Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Top 10 grossing Arcade games in history

I have 6 on that list, provided Taito Space Invaders counts. I wonder if it's the same 6 as Vadership? I'd happily set fire to the other 4! :D

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

1. Pac-Man

2. Space Invaders

4. Ms. Pac-Man

5. NBA Jam (id say you would have defender instead of this)

7. Asteroids

10. Donkey Kong

- - - Updated - - -

Im interested in hearing about this shipment of yours when it arrives :)

I'm hoping to have another garage built soon, this will be my Arcade Room :)

So when this starts happening, I'll make sure I post some pics of it filling up.

Should be around the same time the games arrive.

NBA Jam grossed more money in earnings and sales in the same year than Jurassic Park did when released in the same year. Daytona was a massive money earner in the 90's

Yeah, I love NBA jam, and decades later I'm still trying to complete it ! Tho i prefer the max hangtime version over the original as it has the fade away jumpshots which gives you more options. Such a well balanced game, one of those titles I played way more in mame as it was too much of a money sucker BITD to buy a full game.

I am a sucker for sports games though and spend way too much time playing PES :)

Daytona was a massive money earner in the 90's

I remember playing Daytona at Timezone in Surfers Paradise in 1994, it was a single sit-in cab with a huge screen (similar to the one pictured below except I think it used a projector instead of a rear-projection monitor). It was $4 a game but man was it worth it! People were lining up to play it, and many others just stood and watched in amazement. I worked at Timezone in Melbourne the following year and Daytona was definitely the highest earning arcade machine where I worked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/NetsuaiAngel/Arcade%20Units/DaytonaUSA-SideView.png

Cheers,

Matthew

Daytona took my money.

I spent what I could on Space Invaders, Pac Man, Frogger, Asteroids, etc games when I was 13 by finding 20c returnable bottles and paper round money but Daytona was the optimum convergence of working and having the cash and willing to spend it on video games.

Jimmy D

I guess dollar value in the 90's machines were eating $1 coins as opposed to 20c so from a games played perspective the 80's probably blitz number of plays not dollars. I had a NBA Jam TE dedicated cabinet complete with topper that was picked up through the corner of my eye, it was spotted in a dusty cornerof a storage shed of an old operator and I then later sold it here to an AA members mate. Great game the guys who bought it new all the players and it was placed in a nightclub in the City (Melbourne).

The Daytona line up at Highpoint Playtime were making 15K a week I was told. Is that possible?

The Daytona line up at Highpoint Playtime were making 15K a week I was told. Is that possible?

How long does a race last?

if the next player starts as soon as the last guy gets out, then how many games can be played in a day

say 5 minutes per game, $2 per game, 12 games per hour, game on for 12 hours, seven days a week. $2016 per week

I do remember stories in the news that SI games in Japan had the problem of the coinboxes being full and no more credits could be added

How long does a race last?

if the next player starts as soon as the last guy gets out, then how many games can be played in a day

say 5 minutes per game, $2 per game, 12 games per hour, game on for 12 hours, seven days a week. $2016 per week

That is for 1 machine, but I don't recall ever seeing a single-player machine in any of the Timezones I worked at. Most were 2 or 4-player machines, although Timezone in Bourke Street and Knox both had 8 machines linked. It is conceivable that Playtime at Highpoint was making 15k per week from Daytona, if they had 8 machines linked. Timezone at Doncaster had 4 machines linked and they were raking it in.

Cheers,

Matthew

There were a number of places in Sydney that had 8 Daytona's linked.

Sega World, Kaos at Panthers and Intencity at Paramatta are the ones I played.

The one at Panthers had 8 people playing it from 7pm to 3am every Friday and Saturday night. It was $2 a game from memory so they were raking it in.

Don't forget MANX TT motorbikes 6-8 cycles and they sure did pull in the dollars and to think in the very late 80"s to early 90's I tried to convince a mate of mine to buy into a Timezone franchise with me we were young and I had vision but it didn't happen. To this day he reminds me of his regret.