Astro or a NNC.

That said, besides ZAX(at over 2.2K!), I haven't really seen an NNC.

What do you all suggest?

• Like 1

Yeah, Will definitely make a post on it. 

Just deciding on which to get lol. 

I suppose NNC being tri sync is more flexible if I ever decide to go for newer hardware like Naomi or System 2X6.

Personally, I’d go for an Astro City if you want an easy to use cab with lots of spare parts around for it. If you want 480p, then either a Naomi Universal or New Net City would be good also, depending on the chassis/tube in there. My blast is a dedicated X2/Naomi machine and my Naomi Universal is a dedicated Xbox 360/Dreamcast machine  

Stay away from the “boutique” candies. They’re a money sink when things go wrong. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, djsheep said:

Personally, I’d go for an Astro City if you want an easy to use cab with lots of spare parts around for it. If you want 480p, then either a Naomi Universal or New Net City would be good also, depending on the chassis/tube in there. My blast is a dedicated X2/Naomi machine and my Naomi Universal is a dedicated Xbox 360/Dreamcast machine  

Stay away from the “boutique” candies. They’re a money sink when things go wrong. 

Yeah, anything over 2K min like Egret I'd classify as Boutique. Way out of my price range personally.

8 hours ago, namastepat said:

Don't forget the Atomiswave. Great cab for tri-sync. I'd sell my Astros in a heartbeat if I could replace them with Atomiswave cabs.

I saw one listed on Ebay once for around $1900. Looked pretty slick I admit.

There's an astro for $2500 atm on gumtree(?)  It was the subject of a thread on here I reckon and looked decent.  Given the way prices have increased even since I started looking at candies a couple of years before I bought one, I think that, in a few years, prices like that will be regarded as a good if they're in good condition.

25 minutes ago, dzhay1981 said:

There's an astro for $2500 atm on gumtree(?)  It was the subject of a thread on here I reckon and looked decent.  Given the way prices have increased even since I started looking at candies a couple of years before I bought one, I think that, in a few years, prices like that will be regarded as a good if they're in good condition.

Sheeesh! They’re that much now?

Seems everything’s going up by the day. 

1 hour ago, dzhay1981 said:

I've seen Astros going for around 1500ish in the last few months tho. 2500 is really high for an Astro.

Agreed - I would not pay over $1500 for an Astro in any condition personally, but let's revisit my comments in a couple of years. I think that I'll be proven right. More people want them each year, few peopel are selling and there's very few left in Asia now and the ones that come out are munted.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/10/2021 at 9:16 PM, namastepat said:

No astro is worth $2500 IMO. Most common candy around. $1500 absolute tops right now and it would need to be in bloody good shape to be worth that.

Last Astro I got was free with an OG bubble Bobble board. Now I feel like I should give him some coin..

• Like 1

I changed my blasts to LEDs.. it was a major PITA to get the 100v starters and I think they're the screw in type too iirc (and they were really expensive)

I think my NNC will have the same issue too, so I'm going to have to re-evaluate that too when the time comes around.

I purchased LED fittings like this (they're 100-240v)

spacer.png

Removed the existing light fitting from the blast and used the existing bracket to install, crimped up the same connector to connect straight into the existing power connector (this was intial test of wiring up)

spacer.png

The final product of it wired up using the existing bracket

spacer.png

And with the marquee installed

spacer.png

• Like 4