IGNORED

Monitor with only a line on it

Czero

Question

8 answers to this question

why would you think that was a cap problem when it's not ?

i'm pretty technically minded but even i give up on some chassis and send it of to get fixed

all you done here is stuff up a pretty simple fix that will cost twice as much to get going again

Most of the time blanket capping a chassis is a waste of time and money and as mentioned, the fault was more than likely not a cap issue anyway.

Add to that once you've done something like this to a chassis most techs won't look at as it will cause more issues that take a lot more time, effort and money to fix.

I have used untested Toei CM-14/20 chassis' on hand if you need one that hasn't had repairs done on it that you can send to Joey and also have a working one that I'm willing to sell if you want to go that way.

Hmmmm given it won't power up after the cap kit, I'd recheck the cap kit and confirm all joints are good and you've got them right way around. I'd also check you haven't disturbed another component near a cap as a bad joint could disconnect if the legs get bent.

I had a vertical collapse like that once simply because I forgot to plug the board with the size control pots in after I did a cap kit. So if you manage to get it to power up again, I'd check the pots and joints related to them.

I did a cap kit on it and now it won't power up. I'm sure the all went in the right way.

You need to stop watching those Yankee youtube videos where they suggest everything needs a "cap kit", a pure shotgun method.

Simple reasoning suggests that why would you replace capacitors that are related to the power supply, horizontal section or any other part to repair a vertical section problem?

Original problem was vertical collapse most likely caused by the pot or the vertical IC or transistor nothing to do with a cap kit.

As others have suggested contact @Jomac and he will sort out refurb or more likely a replacement chassis.

- - - Updated - - -

i'm pretty technically minded but even i give up on some chassis and send it of to get fixed

all you done here is stuff up a pretty simple fix that will cost twice as much to get going again

Exactly, it's just not worth the headaches

It can sometimes be a capacitor that leads to vertical fail, a lot of NECs had that issue back in the 90s, but it was the Rubycon branded caps that were leaking with age. NEC PG series of CRT projectors were plagued with these leaking caps, ive seen zero hour sets that had leakers all through them just due to age.

Love the AMG in your pic, ive got a '99 C43 with the 5.4ltr 55 engine swapped into it. Next car will probably be a C63 if i ever get sick of the W202.