Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The most important thread you will read.

baz

AA is not like 5 years ago.. and you can clearly see why.

I am vouching that the moderators of AA should put a reasonable price cap on both pinball machines and arcade machines , its hardware and software.

lets use logical here.. i am seeing pinball machines being listed on ebay for 6 months straight with no chance of sale.

i believe if the moderators capped prices , it will drive more people to AA and slowly bring down the prices over time.

The proof of this example is people are getting mean and fed up and bitching, i do not see people rushing in buying like they used to.

i see a pinball listed , everyone comments how pretty it is , how good it looks , yet no one even bites when it comes to a purchase.

I am also observing that AA has kinda down a little bit over the last 2 or 3 years.

AA has a massive potential and huge slice with both hobbyists and collectors alike.

It is us collectively on AA to show Australia how the prices should be and collectively we can change it.

I am not suggesting everyone run around selling off there equipment next to nothing , its something we have to do very slowly over time.

The market drives prices, always has and always will. Prices high? Don't buy, simple.

It's the right of the seller to advertise machines at what they see fit. If they are too high, they won't sell. Heaps of machines moving on here literally every week. I see prices that are simply a reflection of the market. More people in the market, prices are higher as a result. Also, prices go up with time. It's a constant thing on here that all the 'old salts' of the pinball scene comment on the high prices of pins. Literally EVERYTHING has gone up in price. Jesus, look at the house market. Pins are not exempt from price rises.

Yes the market drives the prices.. correct.. guess who the market is ? that you , me , everyone on AA is a part of the market.

This has also been brought up before. We are a TINY portion of the overall pinball market. If you think a bunch of guys on a forum should sell stuff cheap to drive market prices down, you're sadly mistaken. People will sell for what they feel a pin is worth and people will buy for what they feel a pin is worth. AA is no different there. If someone wants to offer up a bargain, great. If someone wants to price a pin to try and make money, or break even, great. It's their call to do so and it is in no way the responsibility of the forum to keep prices 'low'.

cool story baz.. sorry nothing personal but im going to have to disagree.

AA is not like 5 years ago.. and you can clearly see why.

you mean "im just dreaming of the past here but..."

I am vouching that the moderators of AA should put a reasonable price cap on both pinball machines and arcade machines , its hardware and software.

you want proposing not vouching .. wrong word.

lets use logical here.. i am seeing pinball machines being listed on ebay for 6 months straight with no chance of sale.

it makes perfect sense one you understand how advertising works with ebay fees now

i believe if the moderators capped prices , it will drive more people to AA and slowly bring down the prices over time.

kinda like "i believe if we kick and scream long enough we can time travel back to 1984" yeah ?

your only real hope is wait for the "collect the whole set" wave to be over.. the em one is over now.. we're starting to see 'goodies' coming out of estate sales .. the 90s games will be a fair while yet.

short term the dealers set prices not forum sales..

The proof of this example is people are getting mean and fed up and bitching, i do not see people rushing in buying like they used to.

i see a pinball listed , everyone comments how pretty it is , how good it looks , yet no one even bites when it comes to a purchase.

pinball people really are special .. we agree on this bit :-)

I am also observing that AA has kinda down a little bit over the last 2 or 3 years.

that is facebook doing that not prices.

AA has a massive potential and huge slice with both hobbyists and collectors alike.

sorry this part is just garbage .. its reasonable slice with hobbyists maybe but most of the big collectors dont use forums

It is us collectively on AA to show Australia how the prices should be and collectively we can change it.

I am not suggesting everyone run around selling off there equipment next to nothing , its something we have to do very slowly over time.

nope all that does is drive people out. the prices are driving by retail / upgrade prices.. no one will subscribe to your romantic fairytale unless they're taking up underwater basket weaving instead..

eg they cant sell you their hs2 for 2k and move to a new stern or a restored TAF ... the hs2 has to be 6k to keep it all balanced.

cool story baz.. sorry nothing personal but im going to have to disagree.

you mean "im just dreaming of the past here but..."

you want proposing not vouching .. wrong word.

it makes perfect sense one you understand how advertising works with ebay fees now

kinda like "i believe if we kick and scream long enough we can time travel back to 1984" yeah ?

your only real hope is wait for the "collect the whole set" wave to be over.. the em one is over now.. we're starting to see 'goodies' coming out of estate sales .. the 90s games will be a fair while yet.

short term the dealers set prices not forum sales..

pinball people really are special .. we agree on this bit :-)

that is facebook doing that not prices.

sorry this part is just garbage .. its reasonable slice with hobbyists maybe but most of the big collectors dont use forums

nope all that does is drive people out. the prices are driving by retail / upgrade prices.. no one will subscribe to your romantic fairytale unless they're taking up underwater basket weaving instead..

eg they cant sell you their hs2 for 2k and move to a new stern or a restored TAF ... the hs2 has to be 6k to keep it all balanced.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by just saying ‘your dreaming mate’:cool:

• Administrators
Mate you can't control the market, we wouldn't have any members if we did.

