Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Advisable to update VP version?

Big Giant Head

Question

Hey hey,

Currently got VP 912 or 913 running (I forget which one) and I notice some tables say they need 9.2.1 to run (such as Austin Powers). I also notice that there are a few different versions around on VP Forums!

So, the question is: Is it worth updating my version? If so, what sort of headaches do I have to look forward to? I know it shouldn't impact Hyperpin too much except for altering the xml to reflect the correct exe name but my concern is that it will bugger existing tables or something else that I haven't thought of such as B2S/UVP stuff.

I've just finished rebuilding my cab and have 47 tables running happily without any issues so I'd hate to bork that!

Any advice appreciated.

FWIW I have a full cab with 3 screens and the PC is a bit of a beast.

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• Administrators

Check that its looking for the DB2S version and not the vpinball version. It's just swapping the comment in the script. I can look it up it your stuck, can't quite remember the full line.

Brad

Check that its looking for the DB2S version and not the vpinball version. It's just swapping the comment in the script. I can look it up it your stuck, can't quite remember the full line.

Brad

Yeh I downloaded the DB2S as well, even uncommented the DB2S line and commented the VPinMAME line but no difference. Not sure what is going on.

Any benefit of upgrading to windows 7 in regards to VP? I'm running XP with VP 9.9 and no issues at all.

I'm also in the process of updating my tables as some of the VP9 updates are really cool

If you want to run more than 4GB of RAM then Windows 7 would be a good idea, otherwise I don't know of any other real benefits. I don't know if you'd still have to run it in compatability mode (XP SP3), I've not changed mine in that respect, it's all working nicely so I'm not going to start fiddling too much lol.

• Administrators

I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit last weekend so I could use the full 4gig that was in there. Nothing else needed to change to run it except some general installs like dot net etc.

Brad

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh I downloaded the DB2S as well, even uncommented the DB2S line and commented the VPinMAME line but no difference. Not sure what is going on.

When I get a chance on the weekend I'll run through what I did to get mine going and post it here for you if you haven't worked it out yet.

I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit last weekend so I could use the full 4gig that was in there. Nothing else needed to change to run it except some general installs like dot net etc.

Brad

- - - Updated - - -

When I get a chance on the weekend I'll run through what I did to get mine going and post it here for you if you haven't worked it out yet.

I'd appreciate that Brad! I will prevail! Eventually.

Just a heads up that the latest nVidia drivers mess about with the DMD position which is stupid. No performance improvements so don't bother with it.

Also I discovered something this morning. My Simpsons Pinball Party was being uber stuttery which is strange given I have heaps of power in the PC but after some tinkering I found disabling the db2s backglass and just using the VPinMAME one, the stutter is totally gone. Db2s is great but it's really a table by table proposition, some cause HP to lose focus on exit, some just play funny buggers while others are fine! Monster Bash PC Killer version for instance runs silky smooth even with db2s. Go figure.

Just thought I'd mention these things for those with stutter issues or wondering about the latest nVidia drivers.

Just a heads up that the latest nVidia drivers mess about with the DMD position which is stupid. No performance improvements so don't bother with it.

Also I discovered something this morning. My Simpsons Pinball Party was being uber stuttery which is strange given I have heaps of power in the PC but after some tinkering I found disabling the db2s backglass and just using the VPinMAME one, the stutter is totally gone. Db2s is great but it's really a table by table proposition, some cause HP to lose focus on exit, some just play funny buggers while others are fine! Monster Bash PC Killer version for instance runs silky smooth even with db2s. Go figure.

Just thought I'd mention these things for those with stutter issues or wondering about the latest nVidia drivers.

Thanks for the info. When you say messes with the DMD position what do you mean?? So which driver are you running for your NVIDA card then?

Thanks for the info. When you say messes with the DMD position what do you mean?? So which driver are you running for your NVIDA card then?

It changed the size and position of the DMDs, like made them smaller and not quite in the right place. They were still visible but were off enough to annoy the bejeesus out of me. If there had been some wonderful boost in performance then I would have gone with it and adjusted them but I couldn't see any difference in gameplay. I'm using 335.XX, the latest is 337.XX.

While I was trying to solve the Simpsons stutter I was flicking different options on and off in VP and when I took anti alias ball off, the ball was reflected onto the table but so much so that it was like having 2 balls on top of each other. Weird.

I also had a look at Force anisotropic filtering and FXAA(?) but i couldn't see any difference on the tables so I'll leave them off.

On another topic I'm wondering if I there's any way to have a duplicate DMD on the Cirqus Voltaire table, you know how there is an area for it there?