Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Thinking of buying Adams Family pinball machine...

Hey I'm thinking of buying an Adams Family pinball machine. Would be my first pinball machine so just wanted some opinions on if it was a reasonable buy or not.

I'd likely be paying $11,000 NZD for it (about $10k AUD), apparently in very very good condition (play field basically perfect), only issue is apparently a couple of lights are out.

I'd also have to get it shipped from auckland to wellington, not sure what that will cost but expect it will be at least a couple of hundred.

Anyway, is the Adams Family pinball machine a good one to have? And is it actually worth $11k ($10AUD)?

Other option is a near new game of thrones one for $10.5k nz, and its local so delivery wouldn't be so much of a problem.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adams is a great game. Everyone has their price. I personally wouldnt pay anywhere near that for a 25yr old b/w game regardless of cond or title. That said though you may be limited for choice? Pf wear is notorious around lightning magnets and house. You may want to check too see if the house is a decal under mylar. If so it would indicate its had a tough life. Anyway food for thought. Hope this helps.

Some love it but I think it's over rated.

I bought mine for 6500 in great nic in 2010 and sold it for 6500 5 years later.

Once I had XMENLE sitting next to it, it made me realise Addams was average.

Addams is a great theme but XMEN has similar layout and shits all over Addams .

These days Addams should be 8K max ! Rocks in your head if you pay any more, unless its Gold !

Value of pinball machines when it comes to pricing and advertising in many or some cases can be in the eyes of the beholder, its what they think the value of a machine is worth, if they have spend 200 hours working on it they may see it of higher value, or some may look at the age and say "its in perfect condition for its age". I would agree with Koops I would ask if any AA memebers (that know what they are doing & experience) could have a look for you (maybe some beer involed) or pay a local Pinball tech to do a report for you.

If your paying towards the top-end you want to make sure its in very good shape.

Regarding which you should buy, I would recommend you play as many machines you can find and then buy the one you like the best, if your not sure generally whats good or not then have a look on Pinside for the top 100 machines and look for locations to play them. (on a side note, maybe we should have a top Aussie pinball list too).

You can play a number of games on iPad & tables on Pinball Arcde or Stern PBA to see what they are like and understand the rules but there is nothing like the real thing with some beers and friends.

Hope this helps.

I'd likely be paying $11,000 NZD for it (about $10k AUD), apparently in very very good condition (play field basically perfect), only issue is apparently a couple of lights are out.

That's on the very expensive end of the scale. (You can buy a brand-new machine for less.) To be worth that much, the machine would have to truly be in absolutely spectacular condition, IMO, and you'd have to have your heart set on it.

Michi.

Hey I'm thinking of buying an Adams Family pinball machine. Would be my first pinball machine so just wanted some opinions on if it was a reasonable buy or not.

I'd also have to get it shipped from auckland to wellington, not sure what that will cost but expect it will be at least a couple of hundred.

Anyway, is the Adams Family pinball machine a good one to have? And is it actually worth $11k ($10AUD)?

Other option is a near new game of thrones one for $10.5k nz, and its local so delivery wouldn't be so much of a problem.

That machine is not worth 11k. I had an absolute mint one (looked like new) which I sold a couple of years ago for 7.5k. I wouldn't go any higher than 8.5k for the one on TM right now. Freight to Wellington will be about $200.

Unless you just have to have an Addams and can't wait, I would get the GOT which is better value in my opinion.

All good I've heard it's a good machine. Condition wise here is the link https://www.trademe.co.nz/1394526269

So yeah it's 12 years old and it has a (reserve not met) bid of 9.5k NZD. Which made me wonder what the collector value (aka slow depreciation) might be.

Don't always believe it when the seller says it's 'mint'. My idea of mint and yours may be totally different.

The photos on the link are pretty good and give a reasonable indication of condition. The playfield is better than most. Cabinet looks pretty normal with wear around flipper buttons and some fade to artwork at the front. If that machine was in Oz I'd say early to mid 8K.

So yeah it's 12 years old and it has a (reserve not met) bid of 9.5k NZD. Which made me wonder what the collector value (aka slow depreciation) might be.

The machine was built in 1992 or 1993, so it's about 25 years old. It may have been shopped 12 years ago…

There is a fair bit of wear on the playfield, around inserts, in front of the chair, and other places. At the price he is asking, I would at the very least expect a perfectly restored playfield with a clear-coat. I think the machine is simply too expensive for what it is. It should sell for 7–8 k at most, IMO. Keep in mind that the machine is popular, but not particularly collectible. Over 20,000 of them were made, so there are still lots of them out there.

Michi.

When I was a kid, TAF was never my go to pinball - i'd loose my money too quickly, but after playing a few more games on it now, it grew on me more and more. Having owned one for a couple of years now, I still enjoy playing it and I haven't got bored of it.

Last christmas a Brisbane pinball dealer was able to get hold of 6 of these which if I remember correctly were advertised somewhere between 9 and 10k inc GST, and they all sold (don't know if they were sold for their advertised price, but they were all accounted for within a week or so).

IMO sometimes you could decide to get something that is cheaper or better value, but then be disappointed if you buy something else when a TAF is what you really want. Economics is one thing (assuming the TAF is in your budget), however the emotional connection is can be a deciding factor in a private purchase.

This probably doesn't help you make the decision, or answer your original question, but just something additional to think about.

Agree with what most have said. I wouldn't say it's 'mint'. If you really wanted one of them, I would go the GOT instead, for that price. But, pinball is very individual and subjective. What you may like, others may not. If your heart is set on an Addam's Family, maybe hold off until one of better value comes up. Although in NZ, they may not come up too often, I don't know.

Not that hard to remove the glass for taking advertising pics either........