AA like any forum is only as good as its content and where does that content come from? its users and I can't force people to contribute.

100% with Trav. Below is some additional stuff I was typing while he sent this quoted post.

Baz, from a moderators point of view I would like to ask who has the time to enforce such an idea? Apart from the fact that we do not involve ourselves in sales between members on the site & we have no power at all to tell people how much they should sell their games for. We really do try to limit our activity on the site if we can as it tends to discourage people from posting if we jump on every little thing and control every aspect of the hobby as it applies here. I generally spend 1 hour or so a day on AA. If I and the other moderators had to manage every sale to ensure low prices were forced then that time would probably be double or more. We would be the worst micro-managed forum in the world in 12 months flat.

Just not practical I am afraid.

Dave

well i for one will just buy up everything cheap and sit on it

the reason you see pinballs listed for 6 months straight is because they don't need money,

have you ever tried buying anything from people with money ! it's hard as hell to get them to sell

the question is never "how much" but why should i sell

A recent sale experience on this forum:

Advertised at a price I thought fair based on other sales etc.

Not one comment about GLWS etc

Machine sold in a few hours.

Must have been just what someone wanted and thought the price right.

Would respectfully not want to be told by moderators the price was right/wrong or whatever.

The buyer told me it was right. If it didn't sell, adjustments can be made.

...and if I've got nothing to constructively say, then I don't. I may read a hundred threads and comment on one. Don't believe in belittling or being negative.

Carsales don't tell me the prince of car - but I can research it and set an attainable price.

That's my 5c worth. - no change required

Next year it is predicted there will be at least 4 interest rate rises.

My prediction is next year the market will be flooded with pinballs.

They won't be from the collectors but from the "I must have it right now generation", that were only able to get a housing loan because rates are so low.

We all know these people. The newly weds with new house with all the new appliances, the new cars, (his and hers of coarse), the landscaped garden and at least one pinball they barely touch because if it breaks, they have no idea how to fix it but it looks the part and appearances is all that really matters.

That must have addition they had to have because someone they know has one.

These people are the ones that just borrowed a bit more or had money to spare at the time and bought it because, "they deserved it and they work hard".

Interest rates rise, things get tough and the wife starts, 'lets sell that pinball. We paid $7000 and that will go a long way and all our money problems will be gone. Besides, you never play it any more".

I'm not sure how many of you remember interest rates at 18%. I remember when they came down to 14% and compared to 18, it was a walk in the park.

In my whole housing loan, I only ever saw and felt what it was like with rates going south. Can you imaging the massive impact on pricing, especially 2nd hand goods, when interest rates go up?.

If it doesn't drive pinball prices down rapidly, it will be a time for some good bargains for those that have money and not borrowed money at hand.

Sorry mate but what a wasted thread. Seriously you can't be serious. :lol

OWNER of game gets to set price. Cause he owns it.

POTENTIAL BUYER gets to decide if he likes the price. If not he doesn't have to buy it. No one is holding guns to anyone's heads here or anywhere else last time I looked.

Are prices ridiculous YES. Is basic economics at play YES. As has been mentioned hundreds of times. SUPPLY AND DEMAND drives all markets. Including hobby ones.

Oh and change the name of the thread. ITS NOT!!!! Rant over. :rolleyes

Exactly, rising interest rates rising unemployment and underemployment are absolute facts of the near future.

Those will drive down the Pinball prices and other luxury toys.

As the prices slide some large collectors will decide to get out before the crash.. .thus creating a crash.

IMO it's inevitable, if you can stay afloat through that there will be plenty of bargains to pick up.

Personally I don't care much either way if they stay high or go low it won't change my plans much.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Exactly, rising interest rates rising unemployment and underemployment are absolute facts of the near future.

Those will drive down the Pinball prices and other luxury toys.

As the prices slide some large collectors will decide to get out before the crash.. .thus creating a crash.

IMO it's inevitable, if you can stay afloat through that there will be plenty of bargains to pick up.

Personally I don't care much either way if they stay high or go low it won't change my plans much.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You summed it up perfectly @ Rat when you said "luxury toys". To such people that is what they regard them as where as a hobbyist, collector or someone with a passion for such machines sees them as a machine they love and price has nothing to do with owning such a machine.

He or she, ( the collector or hobbyist), is the one that buys conservatively when the deal is right and usually sees a realistic deal and consequently takes advantage if the deal arises.

He or she is never pressured by pricing or the "I must have it right now" syndrome. They buy for self satisfaction and reward and not for financial reward and any machine they buy, they appreciate it for a couple of years and the hunt for that pinball they have sort can take years.

The machines are usually paid for with cash that is either hard earned cash or a deal on a previous pinball and rarely credit cash.

These people are rarely impulse buyers.

I see the "home market" falling into one of these two categories.

Which one of these two do you fall into you need to ask yourself?.

As a fella looking to buy a few pins Id love prices to drop. The reality of it is, that it just will not happen any time soon based on most of the logic posted on this thread. We are fishing in a very small pool. Lots of baits in the water and so little numbers of fish to catch.......