Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Virtual Pinball vs Real Pinball

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm a noob when it comes to Virtual Pinball. Never played one, never seen one. I'm gonna start to read up on what's involved in making one.

If a similar thread/s exists, please point me to it.

I own 2 real pinball machines and have played many out there so know what a real pinball feels like. What I would like to know is if you own a real pin and a virtual pin, what's the comparison? I'd especially like to know the comparison between your real machine and the vp version if you have both.

Again, as I'm a noob, if this has been discussed already, please point me to the thread/s.

Cheers

What kind of a comparison are you after, I mean they're both very different. Each setup is different, and each table is different, ie some are reproduced very well and others are rubbish.

Here are a couple photos of my real demo man vs the virtual.

uploadfromtaptalk1436348400374.thumb.jpg.a2f272396c77a8d4602967400c222de3.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436348574453.thumb.jpg.bd8a203eeb0fc579c58c3f4e3ba089f7.jpg

As you can see, they look similar but the virtual lacks depth and perspective. It also plays different to my real version as well.

Having said that, this is probably one of the lower end reproductions so I've included a photo of a newer stern machine.

uploadfromtaptalk1436348787444.thumb.jpg.431b94209e5ec4b33780c25b570ff74b.jpg

Looks beautiful but again plays different to the real deal.

End of day virtual is a computer game and has its place for learning rules on tables or for just mucking about. They by no means replace a real machine. They aren't cheap to build either.

I took a few videos to post up here to highlight the differences but not sure how to upload them.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

It's like comparing driving a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche in real life vs playing Gran Turismo/Forza Horizon etc......You get roughly the same effect at a fraction of the cost. No it's not the same in many areas but pretty close.

You can play hundreds of pinball tables without outlaying the cash and get a feel for them.

Thanks BananaBoat. That's basically the comparison explanation I was after.

I was also sort of getting at are they as immersive compared to a real table sort of thing. Eg when I play TZ on my ps3 on Pinball Arcade, it's not the same as playing it on my machine cause I'm not standing up pressing flippers. With VP at least you've got that. In my other post I asked about using 3D tv's. With that it would add some depth like you're looking inside a real machine with glass over it.

As for price, I see it this way. There are so many machines I want to own, but I dont' have 1) the money for them and 2) the room. This way I might spend a bit making (or buying one) for the price of one machine but have heaps of games on there to choose from and play. Even if they're crap, it shouldn't be that different?? At least better than playing on a gaming console with a controller. :unsure

The experience also depends on feedback devices. I use a real DMD, real knocker, Siemens contactors and plan on using a shaker motor down the road as well. This is a $5-$6k build roughly so you want to be sure this is something you want to do.

You can't beat the real deal

For the price of a Virtual Pin you can buy a real Pin and maybe trade it every so often for variety.

But i gotta say building a VPin is a fantastic,fun and rewarding experience..

Do It!! Mine doesn't have what BananaBoats has and it cost me over $3k

It's like comparing driving a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche in real life vs playing Gran Turismo/Forza Horizon etc......You get roughly the same effect at a fraction of the cost. No it's not the same in many areas but pretty close.

I own a racing rig and owned a sports car for 20 years (no not ferrari/lambo etc), and there's no way I compare it to driving the real thing. Without the inertia it's totally different.

Is that inertial feeling needed in vp? I'm pretty rough when playing real pinball. Doesn't VP have nudge effects and does it make any difference? Again, I know sweet FA when it comes to VP.

- - - Updated - - -

The experience also depends on feedback devices. I use a real DMD, real knocker, Siemens contactors and plan on using a shaker motor down the road as well. This is a $5-$6k build roughly so you want to be sure this is something you want to do.

Thanks for that. You asnwered my question while I was typing it :)

Looks beautiful but again plays different to the real deal.

End of day virtual is a computer game and has its place for learning rules on tables or for just mucking about. They by no means replace a real machine. They aren't cheap to build either.

I took a few videos to post up here to highlight the differences but not sure how to upload them.

just upolad them youtube then link them here.

here's a fairly shaky vid of my playing Roller Disco on my pincab with a cam mounted on my head. excuse my playing.

like others have said, virtual in no way replaces how good a real pinball is. plus vp tables play easier i think than the real article. virtual nudging also can break games a bit.

having a pincab though has ame llowed to play and learn an unlimited amount of tables and revisit all my childhood faves. and that's pretty cool, a basic build can be done for approx cost of one decent SS title.

but it is a massive learning curve and countless hours to get it done. but oh so worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjz8ePNuqCw

just upolad them youtube then link them here.

here's a fairly shaky vid of my playing Roller Disco on my pincab with a cam mounted on my head. excuse my playing.

like others have said, virtual in no way replaces how good a real pinball is. plus vp tables play easier i think than the real article. virtual nudging also can break games a bit.

having a pincab though has ame llowed to play and learn an unlimited amount of tables and revisit all my childhood faves. and that's pretty cool, a basic build can be done for approx cost of one decent SS title.

but it is a massive learning curve and countless hours to get it done. but oh so worth it.

