Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pin Cab Build 32"/32"/17"

Hi Guys, after reading Kaizans build thread i thought it was time i posted my build.

I have 2 32" tvs 1 for backbox and the other for playfield, i hope to change that to a 40" screen in the near future, but that is what i had

without spending more money on screens, the 3rd screen is a 17" PC monitor for the DMD display.

So ive spent a lot of hours on the software side of things, BIG thanks to Brad and Jed for the 2 screen download setup, this made life a lot easier, i have

the software running pretty good with 3 screens, still a bit of tweaking to do.

I have built the cabinet from scratch using a standard Williams cabinet plan, due to lack of empty cabs in Tas, plus i had to modify the backbox to take the 32" screen,

i did have plans to run the screen in the vertical position for back box but didnt like the look, so opted for 3 screen setup.

Cabinet built from 18mm mdf, glued and screwed, it was a good project for father and son, he enjoyed the build part.

some photos of the progress so far

Ian

pic1.thumb.jpg.c596435a5c8e87977b713b72aefefd63.jpg

pic2.thumb.jpg.e81439753e6573f7e5a68d18e80c6494.jpg

pic3.thumb.jpg.821853dfcb32eb7dd0a45788c300628b.jpg

pic4.thumb.jpg.0b362cf7c5e3e828d4b760218750fb72.jpg

Edited by 63wizz
add Jeds name

Next i fitted the tv into the backbox, the backbox had to be made 60mm wider than standard to accept the tv.

i then made a shelf and screwed the 17" monitor in position.

i then gave the cabinet 2 coats of black paint inside and out, applied by paint roller, sanding between coats.

pic5.thumb.jpg.becf4afb55fa45698c0638617aff317f.jpg

pic6.thumb.jpg.e729638262c1bd762f1b02b71fdee3fa.jpg

pic7.thumb.jpg.a4f997bb06c8447b5ef14a5e5472bd4b.jpg

pic8.thumb.jpg.c5fe7a09f7e8de78f696769bcafd2b37.jpg

Then it was time for some artwork, i found some of Stuzzas artwork on vpforum, his art is absolutely fantastic, he has a real talent putting this stuff together,

so i give him the dimensions for my build and he draws it to the exact size required.

then someone to print this fantastic art, Mamepatrol is the man, he has done an excellent job printing the art, and the vinyl is so easy to put on.

pic9.thumb.jpg.7c090f2c3c7a909201765c692fe4e7ce.jpg

pic10.thumb.jpg.3e688790827e7e5f417e59078b160e4e.jpg

pic11.thumb.jpg.2f425d1165d9c74bf1565efaefbc2369.jpg

pic12.thumb.jpg.d15a02f345d588787beb6db11f31bd9c.jpg

Nice work so far - Stuzza is awesome with his artwork so you've done well there. I assume you're using real pinball metalwork (ie legs, rails, lockdown bar)?

Thanks Ozstick,Yes i am using pinball metal work.

I ordered some legs of ebay, and installed them, its nice to finally have it on legs.

i fitted the back box monitor and couldnt help but plug it in to see how it looked, at this stage i was waiting for my coin door to arrive so i could cut the hole

in the front, as this would make a mess i could not install any other electronics.

The door didnt arrive for the weekend so i couldnt help but sit every thing in the cabinet and have a play.

- - - Updated - - -

The coin door arrived Monday, Thanks goes out to Pinmem/Oscar for a nice coin door, anyway i fitted the coin door and started to install the electronics.

I used an I PAC2 for the button encoding, thanks to OZstick for that and a heap of coloured wires with spade connectors.

Monday was a good day for parcels, also arriving was a pair of very nice side rails from RailWays JPD, these have been installed as well.

pic13.thumb.jpg.c8db4e75f3b79e5f8065732c6a9e4aa6.jpg

pic15.thumb.jpg.342f39beb51d4072fe5e09516f2decfe.jpg

pic14.thumb.jpg.2e4edf33f069dda344bb209023b94df7.jpg

pic16.thumb.jpg.78cb6c20c6b87d7e1a2661567af32fd4.jpg

pic17.thumb.jpg.b36b3eb14dcb6afdd30aae35efc99c50.jpg

pic18.thumb.jpg.16fbaae9eff40307669750ea00b1eb95.jpg

pic19.thumb.jpg.544f2dfea29684205794f1123889d73e.jpg

pic20.thumb.jpg.de558ec9faae0c1267cc89a9e965cf90.jpg

I have wired all the buttons up, it is hard to know how many buttons to install in your machine, so i put 5 buttons under my machine.

