IGNORED

JAMMA board from Raspberry PI

dee2eR

Does the genesis folder need a system rom?

No. Only the CD add on.

If you're having trouble with the Genesis rom folder it may be worth trying the MegaDrive one as I use it. I don't think there's any difference but maybe I broke something...

Otherwise if you're having rom torubles it's often spaces in the file names. Replacing spaces with underscores will fix it if that's the issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ARpiCADE 4.3.1 update now available in the 4.3 thread linked in my previous post.

Big improvement to Naomi, Atomiswave and CPS3 at 240p. Plus config tweaks.

I flashed the 4.2 image but this is as far as my boot gets. I also need to change the resolution to vertical. Any ideas?

Looks like Attract-Mode is segfaulting for some reason... No idea why offhand. May just be bad luck flashing it (although normally there'd be some sort of error notification when flashing if that were the case), could be indicative of a dud SD card, if you have more trouble with it I'd try another one.

Even if it worked though, grab 4.3 - it's a huge improvement. Once you're up and running vertical can be set from the service menu, there's rol and ror options so if it's upside down first attempt try the other one.

EDIT: what Pi version are you using? Not sure if it will have anything to do with it but I'm curious...

Looks like Attract-Mode is segfaulting for some reason... No idea why offhand. May just be bad luck flashing it (although normally there'd be some sort of error notification when flashing if that were the case), could be indicative of a dud SD card, if you have more trouble with it I'd try another one.

Even if it worked though, grab 4.3 - it's a huge improvement. Once you're up and running vertical can be set from the service menu, there's rol and ror options so if it's upside down first attempt try the other one.

EDIT: what Pi version are you using? Not sure if it will have anything to do with it but I'm curious...

I'm up and running but can't seem to set it to vertical. The menu/attract mode is either upside down or horizontal. The games are playing horizontal.

There used to be an entry in the config.txt like below but that is gone now

# Extra settings for ARpiCADE do not unhash these settings to use them

# Really, DO NOT UNHASH THESE SETTINGS they are not RPi boot settings and need to

# be hashed out exactly as is to work properly.

# to set vertically mounted monitor make this =1 but LEAVE THE LINE HASHED OUT

# just add (or remove) the 1

#monitor_mount=1

I'm up and running but can't seem to set it to vertical. The menu/attract mode is either upside down or horizontal. The games are playing horizontal.

There used to be an entry in the config.txt like below but that is gone now

# Extra settings for ARpiCADE do not unhash these settings to use them

# Really, DO NOT UNHASH THESE SETTINGS they are not RPi boot settings and need to

# be hashed out exactly as is to work properly.

# to set vertically mounted monitor make this =1 but LEAVE THE LINE HASHED OUT

# just add (or remove) the 1

#monitor_mount=1

Yeah I've changed the way it works on Pi4 due to some differences. It now makes an empty textfile instead of an extra setting in config.txt The rotation options have been separated from the resolution options. It also has dedicated each way options as the config.txt flip screen trick used on earlier Pis doesn't work right on Pi4. It's now best to set rotation from the service menu (F4 or 'service' button, not the menu that loads if you press tab or 'test' - that's Attract-Modes options menu - if you rotated from there your description of whats happening makes more sense).

I can't replicate the rotation issue you're having here. From the service menu vertical -ror flips one way ('top' of CRT on the left side) and vertical -rol flips the other ('top' of CRT on right side).

What MAME version is playing horizontal?

• 2 weeks later...

It should be, for 2 stick games you shoudl be able to set the sticks to be left and right joysticks using MAMEs menus.

Whats happening, what game etc? I can look into it if you need me to.

It should be, for 2 stick games you shoudl be able to set the sticks to be left and right joysticks using MAMEs menus.

Whats happening, what game etc? I can look into it if you need me to.

Thanks for your reply @dee2eR

I haven’t tried to set the controls yet but I am interested in games like Crazy Climber, Karate Champ, Vindicators, Fire Trap & Assault. I’ll try setting the controls for 1 game first, if I fail I might need your assistance :D

Cheers,

Matthew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished prototyping a smaller, sleeker, more streamlined RaspberryJAMMA, the RaspberryJAMMA mini... perfect for todays modern high res JAMMA cab about town.

Gone are the days of low res video sections left unused. No more unsightly ribbon cable and kick harness. No weird add-on (32x-like, ewww) four player board support.

Six buttons available on the JAMMA edge, amplified mono audio, DAC for VGA optional.

Lower price (TBD). Still made in Australia.

Coming soon.

2efe1665d4402f13c142c443ca19accf.thumb.jpg.94ce910bc9a1ad28c9e58077e9256755.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Look forward to the RaspberryJAMMA mini. Any further news / updates on the unit / release date?

Will it be pi4 compatible and will it work in jamna cabs that have a ctr monitor?

regards D

RaspberryJAMMA mini is now available. $80 without DAC (will only be able to output HDMI or DVI video, audio needs to be redirected in the software to the RPi analog output to use amplified JAMMA mono), $100 with a DAC. (Aussie dollars)

Unlike the proto the final production version has hard gold plating.

The RJ mini hardware supports any Pi version with 40pin GPIO, although the current versions of the ARpiCADE software only support Pi2 or 3 variations (ARpiCADE 3.X.1) and Pi4s (ARpiCADE 4.3.1).

It's high res only but high res CRT should work fine using VGA.

RaspberryJAMMA_mini_final.thumb.JPG.648915e95c5fbad1d84055c57d92713b.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks dee2eR. I have a old hankin 21 inch table top arcade cabinet, which has the original monitor. I believe the monitor is not hi res.

Is there any option(s) using the RaspberryJAMMA mini on my machine?

Regards D

@Doosh no the RaspberryJAMMA mini probably isn't what you want then as it has nothing onboard for low res video.

The regular RaspberryJAMMA (v3) would work perfectly for your Hankin, it has no problems with CRTs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 9:59 PM, dee2eR said:

@Doosh no the RaspberryJAMMA mini probably isn't what you want then as it has nothing onboard for low res video.

The regular RaspberryJAMMA (v3) would work perfectly for your Hankin, it has no problems with CRTs.

Thanks dee2eR for the reply. I was hoping for a Pi4, as it is more powerful and I understand it will run games that the Pi3 could not.

Do you plan (sometime) to develop a Pi4 version which will work on CRTS?

Regards

D

The RaspberryJAMMA v3 works fine on Pi4 with a CRT.  Actually any non-mini version of RaspberryJAMMA will work, all you need is a HDMI to HDMI micro adaptor to convert an older board OR you can use a DAC with a micro HDMI lead. 

The only trick is to use the Pi4 version of ARpiCADE.

Long story short, I have boards in stock that will do what you want...

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/08/2021 at 3:54 AM, dee2eR said:

The RaspberryJAMMA v3 works fine on Pi4 with a CRT.  Actually any non-mini version of RaspberryJAMMA will work, all you need is a HDMI to HDMI micro adaptor to convert an older board OR you can use a DAC with a micro HDMI lead. 

The only trick is to use the Pi4 version of ARpiCADE.

Long story short, I have boards in stock that will do what you want...

Yup I’m using a jamma v3 Pi4 with a CRT  I use it for Roms not supported on BitKit or ArcadeSD   Or JROK  

I have one vertical and one horizontal which allows for play of most classic games