Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Taito Ice Cold Beer scratch build

mcpit

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's one thing to scratch build a can and throw and led and 60-1 in it but this takes it to a whole new level! Great effort, looking forward to seeing the final product.

Yeah, this^^^

Big job, you can see a lot of work gone into the build - beyond what most would be capable of attempting. Nice work.

What's your plan for the stretcher bar?

When are planning on doing the programming and controls?

Ball rod: after days of research on ebay, alibaba and all aluminium manufacturers and model shops online, it is good ol bunnings that saved me again. I found there two 1m aluminium tubes of I think 6 and 8mm that fit and slide perfectly inside each other.

Also, unlike most ICB it seems, I'm planning to make the narrower tube disappear *completely* inside the larger tube when in horizontal position, so the ball should hopefully never get held between the two tubes, if that makes sense?

Programming: I've done basic arduino, sound and stepper motor tests already but for now I need to finish all the cabling and connectors first. And day time job quite hectic these days so programming should start in ~3 weeks probably.

:)

Edited by mcpit

Looks good. Lots of ways to skin cats, but for seven segment displays do you know about TM1637 display modules like ebay 262569256655 - might save you some work from what it looks like your planning?

I did not know about those! Nice! I was about to regret my choice!!.. then I realised that while both chips seem to be very similar, the TM1637 chip itself can only drive up to 6 displays. The Max7221 can control 8 of them = exactly the number ICB uses. Using 3 x TM1637 modules would take from 4 to 6 Arduino outputs as opposed to 3 for the Max (I'm going to be VERY short on I/Os in this project).

You could crimp them into a IDE Plug, they are designed for ribbon cable, then solder an IDE base onto your bread board for it to plug into. Way back in the past, we also crimped on like an IC plug, that then plugged into an IC base that you had soldered onto the board.

Let me know if anyone knows a (cheap and) better way to attach standard pin connectors to long ribbon cables..?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99737[/ATTACH]

JST connectors maybe?

Your setup looks safe enough anyway, I guess it's only if you really wanted a cleaner look you could go with something different, but it looks pretty secure like it is. I'd leave it.

Audio initial tests (Very low volume, no amplification yet)

Audio ripped from ICB Mame ROM, converted using Audacity, stored as WAV files on SD card and played using "SimpleSDAudio" Arduino library. (I wasn't able to get the more common "TMRpcm" library to work..)

It's a bit hard to see what's going on with the wiring - is the speaker wiring coming from the sd card module of the from the arduino? If it's the later there are modules that have the sd and audio out on the same device. The one I've played with is made by Catalex, a few $ on ebay fairly easy to drive using the serial library, so just two wires.

Keep the posts and progress coming - such a cool project.

It's a bit hard to see what's going on with the wiring - is the speaker wiring coming from the sd card module of the from the arduino? If it's the later there are modules that have the sd and audio out on the same device. The one I've played with is made by Catalex, a few $ on ebay fairly easy to drive using the serial library, so just two wires.

Mm.. interesting. I might switch to your option later on. The speaker here is connected to the Arduino, which means it's doing a fair bit of processing, and I must say this got me a little worried it might struggle when I start running everything in parallel (multitasking with scheduler). We'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Return switch bracket. With return and errant ball switches.

A bit of guess work here based on the manual drawings, as I don't have reference photos of this one.

IMG_2502.jpg.fc73163efcd40be61c2089e6d05c868e.jpgIMG_2503.jpg.3b7eb81d7cf9d068e0b4581fb81ddbb5.jpgIMG_2504.jpg.ae9ad7ccaf4d51b9a740a94b229ec727.jpgIMG_2506.jpg.ba7e0179afd5e72132297615abbb1e59.jpgIMG_2505.jpg.59286860b3d86ad4b9d18bff9e981497.jpg

• 3 weeks later...