1 starts computer which starts everything via one of those fancy power boards Ozstick mentioned in a post a while back.

2 open coin door.

3 reset pinmame.

4 empty.

5 DMD start, the PC dmd will not start after power unplugged.

6 flipper left.

7 flipper right

8 magna save/ letter jump in pinballx.

9 magna save/ letter jump in pinballx.

10 enter/ball launch

11 i wired up a leaf switch to the coin door coin eject buttons for insert coins

12 player 1 start.

13 button for special functions like star trek punch it button on the lock down bar.

14 escape.

flippers scroll through tables in pinballx.

Yesterday i tidied up all the wiring, im waiting for a lock down bar to arrive.

and thats about where im up to at the moment, ive been playing some tables and it is a far better experience than playing on the desktop computer

im enjoying playing all these new to me tables.

pic21.thumb.jpg.cc9df7c5664486d20be88a594e7bd26d.jpg

pic22.thumb.jpg.33a3706f887b7d17d3dc34c0b5e895ea.jpg

pic23.thumb.jpg.0646a92f82ff1ddf3308676dbd5227f0.jpg

pic24.thumb.jpg.95d674f10d35423da848864d7add2f14.jpg

Looking great, I like that youve hidden a lot of the buttons underneath. I managed to get away without adding any extra buttons and will use a wireless keyboard and mouse if I need to do anything other than use the menu and play games.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about these virtual pins is you always seem to be fiddling with the software, linking images to tables etc.

anyhow things have slowed down a bit with the build, it is almost finished, just a few more touches here and there.

I have installed the playfield glass, but i think i will paint a mask on the underside as im not happy with the foam board

i used to blank off around the playfield screen, plus i have no access to the computer, only through the coin door

i thought about installing a door in the back of the cabinet, but decided against it, i couldnt really see it being much use.

I have installed a perspex panel over the front of the Backbox and DMD screens and painted a black mask to blank out unwanted areas.

i drilled holes for the speaker sound through the perspex, and have ordered some 4" car audio speaker covers to cover the drilled holes.

I also bought some plastic chrome strip from supercheap, and stuck it around the edge of the backglass (normally used on car wheel arches).

the backglass is installed like most backglasses, lift and pull forward to remove.

some pics for your entertainment.

- - - Updated - - -

some more photos

346735763_pic42.thumb.jpg.7039ea316ff33d1fef20c2f67461a214.jpg

pic39.thumb.jpg.abfd2f3de90d8d6ab03f181853b25e4e.jpg

pic40.thumb.jpg.6a38ca5764cb2feb4be77aad70f64010.jpg

pic41.thumb.jpg.2918a97427be7dabfb44be68848aefbf.jpg

pic43.thumb.jpg.94d2fe6d39336ab8738a666b8808718e.jpg

pic44.thumb.jpg.8f846133e917a6ac0d4b54cb98797d1d.jpg

pic45.thumb.jpg.7e73a3eacc2f0b96e395a517e48a1b16.jpg

pic46.thumb.jpg.27ae650bed219cd91af2de908cde0c86.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
This looks really good. Are your speakers in the backboard behind glass?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Thanks mate, the speakers are in the backbox, it is a sheet of perspex with holes drilled through it, i am waiting on some car speaker covers to cover the drilled holes, there is also a subwoofer in the cabinet base.

i like how you are using a three screen setup but have the backglasses displaying in the correct aspect ratio. tend to see 3 screen builds with the bg image stretched, that really takes away from the overall look imo.

