Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Kong Off IV - AA 2016 Edition Official Thread

Second attempt, 404,400, made about 224k on my last man.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89425[/ATTACH]

Have you played much DK in the last 12 months? You really should stick with it, you're not far from stringing a game together and KSing it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you played much DK in the last 12 months? You really should stick with it, you're not far from stringing a game together and KSing it.

^what he said

If you can get 404k with litte to no practice, it wouldn't take you long to KS at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89466[/ATTACH]

I'm going to stick with a PB of 360K. I suspect I may be off, and though I'm not able to find anything to document the 360K, for some reason that number is sticking in my head. I've -never- made 400K, this much I know for sure! I would consider that a huge personal milestone.

While this submission only puts me at 61% to PB, the way I look at it, my current submission is higher than Barra's zero score entry. :)

@kane: if you're hitting 404K without much effort then yes, you are much closer to a KS than you may think. Keep at it! Personally, every 200Kish DK game I play is a grueling fight ending in the depletion of my gaming soul. After hitting this score above (many attempts), I'm remembering why I stray away from DK. :) I'll continue to make efforts towards this contest though...

well, i'm on the board anyway :)

Made it to L4. Not looking at anyone's methods yet, i can do most of the levels so far up to L4 just winging it, but I can see from L4 i'm going to need some better strategies than just running around blindly.final death came by flying barrel.

dk1.thumb.jpg.30402c9c2e0a94a5ffaa51f93a91bc89.jpg

^what he said

If you can get 404k with litte to no practice, it wouldn't take you long to KS at all.

@kane: if you're hitting 404K without much effort then yes, you are much closer to a KS than you may think. Keep at it!

I can usually get 400k all day long, but a 500k score is much more rare, and I've only ever been over 600k once. I'm sure I'll get to the KS one day...

about 5-7 rage quits then this score, best thing about this is I knocked off a mate's score he made a couple months back, he played once for 83k.

big admiiration fior you guys who can marathon this incredibly hard rom!

i am still winging it, and so far luck is playing as much a part as skill is, especially on the girder level. (if thats what it's called) i'm not having too much problems with the barrels or the pies, but the elevators and the girders is where I lose my lives.

the highlight of this game was that I pulled off a flying barrel hammer kill, right down near the bottom too, and on the run :cool: total accident.

really enjoying this so far though.

WP_20160220_23_12_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.061400c0d00af65a3a9747064f43b93e.jpg

(Thread sidetrack- Donkey Kong internet score upload daughter board for original PCBs - expensive but cool way to run a comp like this.)

http://shop.arcadehighscores.com/product_info.php?products_id=8

Back to regular programming...

Jimmy D

Very cool.

Too bad it doesn't have a USB interface on it to record video of the game, that would be useful. Of course having this plugged into your board to record games for submission to DKF/TG would probably DQ your score anyway :D

DKF are far more relaxed when it comes to submissions. TG however...

I would have thought if DKF say the score is legit then TG will follow now with their peer adjudication process. If you have someone like Wes (or Barra) saying the score is okay then the TG membership would automatically ok the score.

I would have thought if DKF say the score is legit then TG will follow now with their peer adjudication process. If you have someone like Wes (or Barra) saying the score is okay then the TG membership would automatically ok the score.

It is starting to become like this, where the same score that has been accepted by DKF is being submitted to TG, and the fellas over there are accepting it too disregarding TG's past rules or guidelines. A step in the right direction for sure.

Well I have gone from not being able to finish the first stage -f you barrels that roll down ladders- to getting to the moving platform stage. 20-25k is where I'm sitting. About 20 games in. Btw change my sick from 8-way to 4-way, so much better.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I've been trying a bit of point pressing on the level 1 barrel stage for a few extra points.

Running the boards normally gets me between 5000 - 6000 but I achieved my highest level 1 score today of 8100.

That got me wondering what you high scoring guys do on the early levels.

So @Barra @kane @Mameshane @Pelly @John73 - what's your strategy?

What kind of score do you aim for on level 1?

A "safe" strategy for 1-1 is to group barrels into sets of 2 near the 2 top left ladders, and then follow them down each girder, jumping for 300 points a piece. Do that a couple of times, then get a blue barrel with the bottom hammer, hopefully a fireball is around there also. Make your way up and grab the top hammer, grab it with around 600 on the timer. Can get ~10k this way if done right.

Don't stress too much about scoring plenty on 1-1. If you do, you'll find yourself restarting over and over for in reality is only a couple thousand points at most.

20k is considered a great level 1 score (ie 1-1 and 1-2) but anything over 15k is good.

1-2 can be very profitable if you can smash all of the fireballs over to the left side and jump next to Kong for 100 points each. The timer is so slow you get 500 points for every 200 of the timer.

I've been trying a bit of point pressing on the level 1 barrel stage for a few extra points.

Running the boards normally gets me between 5000 - 6000 but I achieved my highest level 1 score today of 8100.

That got me wondering what you high scoring guys do on the early levels.

So @Barra @kane @Mameshane @Pelly @John73 - what's your strategy?

What kind of score do you aim for on level 1?

Nice that you grouped me in with the "high scoring guys" :lol

I don't point press on 1-1, I do a bit of point pressing on the 1st and 2nd elevators as well as humping kong on the rivets - btbh I find it tedious and would just rather run boards. I am so hit an miss with the 3rd+ elevators that I could waste lots of time point pressing and then just as soon lose 3 lives on the friggin elevators, point pressing just makes a bad game go longer in this case :D

- - - Updated - - -

I will try and do a scoreboard update tomorrow after work. Been busy since Friday night, and only just got home tonight. Not many scores so far, so I figure everyone knows where each other is on the scoreboard at present.

Just so you can all stop panicking as to what sort of score I am going to post I'll give you an idea of what you are up against. So far my best score is 35,800. I can provide a photo to prove my score but figured that you would think anyone brave enough to admit that as their best score wouldn't be making it up.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Just so you can all stop panicking as to what sort of score I am going to post I'll give you an idea of what you are up against. So far my best score is 35,800. I can provide a photo to prove my score but figured that you would think anyone brave enough to admit that as their best score wouldn't be making it up.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

The learning curve from where you are, to 100,000 is probably not as much as you think. A lot of it is learning some very easy things to negotiate early on. Where do you find you are losing lives most at the moment? There is plenty of help that will get you a better score rather quickly if you decide that you want help. :)

• Super Moderator

Omg I'm thinking of a visit to the optometrist, I had five games yesterday and didn't make past 2-1

It's like 'Oh look here comes a barrel, steady steady....now jump.....bugger dead again' :blink:

How hard can it be! Stupid Monkey game :021:

point pressing

WHile looking at a John's Arcade video about a trip to Funspot (not the Aussie Arcade user John's Arcade, but a super loud and slightly annoying American dude known as John's Arcade) I stumbled onto a point pressing video on the tube and I've had a look at some of those techniques. Some of them look really incredible and challenging, like chasing barrels and jumping backwards over them, even worse chasing flaming barrels ! Major skill needed, not for noobs like me just trying to complete levels.

But some of the techniques, like jumping up and down next to Kong repeatedly.... :boring:

I've made it to L5 ! But at a less score than my current best, too much time wasted running around on the rivet level trying to survive. Man that gets stressful!!

Wouldn't sitting on one level jumping barrels be stats padding? Let's be honest boring and against the point too?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

even though it can be boring.

its an accepted part of the scoring as its limited by timer and the game has an end (killscreen)

so its not like u can sit there for hours in the one spot getting infinite amount of points.

after u get past level 4 its not really worth it unless u are trying for over a million points

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk