Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Head to Head Battle Pinny

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could use right screen to show half (the left hand side) of the playfield and vice versa. It might fill the screen better being shorter, not so long and narrow? It would mean getting another camera.

Yeah, I still think it would be hard with the ratio aspects. The bezel idea is still looking like the way to go. I have to calculate the actual height the camera will be mounted at, and set that up in the shed to see what it will take into shot. It's all part of the fun , mucking around and seeing if it will work out OK. ( the the missus has sussed that its costing a bit more than an EM at the moment :o )

Lightening Bolts anyone? I was thinking of putting in some lightening Bolt inserts around the magnets to bling up the playfied a bit more. The section of the playfield near the magnets and the flippers had no inserts in the area, and i thought it could do with a bit more bling. hey we all like the flashy lights right !

IMG_4143.thumb.jpg.559150367cac3072bca109beea33b0bb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Uber Magnet Driver Board Test for the Battle Pinny.

After a few failures...:realmad: I have finally come up with a solution to drive my magnets on the battle Pinny. This board can switch 50vdc at 625Watts !!!! So a comfortable 125Watts above the 500 I need. Yes I have built in a nice over design buffer ! But I wanted this board to be bullet proof. it now happily drives the magnet at full current for as long as I want. Also due to the high use of the magnets in this game, the magnets will have big heat sinks with nice fans on them to keep them cool.....well thats the plan anyway.... real life might stuff that up.:o

So the picture shows the magnet driver board, 8 x MOSFETS. These guys actually run of a nice TTL level 5vdc. This makes them nice and easy to interface to a processor or normal chip outputs....terrific ! Thx to @kress for his input on the design.

IMG_4307.thumb.jpg.06bcd0469b91438a803f08dbb2156e16.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the playfield design ! So now off to @nmercury and his merry men to cut out a MDF prototype. I have attached a picture of how I made the cad file for the lightening insert. I had to scan the insert, paste it into Autocad, then trace a wire frame around it and then scale it to correct size.....:o

So one pic shows the insert stuff, one pic shows the populated playfield, the other pic shows the playfield stripped of all its stuff and just the cut outs that have to be made ! Just another step on an epic journey ! but then another step closer to the finish ! Oh and before you all mention it, no I have NOT forgotten the cut out for the shooter rod ! Due to how the playfield hinges, the shooter rod does not hit it !

1198441003_PlayfieldCutout.thumb.jpg.4083202bb400c5d721128458f6f78aab.jpg290745051_LighteningInsert.thumb.jpg.10902a5a3bf4226729f7b187170fba03.jpg894308852_FullPlayfield.thumb.jpg.fd3b76cae1199ff3b46773c66ce274fa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the first prototype playfield has been made !

After lots of design work in Autocad, we finally with the help of @nmercury and Brad and Phil we have produced a prototype playfield for the battlepinny !

This is just made out of 6mm ply that has been CNC routed. We had lots of fun :realmad: trying to convert the Autocad design file into a suitable file for the CNC software to recognise and use....but we got there in the end.

The playfield was shown to the talented players of the Bayside Pinball Club at their comp last night. Lots of good discussions held with the clubs players on the good and possible bad points of the design, but overall GOOD :)

So now a test assembly and tweak of the location of items if required, then the next IMG_4418.thumb.jpg.c41b4c26ef3d3b3db53b0ee31d03f2d2.jpgchallenge of the artwork !

I have assembled the prototype playfield to see how everything lines up in the real world. Can you spot the playfield post that I will have to remove !

I will also have move a few posts around a bit for better clearances off the rubbers. But it pretty much works.

Now it may look small, but remember this is only one side of the machine, the other side is a mirror image of this playfield. I must admit that I like the look of the blue posts matched with the blue super band. Considering the whole theme of the pinball is Red VS Blue, with each side all Blueish and the other side all Reddish......So I think when completed it will look good.

So have a look, any comments welcome, doesn't mean that I will take any notice of them though :lol

playfield.thumb.jpg.57b785e5255104e0148ae26ddbddce17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What happens when the Playfield Magnet attacks the cooling fan on it !

Ok the problem I have is the magnets get very hot when used a lot in game play, so i thought I would cool them down by placing a fan on them and blowing a poop load of air on them ! Brilliant !:D

Watch the video of what happened ! The "click" sound you hear is the playfield magnet being energised.....The first attempt was with a low power fan, when that was an Epic fail, I did the next man thing and put on a fan with MORE POWER ! So watch the video on what happened then ! Oh well, back to the drawing board :realmad: Do you think I would get away with a 240VAC Computer fan? ( These where 12VDC computer Fans )

Testing an 240VAC fan to cool the magnets for the battle Pinny. the magnetic field thrown out by the magnet cannot stall the 240VAC fan !!!!! and with a bit of tape, it actually cools the magnet ! So some sort of success ! yay :)

The video shows the new fan in action, the "clack" sound is the magnet energising and to the right is a nifty temperature I got off ebay for bugger all $$$.

[video=youtube_share;CYlqns-bjOc]

Cooled down to 40 . Keeps temp stable at 40 or magnet heat gets hotter? Will have to have an eyeball of this cooling contraption. Sunday arvo for a beer and a brainstorm if you're up for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooled down to 40 . Keeps temp stable at 40 or magnet heat gets hotter? Will have to have an eyeball of this cooling contraption. Sunday arvo for a beer and a brainstorm if you're up for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well started at 20 , went to 50, cooled to 40......the longer you dont use the magnet the cooler it gets ! But its keeping the magnet away from the 85 degrees it hits when its own internal thermal shuts it down !

Time to assemble the prototype panels for the tower displays. these hold the TFT Screen, Scrolling Displays, speakers and big ass 7 segment displays. Thanks to @nmercury for cutting these out on the CNC thingy....Not bad for a first attempt,but will have to move a few holes around a little bit.

408164399_BlankDisplayPanel.thumb.jpg.5d0eed7d9733971c1b7f4f9e4fcb5080.jpg609847172_DisplayPanel.thumb.jpg.d829d87aba7a13df72d233039a7d3cdf.jpg1916605046_DisplayPanelwithFrontCover.thumb.jpg.cb6d41a08144fd5132c72ae909423416.jpg

I know now that you know the uncomfortable feeling you get when you resolve to blank out one third of a perfectly good LCD screen.

I know, I know, its terrible to hide all those nice pixels ! But the battle pinny would have to be 1mtr wide to get the correct resolution to fill the screen ! We would have to have arms like Gibbons to play the thing ! :lol

Got all my ball trough metal parts, so assembled it up on the prototype playfield and fired away ! All fitted perfectly and worked just dandy :) Gotta love it when a plan comes together :D Oh if anyone has a spare of the ball shooter coil and assembly of the same type they would like to sell me, that would be great ! I only have one, need one for the other end.....

1531761186_BallTroughMetalwork.thumb.jpg.3555b4d2f683b97d4373d3c6faa0da04.jpg

Got all my ball trough metal parts, so assembled it up on the prototype playfield and fired away ! All fitted perfectly and worked just dandy :) Gotta love it when a plan comes together :D Oh if anyone has a spare of the ball shooter coil and assembly of the same type they would like to sell me, that would be great ! I only have one, need one for the other end.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93568[/ATTACH]

I believe I have one of those you can have.I knew there was a reason for delaying your parcel delivery. It has a coil which matches the look of yours( just so you know I'm keeping the coil).

I believe I have one of those you can have.I knew there was a reason for delaying your parcel delivery. It has a coil which matches the look of yours( just so you know I'm keeping the coil).

Its all good Mr Kress, Jesder has one for me that I will pic up next week. But thanks for the offer:)

To Crop or not to Crop that is the question ? But what is the answer :unsure The pictures show the image of the playfield as it displays on the TFT. You will see that you can see off to the sides of the playfield. So do i make the cover plate hole smaller on the sides to cover this extra image, that really is of no interest? or Do I just leave it as is? I'm tending to close over the side images..... So what does the general public think ! And yes @kress, this IS pixel killing :cry

1045209474_TftDisplay.thumb.jpg.8f409b2347455d0aa5284e8f3087facc.jpg542269298_TFTinDisplay.thumb.JPG.c2e3888f77d5a678b5e5b5cc64fd3e0b.JPG