How long before you start hunting for a larger playfield ;)

you can get pretty good 5-8 year old 1080p sammy's or sony's for a song on gummy these days.... 'used to be' high end stuff makes a much better playfield display than a cheapie new no-name panel.

i like how you are using a three screen setup but have the backglasses displaying in the correct aspect ratio. tend to see 3 screen builds with the bg image stretched, that really takes away from the overall look imo.

How long before you start hunting for a larger playfield ;)

you can get pretty good 5-8 year old 1080p sammy's or sony's for a song on gummy these days.... 'used to be' high end stuff makes a much better playfield display than a cheapie new no-name panel.

Thanks mate, yes i wanted to keep the backglass aspect ratio as close as possible to normal, i am not a fan of streched images, but, as i have done to keep costs down, is to use what you have already, in my case 2 x 32" screens and a 17" monitor.

Yes i am keeping an eye out for a 40" screen for playfield, then my VP will be a fantastic experiance to play, cause im enjoying it as it is so far.

Its funny, i spent so much time setting it up and test playing tables and thought how good it was to play, until i turned on one of my real pins and it felt so strange to play. Nothing like the real thing, but i love the VP as well, so many games ive never played before, my favourite so far is Bride of Pinbot, ive never played the real thing.

Thanks mate, yes i wanted to keep the backglass aspect ratio as close as possible to normal, i am not a fan of streched images, but, as i have done to keep costs down, is to use what you have already, in my case 2 x 32" screens and a 17" monitor.

Yes i am keeping an eye out for a 40" screen for playfield, then my VP will be a fantastic experiance to play, cause im enjoying it as it is so far.

Its funny, i spent so much time setting it up and test playing tables and thought how good it was to play, until i turned on one of my real pins and it felt so strange to play. Nothing like the real thing, but i love the VP as well, so many games ive never played before, my favourite so far is Bride of Pinbot, ive never played the real thing.

It does screw with your head a bit going from real to virtual. I have real pins too, but once you are get used to the virtual, they can be just as fun I reckon and like you said, you have any table at your disposal. (and they don't have near as many things to go wrong.)

I think it's pretty awesome you can have a mame cab, and a vp cab, and you have an Amusement Centre of the old days, playing anything and everything you want to, sure it isn't the real thing, but the fun/experience is a pretty close feel.

The biggest adjustment I found is the flipper speed/shots are quicker to execute on real pins, you kind of need to 'de-tune' yourself once you step in front of your vpin. Bride of Pin*Bot is awesome in VP, there are so many great recreations. My faves are still the older ones, Abra Ca Dabra, Joker Poker, Taxi. I really like Krull too, I think only 10 real Krull's were ever produced before the production run got cancelled.... so when the owner of a real Krull stripped it back and scanned everything for VP use, getting to play one of those is something most people will never do, but on the cab it is pretty great, that lower playfield with the fresnel lens is a bit of a spinout!

I will have to give krull a go, i dont think i have played that one yet.

I have loaded mame on my vp as well, 600 odd games, i will have to kull them, to many to choose, i have it displayed on the back glass, im not a big arcade game player, but it will do me so i can have a game of spacies etc.

I might set it up as a jukebox as well, but then cant play pinball with juke box going.

What else can be done on it, probably other consol emulators.

My computer is not fast enough to set up VP10.

My computer is not fast enough to set up VP10.

Yeah one of the few game breaking issues with vp10 is hardware requirements, along with weird ball spin, and wimpy nudge! I've got a swag of vp10 tables all run perfect, but vp9 (Imo) has the sheer fun factor.

Even the vp10 remakes of classics like afm, mm, taf, don't bring huge improvements over the already excellent vp9 versions. The vp10 remake of Tron is actually heaps worse to play....

Yeah one of the few game breaking issues with vp10 is hardware requirements, along with weird ball spin, and wimpy nudge! I've got a swag of vp10 tables all run perfect, but vp9 (Imo) has the sheer fun factor.

Even the vp10 remakes of classics like afm, mm, taf, don't bring huge improvements over the already excellent vp9 versions. The vp10 remake of Tron is actually heaps worse to play....

Looks like i will stick with vp9 for a while, its a lot of fun, so im happy, just need a larger playfield tv.

100% agree with those sentiments. In addition, rather than VP10, if you are not entirely happy with how a VP9 table plays then learn how to tweak force, friction, elasticity etc settings of individual playfield objects (such as flippers, pop bumpers, slingshots) to improve how the table plays. It is a heap of effort to go to, but IMO well worth it. VP10 LOOKS nice but we should be striving for function over form.

Ive attached some speaker covers to the perspex back glass, i need to install a coin door lock and this project is finished, no doubt there will

be more software tweeks as each table is played. I need to clean all the glass now that ive stopped taking it on and off the pin.

Plus i want a bigger playfield screen, but there is no rush for that. (maybe).

Mame is running on the back glass, just for something extra to play with.

- - - Updated - - -

More pics

- - - Updated - - -

and more pics

70.thumb.jpg.5b0bafc9f9ff3e1fe051eae24f0c5119.jpg

71.thumb.jpg.440ba5c11aeb6a2271758f85d430f386.jpg

72.thumb.jpg.c4251607668093abcbe0cf6d577a0193.jpg

73.thumb.jpg.59bd325f839db098066500198e6d1c36.jpg

74.thumb.jpg.dafd7dd16554c8ec233b4a8b2e06c346.jpg

75.thumb.jpg.1ba1084803cd187979180766d4a3a523.jpg

76.thumb.jpg.86ec02517c0d609c6e89a54dd5371e50.jpg

77.thumb.jpg.b657938d1d6b6d5d9c283828e1a360b1.jpg

78.thumb.jpg.e3e19239559bdda080d6a10515366de2.jpg

79.thumb.jpg.61eeffc78ece38356bd48a80b6c11e20.jpg

80.thumb.jpg.763fb3273d33247e90cdd0e438b1ba00.jpg

81.thumb.jpg.7fc0c44b4136aae8713cabd625185db0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the images, the 32" backglass seems to be a good size compared to the standard pinball backglasses. Would you agree or do you think there might be a better size TV? I am considering a 32" backglass for a 40" playfield but am unsure of how it will look.

When you say that you have added a button for special functions like star trek punch it button on the lock down bar, is this the top button on the left side of the cab or have you put it elsewhere?

Pushing my luck here, but is there any chance that you could give me the plans/dimensions of your cab?

While I am stretching the friendship here... where did you get your side rails and lockdown bar from? How did you know what brand would suit the cab you built?

Thanks

Edited by JustAnotherRat

Looking at the images, the 32" backglass seems to be a good size compared to the standard pinball backglasses. Would you agree or do you think there might be a better size TV? I am considering a 32" backglass for a 40" playfield but am unsure of how it will look.

When you say that you have added a button for special functions like star trek punch it button on the lock down bar, is this the top button on the left side of the cab or have you put it elsewhere?

Pushing my luck here, but is there any chance that you could give me the plans/dimensions of your cab?

While I am stretching the friendship here... where did you get your side rails and lockdown bar from? How did you know what brand would suit the cab you built?

Thanks

Hi mate, im happy with the 32" tv for the backbox, i had to make the backbox wider than the standard size head, probably 60mm, i chose to have black edges on the sides of the screen so that the backbox image is not streched, i already had this tv and did not look at any others, i did think about having it vertical in the head, but it didnt look right, to narrow, maybe a 40" would look ok.

The cabinet i built was a williams standard size. The lock down bar i got from Pinball Spare Parts Australia, it is a copy of the williams standard size lock down bar, im happy with it, i have a Flintstones pinball machine and the new bar fits no problems, i didnt buy the hardware for the lock down bar to lock into, i just cut some slots in a piece of wood and attached to the inside of the cab, lock bar slides in the slots, fits like a glove, very secure.

The side rails i bought from JPD on this forum, his buisness name is Railways, great product and service.

I bought some plastic edgeing from bunnings and used double sided tape to attach for the glass to slide into.

The punchit button is the middle left button on the front of the cabinet, it is also used for the ball lift button on some of the old Gottlieb tables.

Send email address and i will send you the plan i used, i altered some dimentions to suit my build thou.

I will go and take some pictures and add to this post.

Ian