Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cooking...

Im the same mate, do my own xmas ham and cabanossi/kabana, i built a brick smoker and i have a 44gal spit, love getti g in kitchen with a beer or 10

geez I'l be visiting you soon LOL.

Yep I love to cook too with the wife - she does the cooking during the week...love dinner parties we try it out first and rate how quick it is, will if fit most peoples palettes and how tasty. Lots of asian inspired foods really...spring rolls, thai salad, Massmann curry topped up with Banana & coconut icecream. No bought stuff, all from the garden or our vege shop....homemadeice cream...you cant beat it :)

yep, must admit I quite enjoy cooking, just can't get the kids to eat much.

I make a mean curry and generally have to split it so super hot for me and really mild for everyone else :lol

I think I must be a closet Asian as I love cooking Asian style food.

My Tarte Tatin is pretty darn good too :D

My wife is a really good cook but to quote her, "I can cook, I just choose not to" :D

Wow, a forum with some handy chiefs.

Maybe you all may have some nice recipes for me to try on yabbys. I have a dam putrid with them.

If I can find no real use for them, cooking wise, I'll throw a couple of long neck tortoises in the dam to wipe them out. The tortoises love them.

At the moment not using them for eating is making them over populate and they fill the dam with holes which takes up time I really don't have.

005.thumb.jpg.4527519b3edf29e364eed9da4053ef76.jpg

If I throw in a trap and leave it in for about 8 hours, I get about 20 per trap. I have about 6 traps.

Maybe some roo or wild pig dishes would be nice. Not short of either of them either.

For wild pig... take a roast rub with a lot of Mexican spices and slow cook it covered in the oven at 105c for about 3 hours. When done, pull it all apart and toss some in a pan with some more Mexican spices and cook it with some onions and bell peppers. Put it on fresh flour or corn tortillas and top with cilantro and some diced raw onion.

If you really want to make it shine make some homemade pico de gallo which is simply some diced tomatoes, onions, and cilantro with a tiny bit of lime juice. Oh, and diced jalapenos if you can handle it.

When I throw a repair party at my workshop, I invite the local arcade guys who want to learn more about repairing their own stuff. I grill hot dogs, sausages, and 2 types of venison sausages and have some cream cheese and smoked salmon spread. To go with it is potato salad, chips, dips, a veggie tray, crackers, buns, sodas, water, and I provide all of that. If someone asks what they can bring I simply say ice or if you want to drink beer, your own beer. :D

We have an antique open tub washing machine on the back patio and the ice and drinks go inside of it.

For crawdads (yabbys), you have to purge them first in a freshwater bath for about 10 minutes before dropping them whole into a boiling pot of spices and veggies. That helps get rid of a lot of the mud and crap which will affect the taste. Only cook the live ones as dead ones spoil incredibly fast.

@ Channelmaniac..... Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some ideas on how to cook these things. Wild pigs or boars as you would know them are everywhere on my farm. I actually bought a 357 magnum for dropping the pigs but it just seems a waste to just to bury them but cooking, now there is a purpose. I have heaps of little sucklings if they are better to target instead of the adult pigs.

As for the yabbys or crawdads as you know them. They just dig through the walls of the dam with there tunnels and I'm forever dumping dirt making the walls thicker to keep the water in. They actually sell for good money here which I wouldn't mind cashing in on but I would prefer to just eat them.

Who here likes to cook?

I just put this one into the oven... a Dutch apple pie. :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104096[/ATTACH]

I made a mess of the counter and stove, but I think it'll be worth it. I make a mean Texas chili (2 alarm!) and like to smoke things too.

i also like to smoke things. and i don't mind cooking either :D

• Haha 1

@ Channelmaniac..... Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some ideas on how to cook these things. Wild pigs or boars as you would know them are everywhere on my farm. I actually bought a 357 magnum for dropping the pigs but it just seems a waste to just to bury them but cooking, now there is a purpose. I have heaps of little sucklings if they are better to target instead of the adult pigs.

As for the yabbys or crawdads as you know them. They just dig through the walls of the dam with there tunnels and I'm forever dumping dirt making the walls thicker to keep the water in. They actually sell for good money here which I wouldn't mind cashing in on but I would prefer to just eat them.

Wild pigs are sought after here. They are very tasty! I love hand rubbing and smoking a wild pork loin or roast in my smoker. You can do so much with that meat - my wife cooks with ground pork just like you would hamburger.

Wow, a forum with some handy chiefs.

Maybe you all may have some nice recipes for me to try on yabbys. I have a dam putrid with them.

If I can find no real use for them, cooking wise, I'll throw a couple of long neck tortoises in the dam to wipe them out. The tortoises love them.

At the moment not using them for eating is making them over populate and they fill the dam with holes which takes up time I really don't have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104104[/ATTACH]

If I throw in a trap and leave it in for about 8 hours, I get about 20 per trap. I have about 6 traps.

Maybe some roo or wild pig dishes would be nice. Not short of either of them either.

Mate thats awesome, treat them like a prawn when trying to cook with them, search for recipes. We always put them in salty water to make them sick, then straight into hotwater, just like a prawn.

• Administrators

Yeah yabbies are freaking delicious.

There's so much you can do with them. You could as suggested:

• Cooked in well salted water, then treat as prawns with a dipping sauce or two.
  • Treat them like singapore crab. Plenty of recipes online for that
  • Take the tail meat out, stir fry VERY quickly with garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander
  • Make a linguini with yabby meat, garlic, lemon, cream, chives and a touch of parmesan

The list could go on.

Brad

Yeah yabbies are freaking delicious.

There's so much you can do with them. You could as suggested:

• Cooked in well salted water, then treat as prawns with a dipping sauce or two.
  • Treat them like singapore crab. Plenty of recipes online for that
  • Take the tail meat out, stir fry VERY quickly with garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander
  • Make a linguini with yabby meat, garlic, lemon, cream, chives and a touch of parmesan

The list could go on.

Brad

What Brad said,

cook them in water that is pretty salted so they dont taste muddy.

just make sure they are clean of parasites.

If you have time, and you have a big fish tank you can keep them for a few days In nice clean water with a bubbler to really make them tasty. If you do this it can remove the mud from their system.

I found yabbies caught in moving water like creeks tasted best and they were cleaner, but We used to put the yabbies from a Dam into a tank of clean water for a few days and they tasted so good

But how much fun we had as Kids catching yabbies, we would either lift rocks up in the creek and catch them by hand or the old string with a piece of meat in a stocking and drag them up. Good times

I pickle my Yabbie tails in vinegar they are great on a biscuit with cheese I use the left over juice form a jar of pickled onions mmm easy and tasty

I cannot say I have ever tried that. sounds pretty good

This is what I'll be cooking soon... and for the next repair party. :)

My wife and I picked these up from the processor this afternoon: Breakfast Sausage and Italian Sausage from the deer I shot on Dec. 30th.

Venison.thumb.jpg.bb61fda1664f34b84e6efab8a146769a.jpg

Paid them $200.99 to turn the deer into some delicious goodies.

Damm, so many great ideas. Thank you all so much.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I'll be cooking soon... and for the next repair party. :)

My wife and I picked these up from the processor this afternoon: Breakfast Sausage and Italian Sausage from the deer I shot on Dec. 30th.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104152[/ATTACH]

Paid them $200.99 to turn the deer into some delicious goodies.

Hmmm, I forgot to mention the deer, goats and rabbits. While I have not seen deer on our farm and the trail cam hasn't either, that means little. The deer are in massive numbers about 15kms away around a lake that I have been invited to go shooting with some of the locals a few times now.

Deer are sited in my area but not in such big numbers as the lake offers. Goats are pretty much the same although they do tend to stick to the river about 1km away. Rabbits well what can I say. When I built the farmhouse I purposely put in balconys on each end of the upper floor with the idea them being idea for taking out the rabbits that appear around the house on dusk

If it's legal where you are, plant a food plot to attract them. They love peas and wheat, sorghum, and other things like that. You might not be able to hunt near the food plot, depending on your laws, but it will bring them in.

Another thing is a reliable source of water. You should dig out and dam up a natural runoff area to create a pond or small lake big enough to hold water through dry spells. That will greatly increase the wildlife population in your area.

Rabbits for supper would be awesome! Around the place I go hunting you only see them at dusk and dawn - the predator threat is far too high with coyotes, foxes, bobcats, mountain lions, hawks, and eagles during the day. At night the hawks and eagles don't hunt, but the owls do. :)

• 3 weeks later...

How about a 3 egg omelette/1 tablespoon of milk, shake of salt 'n' pepper blended until light and frothy, pan fried, flipped then stuffed with half a sliced/diced onion, one tomato, grated cheese, folded then topped with home-made mild sweet chilli sauce on toasted rye bread...

http://vpforums.org/imghost/115/o1a_t.jpg

http://vpforums.org/imghost/115/o2a_t.jpg