Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Aussie Arcade pin.

I'm in the early stages of creating this arcade based pin and need a few second hand parts if anyone can help?

I need 3 x pop bumper assemblies (just the under playfield bits), a yellow target like the one in the photo and 7 x wire rollover switch mechanisms.

I'm using a rough Hankin Shark playfield and some spare mechs from a scrapped Orbit1 keeping it mainly Aussie based.

It's going to be a Space Invaders + Defender + Pac man + Asteroids + Frogger + Donkey kong + Centipede based game, if I can fit it all in.

A very early attempt at fitting parts on the playfield.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/04/c320d6565e93212c7e9be2e6f3f448fa.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/04/d081a35b3cccfc954934753672e88f0d.jpg

I'm also looking for two mechs to launch the ball from the shooter lane and the lane on the left hand side in about the middle, where the recessed area is.

I'll be using Arduino boards to run each mech which sends a signal for scoring and sounds to a scoring board and sound board. Funny that..

I've ordered some displays and mosfet drivers on ebay and have a few of the mini Leonardo Arduino boards, a Uno and a Mega board in stock to start with.

I also need a blue MCA joystick if anyone has a spare, with or without switches is fine? (Supplied by @dragonlee) thanks Leo.

I'm willing to pay for these items if anyone can spare them.

The first item I want to start on are the pop bumpers that will have a mini oled display in the cap showing animated space invaders characters that change to the explosion sprite when the bumper has been hit. I'm thinking of adding a feature that'll display the Space Invaders UFO at random times too that will increase the score when hit. Luckily there are three bumpers one for each of the space invaders characters and they'll score as per the arcade game as will the ufo. I'm thinking of getting these caps

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/04/4f3ca6f5f4f3417435092d7569a93f50.jpg

and masking the center for the display and painting them chrome to look like a ufo? I might even put leds around the rim?

Well that's where I'm planning on starting. I've been writing game rules down but haven't finalised anything yet.

This is going to be a long term project, I hope it'll be fun to play and build.

Trev.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Edited by BIG Trev

Cool. Though I thought you meant Aussie Arcade as in related to the forum. I would have suggested incorporating popcorn and a seagull for starters :cool:

I did mean that. If it's ok with the gang?

In so much as being arcade themed under the Aussie arcade banner.

I'm thinking of adding drink holders!

Edited by BIG Trev
Clarification

Cool. Though I thought you meant Aussie Arcade as in related to the forum. I would have suggested incorporating popcorn and a seagull for starters :cool:

"Infighting multiball" and "finger pointing frenzy" could be two of the features...

and a shaker motor so large it shakes some ****ing sense into you

I think a bit of clarification is needed here. It's proposed as an Arcade themed machine not a forum themed one.

There will be pac man ghost targets with inserts that change color. An asteroid hyperspace launcher. Frogger lane switches at the top to get the frog home. Joystick controls. Donkey kong slingshots. Centipede bonus lights. Space invaders pop bumpers. Pac Man horse shoe switches. Ghost timer target. Defender drop targets all with sound effects and visual effects.

sounds like an interesting project im keen to see how it pans out , how are you going to do all the graphics eg playfield and backglass?.

Not sure yet. I'm no artist but I'm going to use sprite sheets I've found online for some of it. I'm thinking of sanding down the playfield and painting it black. I'll then put water slide transfers on and clear over the top. I'm not sure how the water slide transfers will go on the black?

For the backglass I'm thinking of making it look like a crt arcade screen with the Aussie Arcade logo across the top (marquee) and cabinet artwork down the sides of the bezel. It'll probably be lexan not glass. I don't quite know what to put on the pseudo screen but I've bought some 8 x 8 led displays to play around with so it may have a pixel / dmd look to it.

I want to use quite a few either oled, dmd or lcd displays on the playfield alongside the standard led lighting.

Have a look at this, they use 8 X 8 matrix and do a Nice space invaders on it.

[url="https://brainy-bits.com/tutorials/how-to-control-max7219-led-matrix/

I made one up with some cheap as chips displays off ebay :D

Nice. I've bookmarked it for later reference. I'm going to use a white oled display for the bumpers.

The Spacies one thegrunta mentioned would look pretty cool in a bumper - the leds are nice and bright and the animation is very identifiable and the size is just about bang on right imo. Would look better than oled - again imo. I've been playing with these for a pf wall hanging and made the Spacies one when mucking around with it.

The Spacies one thegrunta mentioned would look pretty cool in a bumper - the leds are nice and bright and the animation is very identifiable and the size is just about bang on right imo. Would look better than oled - again imo. I've been playing with these for a pf wall hanging and made the Spacies one when mucking around with it.

I've got oleds and leds on order so I'll try them both. I was thinking of using the leds in the backbox for scoring and special effects. I might even get some rgb 8 x 8 led displays to play with.

Cheers Trev

What plastic is best suited to make targets. Would it be a nylon or lexan? I'm thinking of shining the light from an led through it to change its colour so I'm leaning towards lexan? Any ideas?

Cheers Trev