Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball resource payment

Rob1966

It's a little known fact that you can actually setup an account at some banks in the US without being a resident (i.e. no Social Security number). How do I know? I've got one at Bank of America. I set it up a few years back. Now there's a few caveats for these "Non-resident accounts". 1. You need to go into a branch, so yes, you need to be in the US for the 20 minutes it takes to setup the account. Go with your passport of course. 2. You need a local contact address for their records. That can be a relative, friend, corporate HQ address (in my case), whatever. I guess it could be one of the various mail forwarding services as well. They really don't care what the address is, just as long as it's a local one they can punch into their computer system. 3. For the BoA case you need to leave a minimum amount in the account otherwise there are monthly fees. I think from memory it was $300, but it could've changed. The staff will advise you of that.

When I setup mine I walked out of the branch with a temporary Visa debit card linked to my account (that works all over the world in ATM's and at point of sale). I received the final card in the post a couple of weeks later. Once you have the account then doing local US transfers is (almost) as easy as it is here in Australia. They do have 2 different ways of directing money between US banks (Wire Transfer and ACH), and you need to ensure you use the right method based on the account details you get from the vendor (eg PBR provides ACH account details), otherwise shit goes sideways fast. How do I know...? :blink:

Anyway, it's obviously not something everyone can do, but it is a viable option. I've used it a few times to get stuff I just can't get here, like 27" GTB legs. For the record you can get 8 legs into a suitably large suitcase and not go over you luggage allowance. :)

Hopefully this is of some use to someone..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little known fact that you can actually setup an account at some banks in the US without being a resident (i.e. no Social Security number). How do I know? I've got one at Bank of America. I set it up a few years back. Now there's a few caveats for these "Non-resident accounts". 1. You need to go into a branch, so yes, you need to be in the US for the 20 minutes it takes to setup the account. Go with your passport of course. 2. You need a local contact address for their records. That can be a relative, friend, corporate HQ address (in my case), whatever. I guess it could be one of the various mail forwarding services as well. They really don't care what the address is, just as long as it's a local one they can punch into their computer system. 3. For the BoA case you need to leave a minimum amount in the account otherwise there are monthly fees. I think from memory it was $300, but it could've changed. The staff will advise you of that.

When I setup mine I walked out of the branch with a temporary Visa debit card linked to my account (that works all over the world in ATM's and at point of sale). I received the final card in the post a couple of weeks later. Once you have the account then doing local US transfers is (almost) as easy as it is here in Australia. They do have 2 different ways of directing money between US banks (Wire Transfer and ACH), and you need to ensure you use the right method based on the account details you get from the vendor (eg PBR provides ACH account details), otherwise shit goes sideways fast. How do I know...? :blink:

Anyway, it's obviously not something everyone can do, but it is a viable option. I've used it a few times to get stuff I just can't get here, like 27" GTB legs. For the record you can get 8 legs into a suitably large suitcase and not go over you luggage allowance. :)

Hopefully this is of some use to someone..

arrrg! where was this 2 weeks ago when i was in vegas :(

• 2 years later...
Has anyone used Transferwise, I was thinking of using it if I could next time I had a PBR order?

Massively cheaper than a regular bank transfer (0.5% to send USD) and no getting screwed on the exchange rate on top of it either.

Reviving an old thread as it is still relevant today.

I am just about to do a PBR order and don't like the idea of sending $1000 in the post. My last order was < $100 so it was no problem but with these larger amounts I am toey.

One of the guys at PBR suggested Transferwise and it does seem like a nice online payment solution. Can anyone who has used it recently for a PBR order comment on how the process went?

Hey Folks,

Yup, still a very relevant topic which is quite confusing at times for new folk to the Pin World or those with basic Pin knowledge trying to source parts.

I know this isn't viable for everyone but thought it may help some. I have ordered through Pinball Resource before via the guy I bought my Pin from who lives in America. Once mentioning the confusion about paying through PBR he offered to make the order on my behalf. He already had an account, he nominated my address to PBR and he gave me the amount to pay him via Paypal - paid with a beer bonus. It worked very easy so was just thinking that for some who have US pin mates just a thought or could be an option.

I made a bit of a thing about thank you, thank you and he laughed and said all I did was separate the order with your address, it wasn't a big thing at all. So that's all I can go on.

Stay cool and best always.

I have done 2 payments to PBR using transferwise, very easy with minimal fees and great exchanges rates.

I would recommend :)

So, ordering with PBR you get a WU money order and physically mail it to PBR. How does it work with TW? Do you still physically mail a slip or some such proof or money order it to PBR? Does TW do it for you in the US? Does PBR have a TW account?

How does this work? Beg my ignorance, haven’t joined with TW yet but I could buy stuff from PBR every day of the week if it were easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

So, ordering with PBR you get a WU money order and physically mail it to PBR. How does it work with TW? Do you still physically mail a slip or some such proof or money order it to PBR? Does TW do it for you in the US? Does PBR have a TW account?

How does this work? Beg my ignorance, haven’t joined with TW yet but I could buy stuff from PBR every day of the week if it were easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

When I have used WU it is all done online I have never had to physically mail anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just setup an account and add your money source i.e. a bank account or mastercard etc.

PBR have an account under The Pinball Resource and you just transfers the money to them.

Everything is done on-line and it takes about 2 days.

I just sent PBR an email letting them know I was going to use TW and they will send back their account details

Just sent payment through for my order. Total for the order was about $870, and the cost to make the transfer was $5.40. Pretty good price for the convenience of being able to do it simply online.

Apparently Transferwise also has a referral program. You can refer new members and they get a free transfer worth 500GBP. If anyone wants my referral link for a free transfer, let me know. Perhaps other members with accounts could also pass on their referrals? Being able to pay PB Resource with no fees is pretty damn good...

After reading the advice on here I just did my first transferwise payment to PBR.Have used concealed cash before with no issues but when it's a large amount it would be a bit dicey as others have mentioned.Was easy to do, just used debit visa which had lower fee than credit card.PBR came straight up as a payee once I typed in their email.Very easy once your set up.Not sure if my bank will put on a fee for the transfer or not, but it's definitely a lot easier than ordering USD, paying a fee for the order and then having to pay international postage with a bit of risk.