Kill the ball trails bro, LOL.

I'll see what I can do about the vids

here's a fairly shaky vid of my playing Roller Disco on my pincab with a cam mounted on my head.

Here's how much of a noob I am to VP. If you didn't tell me that was a VP, I would have thought that is the nicest EM I've ever seen and that guy really loves his machine. He keeps it so clean :lol

Even though it's not the same as you've all stated, I think I'd still enjoy it.

Edited by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

Here is a vid of my Future Pinball with PS3 Cam for head tracking.. hand to play with 1 hand and its shaky soz

I also have Visual Pinball on this cab

I'm not to sure if anyone built a Cab with a 3D tv playfield?? yet to see one anyway

I have some input lag compared to real machine and others have also complained about it too, however others don't seem to complain. Your mind gradually makes allowances for the lag

With a racing rig and a sports car I think you would get my analogy. As said above you can add nudges, etc but a computer cannot fully replicate the nuances that a true silverball would have ie spin, soft rubbers, weak flippers or pop bumpers (real world stuff).

Just my opinion but they are good bang for bucks when playing with family or friends but for a true pinhead would not cut the mustard.

Either way I'm sure that there are plenty on here who can help set it up and you will more than likely enjoy the experience.

Good luck

Edited by camaro
spelling fixed

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm a noob when it comes to Virtual Pinball. Never played one, never seen one. I'm gonna start to read up on what's involved in making one.

If a similar thread/s exists, please point me to it.

I own 2 real pinball machines and have played many out there so know what a real pinball feels like. What I would like to know is if you own a real pin and a virtual pin, what's the comparison? I'd especially like to know the comparison between your real machine and the vp version if you have both.

Again, as I'm a noob, if this has been discussed already, please point me to the thread/s.

Cheers

Hi Brownish,

I have a virtual pin here at the moment and you're more than welcome to come and check it out. It's really the only way to find out, as they represent different things to different people!

Drop me a line if you want to visit and have a look/play.

With a racing rig and a sports car I think you would get my analogy. As said above you can add nudges, etc but a computer cannot fully replicate the nuances that a true silverball would have ie spin, soft rubbers, weak flippers or pop bumpers (real world stuff).

Just my opinion but they are good bang for bucks when playing with family or friends but for a true pinhead would not cut the mustard.

Vpin Physmod5 does replicate ball spin. Standard VP also replicates weak flippers, weak pop bumpers, or how an aged EM would play. yep, real world stuff. Everything about it how a table plays is endlessly customisable according to the table author, including table wear, weak mechanics, table slope, etc. If you're an author trying to emulate an old flaky EM - you can do it. Or if you load a table and don't think it plays realistically, you can mod it without having to know any coding.

For a true pinhead it wouldn't cut the mustard ? Depends on how open minded you are. If you set out to say bah, this is a computer, it's not a real ball, yeah, you're not going to enjoy it. I enjoy playing real pinball, and I also enjoy Vpin, it lets me play and learn hundreds of tables with a pinball feel where you have the same mind-body connection of standing at a pinball machine and playing. I think 'suspension of disbelief' comes into it too. I can get so engrossed in playing sometimes that the fact I am not playing a 'real' machine isn't even part of the equation. You can get into the zone and just enjoy the thing hugely.

@The Brownish Bomber - do it, you wont regret it. They are heaps of fun. and @OzStick is a perfect person to take you through it all.

And now, another shithouse, shaky video of me playing Joker Poker, this time with my head at a weird angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7W6WppgzRc

Vpin Physmod5 does replicate ball spin. Standard VP also replicates weak flippers, weak pop bumpers, or how an aged EM would play. yep, real world stuff. Everything about it how a table plays is endlessly customisable according to the table author, including table wear, weak mechanics, table slope, etc. If you're an author trying to emulate an old flaky EM - you can do it. Or if you load a table and don't think it plays realistically, you can mod it without having to know any coding.

I'm listening...

I enjoy playing real pinball, and I also enjoy Vpin, it lets me play and learn hundreds of tables

How can you not like hundreds of tables?

... it lets me play and learn hundreds of tables with a pinball feel where you have the same mind-body connection of standing at a pinball machine and playing. ..... I can get so engrossed in playing sometimes that the fact I am not playing a 'real' machine isn't even part of the equation.

This is what I was wondering!! And hoping I'd hear!!

@The Brownish Bomber - do it, you wont regret it. They are heaps of fun. and @OzStick is a perfect person to take you through it all.

Baby steps and yes I'll be giving OzStick a yell.

I think I may be doing this with a mate :unsure With his pinball tech skills and my IT skills this could be doable.