Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Velodyne 10" Sub Broken (Randwick)

Have a Velodyne home theater sub from 2002 that I bought for my pins recently but found it doesn't work. A repairer claimed the amp and input don't work and quoted $300 to fix it. It's going in the dumpster on Sunday 24th May if no one takes it. The speaker cone is fine. About 2/3 of the screws in the back weren't replaced by the repairer.

Edit. The light comes on at the back when powered up. There is no "boop" sound from the speaker when it's powered on. None of the inputs worked - line in or speaker wire. A visual inspection of the internal components didn't reveal anything obvious.

[ATTACH]78226[/ATTACH][ATTACH]78227[/ATTACH]

Edited by 1.21 Gigawatts

Sounds like a top notch repairer - not sure I'd trust his advice. Sounds like he couldn't be bothered.

I'd take it if you were closer. It could be something quite minor.

If you wanted to take the amp out you could check for any obvious electrical issues on the PCB. Maybe post a couple of high res pics.

I've had a few amps to look at (car and home) which have only require a fuse replacement. Not saying that is what is happening here, but worth a look? Often there's fuses or fusible links on the input side of the signal as well as the output side.

Yes, the old 'it only needs a fuse' is sometimes true! :cool:

Mike.

Most of these "generic" Chinese amps use discreet diodes in the power supply section and the soldering leaves a lot to be desired. I have fixed a couple of these in minutes with a soldering iron and a meter.

Have a Velodyne home theater sub from 2002 that I bought for my pins recently but found it doesn't work. A repairer claimed the amp and input don't work and quoted $300 to fix it. It's going in the dumpster on Sunday 24th May if no one takes it. The speaker cone is fine. About 2/3 of the screws in the back weren't replaced by the repairer.

[ATTACH]78226[/ATTACH][ATTACH]78227[/ATTACH]

Hmm wonder how much shipped to Brissy... prob $$$..heavy thing!

Yeah top notch brand! These things have got some good kick to them!

does it being made in China make it a generic amp though :)

You would be surprised......the companies that simply OEM a generic amp (etc etc etc) and live off the "good" name they have built.

I don't know for certain if that is the case here but my bet is it will be.

Sounds like a top notch repairer - not sure I'd trust his advice. Sounds like he couldn't be bothered.

I'd take it if you were closer. It could be something quite minor.

If you wanted to take the amp out you could check for any obvious electrical issues on the PCB. Maybe post a couple of high res pics.

I've had a few amps to look at (car and home) which have only require a fuse replacement. Not saying that is what is happening here, but worth a look? Often there's fuses or fusible links on the input side of the signal as well as the output side.

Yes, the old 'it only needs a fuse' is sometimes true! :cool:

Mike.

I did check the fuse and it was okay. I paid him $30 to look at it so can only trust his assessment. I think he just tested continuity on different parts of the boards and the amp and input were the main suspects.

Most of these "generic" Chinese amps use discreet diodes in the power supply section and the soldering leaves a lot to be desired. I have fixed a couple of these in minutes with a soldering iron and a meter.

Yep it's made in China. Would be good for someone if an easy fix but the tech didn't think so. He is Chinese. [emoji58]

Probably not worth your hassle for the cost.

Just another thought - Jaycar sells generic amps for building home theatre subs.

I don't know the price (it would be online) but if the speaker cone and cabinets are all ok, it could be an option?

Mike.

Some subs use ridiculously complicated switch-mode power supplies and class D amplifiers. Almost to the point you can't tell where the power supply ends and the amplifier starts.

A lot of the time the only viable repair possibility is module replacement (the whole rear panel assembly). Sometimes they are often not available even from the big names.

Just another thought - Jaycar sells generic amps for building home theatre subs.

I don't know the price (it would be online) but if the speaker cone and cabinets are all ok, it could be an option?

Mike.

Could work for someone happy to tinker. It's a big unit and would surely pump out the base if it worked. Could also be a keeper for someone willing to wait for another one with good electronics and a stuffed speaker and make one good one from two broken ones.

i'm not having too much luck mate, and I don't want to mess you around!

give me till Friday if you can otherwise it might be destined for the bin

No worries. @Malone seemed willing to help out in the other thread you posted. He may live around here and I could drop it off if he does.

[emoji298]️

• 5 months later...