Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Las Vegas Shooting

I sometimes wonder what the magic number of gun deaths in a mass shooting like this is before the pro gun lobby says "enough is enough".

Also a sad sign of the times that what sounds like a semi-automatic weapon is being fired and someone is standing there with their phone making a video file.

Nucking Futs!

I sometimes wonder what the magic number of gun deaths in a mass shooting like this is before the pro gun lobby says "enough is enough".

Also a sad sign of the times that what sounds like a semi-automatic weapon is being fired and someone is standing there with their phone making a video file.

Nucking Futs!

I don't think such a number exists. Besides, as has been shown in France, Germany, the UK and even little old Melbourne, you no longer need to look for a firearm to cause mass destruction. You just need something with 4 (or more) wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

This shows you the rates of murders around the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

While the US is fairly high for a Western country, it's nothing like poorer countries. I used to be totally anti-gun, but nowadays I understand that there is a deeper problem in the US. You have to ask, why are they so murderous? Not, why do they like guns? Most deaths by guns in the US (not so in rage murder attacks like this obviously) are criminally related, as in people involved in the crime world are most likely to die from a shooting. There were about 15,000 murders in the US last year. You won't hear about most of them because there is a good chance it was one gang member killing another gang member. Or things like domestic violence. Isn't it the case that most murderers new their victim?

Whatever the problems, it's basically for the US to sort out I guess. I've been to the US a few times and I've never thought "Could I get shot?" Not saying it can't happen, but generally I am not in the world that a lot of the murderers exist in.

One good thing I guess to come out of this is that Jason Aldean, the singer at the concert has said he has changed his mind about gun control, having been an advocate for gun rights before. Could be a small start to changing attitudes in the US I guess. Like I say, it is a problem they need to sort out themselves. Same as in places like Jaimaca that also have high rates of gun deaths...

This shows you the rates of murders around the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

While the US is fairly high for a Western country, it's nothing like poorer countries. I used to be totally anti-gun, but nowadays I understand that there is a deeper problem in the US. You have to ask, why are they so murderous? Not, why do they like guns? Most deaths by guns in the US (not so in rage murder attacks like this obviously) are criminally related, as in people involved in the crime world are most likely to die from a shooting. There were about 15,000 murders in the US last year. You won't hear about most of them because there is a good chance it was one gang member killing another gang member. Or things like domestic violence. Isn't it the case that most murderers new their victim?

Whatever the problems, it's basically for the US to sort out I guess. I've been to the US a few times and I've never thought "Could I get shot?" Not saying it can't happen, but generally I am not in the world that a lot of the murderers exist in.

One good thing I guess to come out of this is that Jason Aldean, the singer at the concert has said he has changed his mind about gun control, having been an advocate for gun rights before. Could be a small start to changing attitudes in the US I guess. Like I say, it is a problem they need to sort out themselves. Same as in places like Jaimaca that also have high rates of gun deaths...

No offence, but that is the biggest crock of shit I have read for a long time.

If you explain, why, no offence will be taken :)

OK then. Take offence. Without gun control, it will keep happening. But it’s almost like a holy grail to them to have the right to bear arms. It will never change until they repeal the 2nd amendment but that won’t happen anytime soon as the pro gun lobby is very strong.

OK then. Take offence. Without gun control, it will keep happening. But it’s almost like a holy grail to them to have the right to bear arms. It will never change until they repeal the 2nd amendment but that won’t happen anytime soon as the pro gun lobby is very strong.

Like I say, it really isn't our problem. The 2nd amendment is about giving the population a means to defend themselves against their own government, should it go south. Whether that is feasible or not nowadays, especially with the government having things like bombers and tanks, that is where they are coming from. They had a revolution against their (British) government remember so a lot of Americans feel quite strongly about it. What we see is mostly rednecks bustin' off shots from their pick-ups. But that is not the right they mean. Unfortunately that amendment is a little ambiguous. It seems to me they meant to have a 'well armed militia' along the lines of say Israel or Switzerland. A lot of very intelligent Americans believe in that right, and not because they want to bust off shots, swillin' beer in the back of a pick up. It's because they really are wary that a government should be 'of the people' and if it isn't well they need to be able to do something about it.

Most gun deaths in the US are not caused by people who believe in the 2nd Amendment, but by those who tend to plead the 5th ;)