IGNORED

Atari 2600 Pinball

Hey folks,

Taking a Magic City and doing a re-theme to Atari 2600. I have a bunch of ideas already going for play rules and artwork but the big playfield magic won't happen for about another 3 weeks. The playfield is so beautiful on this one that I've given one of the Dallas Makerspace pinball guys 30 days to see if he can find one to do a playfield swap with before I start on that.

In the meantime, there are plenty of things to do!

Last night I sandblasted the rusted legs and took out the old rusted up feet. One tried to twist in two but luckily I got it off without having to resort to heat or welding a nut on to what was left of the threaded shaft. :)

P_20160925_001006.thumb.jpg.5827a1a29b811294909fd68e567b4ef4.jpg

The legs cleaned up nicely and will be powdercoated black. I already have new feet with rubber cups that go over them to protect the hand scraped hardwood floor in the game room.

P_20160925_000956.thumb.jpg.86da9e279e1a90f21b29e9c2ba9da65d.jpg

I started the chimebox coding this morning and have it working already. I posted videos up on Facebook in a picture album I created. It's working VERY well! I have the solenoids active for 50ms each time they fire and then have to code in small delays to make the music sound natural. So far I have individual hits, a scale, and Charge! playing. :D

P_20160925_190049.thumb.jpg.030d623d863db9753a5a9dd3677ea0d7.jpg

And now I have First Call playing. That's the tune to call the horses and riders to the starting gate. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It's great to see another homebrew pin on this forum.

Great start too, I love the idea with the chimes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks!

It's not 100% a homebrew. I'm doing a re-theme on Magic City - new art, new rules, and re-using the layout and components. The logic is being all ripped out and replaced with Arduinos, but I *am* keeping the EM score reels. :)

Theme is Atari 2600 and I'll have the 7 plastics custom printed with Atari artwork from Yars Revenge, Warlords, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Battlezone, Berzerk, and Pinball. The playfield will have characters from those games around it and the 2nd row of lights above where it spells out Magic City (soon to be Atari 2600) will have the stripes from the rows of blocks on Breakout. That 2nd row of lights will change color to match the disappearing rows each time the respective target is hit. When the last "block" (red) is hit, the light will go out and no more score from that target will be possible. (Yes, evil...)

- - - Updated - - -

This is a pic of the existing playfield.

14409485_10154110166234132_1440431549055626414_o.thumb.jpg.9bf3b23b8c29b191c8c0cd50144e0a18.jpg

Played around with modeling some light pipes on my 3D printer...

Small one was downloaded off Thingiverse... Medium one was an attempted edit of that... Large one is a start from scratch and I think tall enough to pipe the light up and scatter it for GI use.

P_20160926_231108.thumb.jpg.a13cb793843fdcdec74b5e9f8081ff3c.jpg

Now I just have to print it in something translucent.

• 2 months later...

Printing translucent light pipes sucks. It doesn't work.

I found some light pipes at a local electronics components store and designed a mount that fits the NeoPixel LEDs perfectly. I designed it with 4 little notches to fit around the soldered legs and one to fit over top of the tiny chip cap next to it. It's designed to be a tight press fit around a 5mm light pipe and worked beautifully.

It's posted to Thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1940202

I've figured out how to use FastLED to handle all the LEDs so I can use them in a single string of 37 for the playfield. This will help greatly as it will reduce the number of pins required for running the LEDs on the playfield to a single pin on the Arduino Mega.

leds[0] = CRGB::Blue;
leds[1] = CRGB::Green;
leds[2] = CRGB::Yellow;
leds[3] = CRGB::OrangeRed;
leds[4] = CRGB::Red;
leds[5] = CRGB::DarkMagenta;
FastLED.show();

It keeps track of the LED string colors by position. Initialize all the LEDs to the color you want then simply use the LED number in the leds[x] command to choose the LED and set the color using an RGB string or using the CRGB::color_name to do it by friendly color names. Once the particular LED is set, use FastLED.show() to write the string out with the changes desired.

As for mounting the LEDs... Dallas Makerspace had a 12" metal shear and I used it to cut down a 12 x 24" sheet of 22ga steel into strips. While at DMS one of the members helped me cut a slot in the 18" metal brake I bought at Harbor Freight Tools. This allowed me to be able to bend the strips into a Z shape and I used a set of hand held metal shears to cut the strips to size. A quick application of good quality double sided foam tape holds the LED in place.

ba91e4724908ca0b27f76e0d46e1c577e05d1826.JPG

Now I have to cut out and bend 36 more for the other playfield LEDs. :)

Took a tape measure and did a layout in MS Publisher the size of the playfield. After that I measured and did the layout for the playfield inserts.

