IGNORED

Which pin got you hooked?

bigredbird

Back in the early 80s I had plenty of places I could go for a game. The local milk bars, pizza shops, bowling alley or even a couple of dedicated arcades.

I was more into the arcade machines (and still am) but I remember a couple of pins from that era that got my attention. One was Harlem Globetrotters that I played occasionally and the other was Eight Ball Deluxe (quit talkin' and start chalkin').

I pumped my share of coins into these two but I wasn't until I discovered an Addams Family at my local bowling alley that I really started to get into it. I spent a lot of time playing that machine and a lot of my coins that were destined to end up in Dig Dug or Mr. Do ended up going into that Addams Family.

I haven't played one for ages now but I remember that was the one that got me to want to drop one more credit in each time.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were many gottlieb ems around where I grew up, joker poker, jacks open, solar city etc but the first one that sucked me in was dealers choice. Getting the ace was a massive effort.

10c a pop from a memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't get to play pinball in my younger days, apart from one or two games. It was CBM64, mechanics and cars, PC's and bikes.

I got hooked on Whitewater in a VP9 cabinet about 4 years ago.

Then I got a real rough Maverick that I got hooked on fixing, and playing :slamtilt:

Then got a real nice Whitewater :023:

Williams Black Knight, around 83 from memory.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Yep,

BK is the one that got me at the local squash courts on a daily basis after school and sometimes during ;)

also put many 2 bobs into

Centaur

F14

Pharoah

Haunted house

Kiss

Black hole

Space shuttle

The 80's were awesome times for pinball !

I remember as a kid watching timber railed pinball games that you had to bump steer into certain holes to gain points, no flippers, but plenty of skill :)

The Bingo machines were heaps of fun I remember, you needed a completely different skill set to play them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much anything from the 70s had me hooked after that I reckon things went down hill

The 70s were the hey day for Pinball

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Rob1966

Gotta admit it was Space Invaders arcade that blew my tiny tiny mind at the local milkbar/fish & chippy first of all.

I'd always been a fan of pins but I went coco bananas for Twilight Zone in '93 when there was one at the Amsterdam hotel we stayed in when I was a coach driver on Contiki tours.

Lots of Dutch Guilders (money) pumped into that little puppy for sure.

Almost as much as was squandered on Dutch Super Skunk, but that's another story... :D

The last of the Gottlieb Ems but them the Bally SS hit and it was Power Play, Mata Hari, Playboy, Kiss, etc

Funny how I never liked Gottlieb SS or early Williams till about Flash. They usually had weak flippers on site unless they were pretty new where as the Bally SS always had strong flippers.

Probably the first machine I player was Gottlieb's 1972 Gland Slam. It was in a caravan park I stayed in when I was a kid on holidays with my folks.

The last of the Gottlieb Ems but them the Bally SS hit and it was Power Play, Mata Hari, Playboy, Kiss, etc

Funny how I never liked Gottlieb SS or early Williams till about Flash. They usually had weak flippers on site unless they were pretty new where as the Bally SS always had strong flippers.

Probably the first machine I player was Gottlieb's 1972 Gland Slam. It was in a caravan park I stayed in when I was a kid on holidays with my folks.

I remember that, those old pre system 7 games were 28v. They never could compare with the 50v Bally’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk