Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Candy cab appreciation thread. I want candy!

Got lucky with a local Gumtree find last night and picked up 2 x Sanwa PM1745 monitors to stash as spares for the tubepocalypse. Perfect as drop-in replacements for my Astro City cabs.

One monitor works perfectly, which is awesome. The other has a chassis fault which needs repair, but still gets an image, so I know the tube is good. It's bloody lucky that this stuff still turns up locally from time to time. No burn on either tube as well, which is fantastic.

Pretty sure with the limited use my cabs get, the tubes will outlast me and then when I shuffle off this mortal coil, my sons will be left with a cab and tube stash they won't ever use or want :classic_biggrin: Serves them right for being little punks :classic_biggrin:

Edited by namastepat
  • Like 6

Pretty sure with the limited use my cabs get, the tubes will outlast me and then when I shuffle off this mortal coil, my sons will be left with a cab and tube stash they won't ever use or want :classic_biggrin: Serves them right for being little punks

I've always assumed that my kids will have the wherewithal to weaponise my stuff, or trade it for eating-moss with the local horse militia, come the climate apocalypse. 

• Like 2

On 16/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, namastepat said:

And even that is pretty much top dollar for an Atomiswave. It's a nice looking one for sure, but they are 2k tops usually.

I think at $2k an AWSD would sell in minutes. Given that they are just Egret bodies their popularity does seem on the rise. The COVID boom has died down generally but they candy market seems nuts still?

On 16/11/2022 at 7:23 PM, Slypinball said:

Ok will pass that on to him. 

Will upload some pictures of his egret2 he wants to off load aswell. 

What is the market for one of them 2.5k? 

He might even be better off separating the Naomi and the AWSD for the sale.

Egret price in oz feels like a random number. Because they almost never come up it is really hard to say. I think the stated $3.5k would be a pretty quick sale.

Candy market is definitely still nuts in Aus. When they are advertised for good prices, they sell within minutes. It's funny how popular candy cabs have become these days. When I was buying my collection, very few people gave a damn about them. I fell in love with them when I visited Japan all the way back in 2008. They were still in regular arcades then, rather than the retro arcades you tend to find them in now. I remember playing Street Fighter IV on an Astro City.

On 16/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, Slypinball said:

What do they normally go for without the naomi set I would have thought 2.5 -3 for a nice one 

I sold a really nice AWSD with a 1 player AWSD panel for 2.5k start of the year. People weren't jumping to buy it. But it did sell. I would say the market has somewhat cooled since then.. but i wouldn't take less for the one i still have.
It was in very good condition, all wiring original, no butchering, was like new inside basically with the PSU cage. Monitor was minty.  That one in the picture does also look to be in really good condition.

I haven't been able to get $900 for a fully loaded naomi net dimm setup with raspberry pi 3b+, loaded with the latest software set.

Did get 2,5k for AWSD, can't get $900 for naomi setup. Do the math.

• Like 2

I don't own a candy cabinet but have been looking for a nice candy cabinet for a few years now. It is the reason I joined this site, this is my experience;

I've always wanted an Egret II or an Astro City. I'd probably want to pay 1 - 2k delivered to Melbourne for a very nice and tidy Astro City or 2.5 - 3.5k (maybe higher to be realistic)  for a nice Egret II like the one above. 

I have seen a few Astros come up over the last few years and they seem to go quickly and I am always a bit hesitant as my preference is definitely the Egret II and I want it cosmetically clean as it will sit in my living room. I have never seen an Egret II offered for sale but fully expect someone will blow any offer I make out of the water if one comes up.

I have seen two Atomiswaves in the time i have been looking.  One was on FB marketplace for a matter of minutes before it was sold, $1200 was the asking price from memory. Another for 2.5kish i think which I was really tempted for and was surprised it was for sale for a while (possibly the one mentioned above)

The release of the Astro City and Egret II Mini Consoles really messed up my Ebay and Gumtree alerts.

The Game Wizard Extreme looks interesting too, the one that looks like a Vewlix, especially as I have a large schmup library on my Switch. I am thinking that could be an option for me as I have no experience with dealing with aging 90s tech and electrical stuff. I would be interested in opinions on that thing, though it is expensive.

Actually just got back from Japan yesterday, my favourite arcade seems to be quite busy most days I went. Below is a picture. Its empty as it was 10am. This day was the morning I arrived, I dropped my luggage off, caught a train to Akihabara at 10am and played on machines until I could check in at 3pm haha. 

Any offers of cabs for sale or any tips on where or how I should be looking would be much appreciated.

