Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My leg and the last 2 months

• 6 months later...

Whoo hooo

when you loose your right leg you also loose your license to drive

to get it back you have to go through a similar test as we all did back when we were 18yo. though the written part also includes a cognitive test to see if you still have all your marbles

i had done the written test back in March, i was about to do the practical portion when every thing closed due to CV19

now that things are reopening testing also resumed

i needed to take a few lessons to get used to using my left foot, that was the easy part

they also check your driving skills, getting over 30 years of bad habits is a challenge

took the test this morning and passed easy

legal to drive again

now just need to get the car converted for my left foot (will post pics when done)

yay!!

• Like 21

• 1 year later...

Well, after getting amputated two and a half years ago, and spending all of last year trying to get a prosthesis to fit, yesterday I saw a new team of doctors, their opinion was that due to the surgery four years ago (the gory ones at the start of the tread) the skin at the bottom of the stump is too fragile, A prosthetic limb was never going to work for me.
So, that is it, life on crutches or in a wheelchair from now on 😞

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, Pop Bumper Pete said:

Well, after getting amputated two and a half years ago, and spending all of last year trying to get a prosthesis to fit, yesterday I saw a new team of doctors, their opinion was that due to the surgery four years ago (the gory ones at the start of the tread) the skin at the bottom of the stump is too fragile, A prosthetic limb was never going to work for me.
So, that is it, life on crutches or in a wheelchair from now on 😞

Now that's not great news....

I trust that even with this set back that now defines your situation as a long term result that with the True spirit you have shown will be like water off a ducks back...

Not a great way to put it I know so don't take offence. Rather that you have already inspired a large part of this community with your positive attitude that frankly I think most of us would struggle with. I hope that with the help of your local friends that you get along to that 6th meet at.....?? Maybe 7th meet at @Gemini2544 due to the date....

When you are there start planning a new set of themed crutches and or wheelchair....

Something that shows off your true spirit. I hope to share a beer with you one day.... If only I was more local? Keep up the positive attitude brother..... Keep inspiring.... You are helping others...

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now that's not great news....

I trust that even with this set back that now defines your situation as a long term result that with the True spirit you have shown will be like water off a ducks back...

I have no idea what the future holds
Up until yesterday, I had hoped to get back and reopen my bakery, that is now not possible
I guess I will find out

• Thanks 1

So everyone is different and no-one knows your circumstances. But with a positive attitude, which you have in spades anything is possible.

As an example, my Uncle who is 70+ lost his leg many many years ago due to an accident. Above Knee. He still drives his EH wagon, 3 on the tree, to get around after being assessed as competent in Qld to do so.

Stay positive mate things will work out.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Fuck the system

Seems that i am trying to get a leg, again
The local people could not do it so I am trying a new prosthetic company 2 hours drive away
I got the quote for a leg, $14,995
Contacted NDIS for funding, my guy says it should not be a problem, but as it is over $13k, it has to be reviewed. Which will take at least two months (that is OK, just giving me a timeframe is an improvement). But I need an assessment report from the prosthesis company. I contact them and ask for the report, and they are surprised as they thought the cut off point was $15K

Milking the system anyone?

I'm often surprised at the cost of medical (and other) equipment in Australia. I know there are many reasons, but the prices still feel high. I just read this thread - you are an absolute trooper!

This leg is going to work with your fragile skin?

11 hours ago, needlebat said:

This leg is going to work with your fragile skin?

There are no guarantees

Here is how I explained this to a friend
With leg prosthetics, I have to wear a sock (the liner) before I put on my shoe (the prosthetic)
Most people can use a liner from Kmart
They are trying to use a custom liner made for my stump

8 minutes ago, Pop Bumper Pete said:

They are trying to use a custom liner made for my stump

That sounds good, I saw a doco a few years back about how much better that works. Looking forward to hearing a positive outcome!

• Like 1