Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Taito Ice Cold Beer scratch build

mcpit

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask if you still have the plans for the playfield in a vector file or something by chance? I found some stuff online (pinside) but either I'm doing something wrong opening it, or it's not right. The guy putting that particular one together was doing some interesting stuff with round LEDs inside the home holes which I think changed things.

All I had at the time was a reproduction of the vacuum-formed channels of the back which gave me the positions of the "right" holes, and then a photo of the playfield printed to size to help me guess the positions of the "wrong" holes. (See photos at the beginning of the thread.) No vector file or anything accurate unfortunately. :(

I would definitely have tried using the files on the pinside thread at the time had it existed. (Those look right to me, what issue are you having?)

Looking good mate, how'd you get the 3-4mm recess for the plastic, router with copy bit? Template used or free hand?

Cheers

Router kind of free hand, with a few tests first, straight edge and clamps for the borders, and going very slowly for the round corners. That worked well.

Router kind of free hand, with a few tests first, straight edge and clamps for the borders, and going very slowly for the round corners. That worked well.

Thanks for that, I thought that's probably how, I have to do a similar thing soon to my donkey kong control panel.

Can't wait to see your work finished, only just played this game for the first time few weeks back

All I had at the time was a reproduction of the vacuum-formed channels of the back which gave me the positions of the "right" holes, and then a photo of the playfield printed to size to help me guess the positions of the "wrong" holes. (See photos at the beginning of the thread.) No vector file or anything accurate unfortunately. :(

I would definitely have tried using the files on the pinside thread at the time had it existed. (Those look right to me, what issue are you having?)

Bit hard to explain.

I'm finding different information on the net regarding the actual size of the playfield to start with, and even when I scale the SVG (it doesn't open to the size it says it is on Pinside - though not sure if this is something to do with GIMP) the holes are far to close together.

I haven't played or looked at the ICB at Netherworld extensively, but I did print out the SVG file in black and white as actual size at OfficeWorks and you can clearly see the holes are too close together. You can probably just download the files yourself, and you can see it without printing.

I'm not a member at Pinside, so I haven't got on there and asked, nor have I read the complete thread, as with this one. So perhaps I'm missing something. IDK.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the guy doing what I'd call a variation of ICB is doing some funky looking stuff (looks really cool if you see some of his pics) which necessitated him having slightly larger holes.

I think without looking at the notes I've collected from various sources, that some of the measurements on the Pinside build might have metric and some might have been imperial which doesn't make any sense whatsoever - would need to go back to check this though. Being a USA build, surely all the original measurements would have been 100% imperial.

Anyway, it's a really interesting project from a build and programming side of things using the Arduino. I probably should just put the playfield aside to start with, getting the bar moving and a ball bearing falling into a whole and triggering a microswitch should be enough to keep me busy for the next 12 months :)

Bit hard to explain.

I'm finding different information on the net regarding the actual size of the playfield to start with, and even when I scale the SVG (it doesn't open to the size it says it is on Pinside - though not sure if this is something to do with GIMP) the holes are far to close together.

I haven't played or looked at the ICB at Netherworld extensively, but I did print out the SVG file in black and white as actual size at OfficeWorks and you can clearly see the holes are too close together. You can probably just download the files yourself, and you can see it without printing.

I'm not a member at Pinside, so I haven't got on there and asked, nor have I read the complete thread, as with this one. So perhaps I'm missing something. IDK.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the guy doing what I'd call a variation of ICB is doing some funky looking stuff (looks really cool if you see some of his pics) which necessitated him having slightly larger holes.

I think without looking at the notes I've collected from various sources, that some of the measurements on the Pinside build might have metric and some might have been imperial which doesn't make any sense whatsoever - would need to go back to check this though. Being a USA build, surely all the original measurements would have been 100% imperial.

Anyway, it's a really interesting project from a build and programming side of things using the Arduino. I probably should just put the playfield aside to start with, getting the bar moving and a ball bearing falling into a whole and triggering a microswitch should be enough to keep me busy for the next 12 months :)

Hey John, I currently have my ICB in pieces, so you're welcome to take some measurements and look over it if you like?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Hey John, I currently have my ICB in pieces, so you're welcome to take some measurements and look over it if you like?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

That would be awesome. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow and arrange a time. I'm half tempted to get to the Gold Coast this long weekend to have another look at Time Zone - but if you aren't available, not prob as I have free time most weekends.

• 10 months later...

Hello, excellent work by ICE COLD BEER!

I want to do the same thing but I need the design of the table with the holes for the ball, could you send me that image to print it?

And if you have something of the design for the plotter I would be very grateful

Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina.

Thank you very much!

Greetings.

• 8 months later...

Bravo! Excellent work :applause:

Is there a chance to have the project plans with the design and the program? :worship:

I have a software version but it will be so cool to have a mechanical version

Thank You Very Much :D

• 10 months later...

Hi there and greetings from Athens Greece. Sometime in 2015 I started like you making an ICB replica game from scratch. I started with the woodworking part. I didn't have any exact measurements so I eyeballed a lot of stuff. Playfield angle and cabinet cutaway for the playfield where done wrong at 10 degrees and have restricted my side art area volume significantly. I started experimenting with the bar a bit and made 3 prototypes that didn't work for different reasons. After seeing your attempt and the Space Base variant I decided to pick up the project again (last week) and continue with linear ball bearings and precision shafts. At the time I had started experimenting with the 7 segment displays and had a working board that was arduino controlled. In fact the main board was arduino mega with multiplexing for lamps, switches and displays. The seven segment part worked okay but I remember having difficulty with clearing the display for new commands (software wise). I never messed with motors because of the mechanical issues I was facing with the moving bar prototypes. The CP you see is only for decoration at this time because the game has been sitting on my stairway for 5 years now. I am willing to share my code if that helps your project although I suspect it might be incompatible due to the nature of arduino c++ code. I am also willing to collaborate on this project with you for the good of us both finishing our projects. In any case I hope this brings you some inspiration to complete your ICB.

Best regards, Aristotelis Petridis

P.S. Fun fact: my playfield holes where marked with a projector shining a flattened web image of the original ICB to my playfield wood :P

2c31ea17e4ecf212fac02f4e758d70a9.thumb.jpg.51a936dd77320772e4f988fda07323bf.jpg

1e9f65b9910a6201841a29b713f6a76f.thumb.jpg.e934ded7010c5fdd97e7cfdda2a72158.jpg

a4e8915a02cf777f686aba88ae5b00e6.thumb.jpg.33e2aab6c6846bee843e84be58f0331a.jpg

cfef003609f32babf3b56f0d6c2b138b.thumb.jpg.738971ac0ea18a771cc211c146b2fc5a.jpg

9b528f39697a859990bcc1aea6012248.thumb.jpg.3b6ed89f385e9861ee9ebae5b12f8608.jpg

f56950597f16f6494e77676cd6d84b9d.thumb.jpg.f8cd3cd0044411dd08fa3e978935c3b5.jpg

f42cb80c047bd7302cdf8d0ffa9900f0.thumb.jpg.71b90735d1897a60781be57cb21db0ca.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...