IGNORED

Candy cab appreciation thread. I want candy!

namastepat

The price of Cave stuff is insane these days...

- ESP is selling for around 1k aud these days, give or take a little. + shipping.

- Someone paid around 450aud for an empty cave kit box... i shit you not... no arts, no board... just an empty cave printed box.. that was at auction.

- Good condition cave kit boxes sell for around $300-$350aud ish.

- Mushihime-sama Futari kit recently sold for around 2k aud

- Death Smiles kit sold recently around $2400aud

- Dodonpachi pcb only sold for $1800 aud

- Ketsui sold for $1450

- Dodnpachi II pcb sold for 2k aud

- Pink sweets kit sold for 3k aud!!

A lot more has sold but those are just a few in the last 2 months. I can't get over how much money people are paying for those empty kit boxes! Very pricey hobby collecting cave these days!

Yeah its crazy.

Glad I got in when they were priced from $180 to $1,000 aud.

Guess that's why I'd never be a a "true" arcade collector.... I can't fathom paying 450 for a brown box 😅

I think the pgm igs conversion carts are a good alternative for the 3 games available.

Other than that, I'm going to have to stick to the 360 ports in downscaled 240p version for the CV1000 games.

• Like 1

I think the pgm igs conversion carts are a good alternative for the 3 games available.

Absolutely agree. Although I’ve noticed the price for these tends to swing fairly wildly depending on seller.

Also @gc8tech has some great videos which will help you buy the right revision mobo. Or at least what to look out for.

I love candy cabs, but I don't love them enough to spend stupid money on games when I can emulate them all in MAME. Sure, the emulation may not be 100% perfect as it doesn't do the correct slowdown, but it's good enough for me to have fun playing a bunch of CAVE games I would never be able to afford otherwise.

The IGS PGM stuff is a great budget way to get those 3 games. I am going to grab one soon to put into one of my vertical cabs as a dedicated game. Likely DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou.

• Like 1

I was never a big fan of shmups in general. Amusing to watch the bullet hell games, but not something that gets my attention too long! Probably a good thing given the cost. I agree the IGS carts are a nice way to get your fix of cave.

Here's a naomi cab for you sydney guys. Those plastics are gonna need some bleach.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sega-Naomi-Universal-61-Game-Arcade-Cabinet/193470821851?hash=item2d0bc275db:g:wX8AAOSwOX9ewghd

My Naomi plastic looks like that, as does my Cyberlead. I don't really mind. It would be nice to have them white of course, but all cabinets age over time and it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. I'd love to cut down my Naomi like that one, but it's a bridge too far for me. I am not handy with tools at the best of times and taking saws to my Naomi would scare the shit out of me.

Thankfully, my Astros and Atomiswave cabs are nice original and glossy white.

Edited by namastepat

I've recently done it with some plastics. The bleach, plastic bag and uv method. It's amazing how well it works. Not sure how you would make it happen with plastics that big though.

I love candy cabs, but I don't love them enough to spend stupid money on games when I can emulate them all in MAME. Sure, the emulation may not be 100% perfect as it doesn't do the correct slowdown, but it's good enough for me to have fun playing a bunch of CAVE games I would never be able to afford otherwise.

The IGS PGM stuff is a great budget way to get those 3 games. I am going to grab one soon to put into one of my vertical cabs as a dedicated game. Likely DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou.

Lucky you're not into pinball? Now thats crazy prices for a game.

Dai-Ou-Jou is brilliant!

I managed to track down a panel for the Exceleena. These are the same panel for the Exceleena and Exceleena II. It needs some work, but the overlay is pretty good. It's got a 1995 date stamp on there!

It definitely wasn't the biggest bargain i've ever had...

DSC_7696.thumb.jpg.65a243ede77aae54a763e61a5a781960.jpg

DSC_7697.thumb.jpg.e4e770f0239c03de3b9088114923a442.jpg

DSC_7698.thumb.jpg.c5205877be5b28a5928684600fdf737d.jpg

Mate, I am impressed! What a great job you’ve done. This is your first resto?? Your work on the internals and attention to detail on the wiring is A1. The whole job for that matter is A1. Well done and thank you for sharing!
  • Like 1

Mate, I am impressed! What a great job you’ve done. This is your first resto?? Your work on the internals and attention to detail on the wiring is A1. The whole job for that matter is A1. Well done and thank you for sharing!

@Tonjo Cheers - yeah my first one, but these cabs are pretty accessible to a M A N - middle aged noob. It was probably 100hrs work if you include going online for parts research and planning artwork etc.