Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Are your pinball machines insured?

I'm interested on how many pinball owners have specific insurance cover for their collections. As a collection of machines is not covered on basic home cover, collections need to be specifically defined on a home policy or are not covered. Can we have this topic as a poll please.

• Super Moderator
Hi Pete & Woka, really you'd have a lot to loose if stolen or a fire destroyed them all. My collection is covered for the grand sum of $40 it's nothing more than an addition to your existing home policy.

If my house catches fire I'll fan the flames.

If I get flooded - my first priority will be in getting an ark.

If someone has the brass kahuna's to try and steal my machines, well, they've got big brass kahuna's and the best of luck to them in getting them out of the house.

I don't buy into in - knock wood.

I couldn't help myself and just got off the phone with NRMA, and was told, yet again, Pinball machine are considered a low risk item (due to size), and don't need to be specified and come under general insurance. The girl even noted this in a comment on my policy and has just emailed me a new copy :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

• Super Moderator

Yep, listed on the policy - didnt have to be but it didnt cost extra.

One day if there is a fire I suppose I'll just point to the dealer and ebay for market value......... :)

Im not saying that I agree with it but that's what I was told by my insurance company (not saying yours have the same policy), a few weeks ago after my home was robbed and my watch collection (among other things) was stolen.

As far as I'm concerned my watches and my pins are a collection but they don't agree with me.

That's incorrect, you can define your machines as a collection.

That's incorrect, you can define your machines as a collection.

Yes but they don't have to be. I have been through this with my insurer AFTER I was broken into and naturally they couldn't fit a pinball under their scrawny drug riddled arms but I digress.

Made very clear that because they can be sold INDIVIDUALLY they do not need to be specific. The next question asked was regarding condition. All that is required to value the machine higher are some photos or even an invoice (a what I said :lol). I showed him some pix of blinged machines compared to standard and they have no issue. I then asked 4 other major insurers and all said the same.

I now make sure I keep all electronic receipts in a pinball section to be able to prove value in the event of total loss.Mods really add up especially at the moment.

I do have pinball machines listed separately but not as collection.

I couldn't help myself and just got off the phone with NRMA, and was told, yet again, Pinball machine are considered a low risk item (due to size), and don't need to be specified and come under general insurance. The girl even noted this in a comment on my policy and has just emailed me a new copy :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

And what about FLOOD, FIRE, a car or truck coming thru your gameroom. Your being stiffed IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, listed on the policy - didnt have to be but it didnt cost extra.

One day if there is a fire I suppose I'll just point to the dealer and ebay for market value......... :)

Amazing there is such a difference between insurers, One should point out that if they are so big & heavy where's the risk to them?? FLOOD, FIRE & accident should be the issue.

No matter what you or they say before hand, it's only when you mske a claim that you find the true facts.

I deal with a broker it's in writing & therefore a CONTRACT, he is responsible for all claims. Maybe it's different when you have a farm policy due to the big machinery, fencing, livestock, farm house, sheds, barns & pinball machines. IMO

And what about FLOOD, FIRE, a car or truck coming thru your gameroom. Your being stiffed IMO.

How am I being stiffed??

Firstly, I don't have flood cover, because if it floods, then most of Qld will be underwater. Secondly, if my house burns down, I have contents insurance which covers my games.

Please explain? :unsure

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

I have mine individually listed on my home and contents insurance. @joker poker, is absolutely correct in that they don't need to be, but I am not taking the chance.

Agreed, mine are listed by title & value "Just in case" however this should be no different to a person that collect 60,70,80 LP records & has a sound room to play his music.

- - - Updated - - -

How am I being stiffed??

Firstly, I don't have flood cover, because if it floods, then most of Qld will be underwater. Secondly, if my house burns down, I have contents insurance which covers my games.

Please explain? :unsure

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

By the fact that they won't cover them in Queensland but do in other state. Maybe your issue is because your a commercial business & I'm a collector/user I just don't think it's fair or right.

The issue is what is classed as a collection and IF that collection is worth more sold as a collection. A pinball collection is NOT valued greater in a collection and can be sold off individually for no loss in price. Not being a smart arse but this is what my insurer broke it down to because I wanted to be sure and like most here. I don't trust the bastards and that's after every last thing was replaced here and all I needed half the time was a manual to say I actually owned it. Who keeps receipts after a warranty period. Not me but I did keep,all the manuals. Anyway it's a good question to ask.

By the fact that they won't cover them in Queensland but do in other state. Maybe your issue is because your a commercial business & I'm a collector/user I just don't think it's fair or right.

What on earth are you talking about?? I rang NRMA QUEENSLAND. My personal property has nothing to do with my business. What's not fair or right??

Just our two cents (Vic.) When we took out our insurance, the only items we had to specify where types that exceeded certain limits.

In our case and probably to @joker poker 's dismay ;) our console games, cd's, dvd's, hd-dvd's, ld's and bd's. The limit was $5k as a sub-total of the total amount of contents.

Pins only had to be included as part of the total.

Cheers

Comminsure advised that they don't need to be listed. Having worked in the insurance industry for many years I asked all the right questions, requested that the consultant confirm with a manager and leave detailed notes of our conversion. I then re-read the policy to make sure.

My recommendation would be to take detailed photos as evidence of ownership and condition which will help substantiate value in the event of a claim. Save this information on the cloud, e.g. dropbox or similar.

A key issue not mentioned so far is making sure your contents sum insured is sufficient. In the event of a total loss, e.g. fire, most people have their content significantly under insured, the result being that the payout won't cover everything you need to replace, including your pins.