20221102_105037.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, DRAGONKZ said:

The post above yours is an egret 2 that will be for sale in the coming days, that may be up your alley? Send the guy a message and see how it goes 👍

Thanks will do, I thought it was a member showing their nice example,  realised I completely missed the previous comment about it possibly coming up for sale😅 

• Haha 1

Good news today.  Before getting down about my Windy not working I thought best to go through some fundamental troubleshooting. I accessed the monitor area and simply reseated the neck board and all was well. I get an occasional momentary power interruption but I have a working machine. 😃

CF46B26D-413F-48B3-BD98-1B9CCC2453F1.jpeg

Edited by 1.21 Gigawatts
  • Like 10

On 26/11/2022 at 6:55 PM, Paulrofnz said:

Any offers of cabs for sale or any tips on where or how I should be looking would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you're looking in the right places (plus Gumtree and if you like gambling Lloyds). Just have to be lucky and possibly accept that by 30 years old most cabs are starting to show their age and might need a bit of tinkering. 

Might also be worth working out what you want to play (and how) and work backwards (original hardware, emulation, CRT etc). Like if your whole aim is to play SF2:WW on original hardware a Game Wizard might be a little unrewarding. 

• Like 2

1.thumb.jpg.552d981e5d881d8072437d09a88a8be5.jpg

Take care installing new screens in your cabs kids... they're fragile. 1 less (working) 4k 32" screen in the world. It was 1 day out of its box 😞

The saddest part is, i spent an entire day VERY tediously making a custom mounting bracket for it, which i managed to do and get the thing perfectly alligned in the housing, then i put it all back together and there was little bits of fluff between the glass and the monitor. So I had to take it back out to clean it again, cleaned it... put it back and and fuck me there was another piece in there.. you need to be in a dust free room to do this task... anyways i took it out AGAIN and it got the slightest knock on the corner... i knew it was gone, i could see the shadow in the panel without even having to plug it back in.  I handled this thing so carefully all day in and out, moving it around trying to make the bracket and line everything up. It was working, all done... then small pieces of fucking dust and fluffy shit.  Top right corner is the point where it impacted. The rest is gave it a few with the screwdriver after it was already done.

Selling my exceleena 2 for $1200 cash pickup in melb, Fitzroy if anyone wants it so i can buy *another* 4k panel... they aren't exactly cheap. All original wiring, nanao chassis, psu was recapped and since that was done it squeels a bit for the first 5-10 minutes it's on. No holds for longer than 48 hours. I need the space and money for new screen. Price is firm. For sale post coming soon.

• Sad 5

Well, 2nd attempt.... Info below for Chewlix monitor upgrade.

You don't need to shuck the monitor, it almost perfectly fits in there with the plastic still on.... which makes a hell of a lot more sense, and i'm not really sure why i even went the other route first. Probably as i'd read other people did this. 100x better with the plastic on. The plastic surround sticks out the front by around half a mm or so, and this means that the face of the lcd itself won't touch the glass, which is much better, and you won't have to make a bracket that holds the lcd close to the glass but not touching it, which is really tedious to do. With the plastics still on, you can just rest the whole screen on the glass pretty much as that small amount of plastic holds the lcd face just off the glass.

I used the L brackets that were holding the original monitor on to clamp the new screen in. I just rotated them and drilled some new holes where i wanted them. I placed a piece of 20x20 extruded aluminium at the base which is efectively a shelf for the bottom of the screen to prop it up,  that holds it in the perfect position height wise. You could use anything here, a piece of wood? this extruded alloy was perfect, fit perfect and went the entire width. I had this stuff laying around from something i did previously. This.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304330758156?var=603390942743

You need to angle grind around 1mm off the left and right small brackets that hold the glass in place. The width of the monitor is around 1mm too wide and it doesn't slot down to the glass properly width wise. One side of it will sit on top of the brackets, the other side will sit on the glass. When you shave it down snug, the brackets work perfectly to stop the monitor moving sideway at all.

LG 32UN500-W
 LG 32UN550-W
31.5" 4K screens both work this way if anyone is thinking of upgrading. 500 is the discontinued version of the 550. Basically the same monitor but the 550 has fake 10bit, which is rubbish anyways so don't use it. Shell wise they are the same.

Here's how it looks in the cab. Ignore the pcb's i glued to it, those are for the digital marquee lcd. I didn't open the monitor at all, and the little joystick for settings is still accessible easily, it's in the center bottom of the screen. 1 joystick does all settings on this screen.
DSC_37601.thumb.jpg.62c52b73488312a4713394b64ffcb423.jpg

Expensive exercise, but i couldn't go back... i've already started porting many games to render natively @4k.. no way i could go back now.

• Like 4

Everything in my cab is powered from a power board inside the cab. The cab has 2 x AU power sockets hardwired into the mains supply. It came like that, i just connected an extra 4 way power board in there.

Main LCD, Marquee mini LCD, sound amp, TTX computer are all connected to that. When i power on the cab at the wall, everything turns on, including the pc unit, bios setting power on when power resumes. There's no secondary power switches etc i have to play with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1