When it comes time to to the playfield, I'll print this out on the large printer at Dallas Makerspace and see how all the inserts line up. Once they are corrected on the page I'll start laying out all the playfield switches, lanes, targets, etc... for the next print test. After that will come the custom art. :)

2073617767_InsertLayout-FirstPass.JPG.4afaaac7087107f9bd8934b575ddb840.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up a vinyl cutter on the cheap and the software will vectorize images easily. :)

Now I have a template for the orange ring around the Atari 2600 joystick that will be painted around the flipper buttons and a template to paint the silver Atari logo on the sides of the cabinets.

Now to figure out how to do a template for the wood grain on the sides. I see an airbrush setup being purchased in my near future.

• 4 weeks later...
Picked up a vinyl cutter on the cheap and the software will vectorize images easily. :)

Now I have a template for the orange ring around the Atari 2600 joystick that will be painted around the flipper buttons and a template to paint the silver Atari logo on the sides of the cabinets.

Now to figure out how to do a template for the wood grain on the sides. I see an airbrush setup being purchased in my near future.

NOPE... changed directions.

I picked up a tiny printer (44" roll) and will try to use it to print the playfield and the cabinet art. :)

It cost me $200 for the printer and a yuuuuge amount more for two printheads and 8 ink tanks. (EEEEK!)

199045104_IMG_20170206_1912196491.thumb.jpg.d1631fed808a681556025873c5068476.jpg

Took the Metaza impact engraver training at Dallas Makerspace and engraved some playfield pieces with Atari 2600 related items.

466198836_IMG_20170218_2359016172.thumb.jpg.4872eaaa1bfcb3ac0854309c8698999f.jpg

One of these items is an Easter egg. See if you can figure it out! :D

2003574135_IMG_20170219_0020022661.thumb.jpg.ff0e89d5e0a51ffaa7fcf9ec23e0085f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the playfield cleared off, the holes cut out of the test print, and laid it down on the playfield... and it was almost perfect. :)

The bottom 2 left red ones need to move left 1/8" and up 1/8", the bottom two right ones need to move up 1/16" and left 1/16", the blue ones need to move up 1/16", the two white ones above them move left 1/16", the White one on the upper left moves right 1/16", and the 5 white ones at the top move down 1/16".

Not bad for using a tape measure on a populated playfield!

Tonight I adjust those and start doing more layout on the playfield beyond this:

604017786_Insertlayout2.thumb.jpg.c0341cfdc1793889766405c77e14d481.jpg

If you look closely, the breakout bricks are textured. I did that to make it look more like it was done on a TV screen.

Took a tape measure and did a layout in MS Publisher the size of the playfield. After that I measured and did the layout for the playfield inserts.

When it comes time to to the playfield, I'll print this out on the large printer at Dallas Makerspace and see how all the inserts line up. Once they are corrected on the page I'll start laying out all the playfield switches, lanes, targets, etc... for the next print test. After that will come the custom art. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103274[/ATTACH]

The cover above the upper part of the playfield is done. The orange box, black bar between face and top, and the 4 switches were drawn in Publisher. The pebble background and striped & pebbled top were scans from a 2600. The text was a scan from a 2600 front label that was run through my vinyl plotter software and vectorized.

2083477580_UpperApron.thumb.jpg.0d64ec935415483f4050cc5ff8abd19d.jpg

Here's a test fit after printing it on 4 sheets on my wife's color laser and taping them all together. It was trimmed using a hobby knife and a cutting mat.

24729046_IMG_20170307_2000584191.thumb.jpg.213ff228839f27766165eac3217946c0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
NOPE... changed directions.

I picked up a tiny printer (44" roll) and will try to use it to print the playfield and the cabinet art. :)

It cost me $200 for the printer and a yuuuuge amount more for two printheads and 8 ink tanks. (EEEEK!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106079[/ATTACH]

Took the Metaza impact engraver training at Dallas Makerspace and engraved some playfield pieces with Atari 2600 related items.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106080[/ATTACH]

One of these items is an Easter egg. See if you can figure it out! :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106081[/ATTACH]

I've moved you up to the Veteran usergroup for your great contributions to AA.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's fiscal year end this month so we're trying to book all the deals we can. Typical sales role stuff. ;)

It's been so busy that I've had to carve out time in the evenings just to build cap kits, rebuild kits, and work on boards that folks have shipped in and say "I'm off the work laptop tonight."

I was cramming to finish some slides for tomorrow night... WHEW!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113372[/ATTACH]

Doing a class on bad capacitors at Dallas Makerspace

That looks interesting. I wish we had something like that around here. I don't know how it would go in a country town but I'd like to try and set something up when we move to our new place?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by BIG Trev