Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Where do old Pinball Machines go to die?

i can remember watching trucks being loaded with mechanical pinball machines around 1980 that were on their way to the dump..there were hundreds in storage around that time..i can think back of a place on parramatta road that had a warehouse full of them..all went to the dump..that was just one place, there were plenty more.

in saying that the same that can be said for nearly everything from that era..

that for me is the best part of the hobby today, finding old games that haven't even been plugged in since at least 1975..then pulling them all apart and rebuilding them..what an awesome feeling it is seeing them all lit up again and being able to play.

best hobby in the world!

i can remember watching trucks being loaded with mechanical pinball machines around 1980 that were on their way to the dump..there were hundreds in storage around that time..i can think back of a place on parramatta road that had a warehouse full of them..all went to the dump..that was just one place, there were plenty more.

It's sad for me to admit that I was one of the workers loading up those old machines and taking them to the tip - they were of no value and nobody wanted them......

Not quite in the same league .. but the old Commodore Vic 20 and 64 computers of that era were the 'bees knees' but when technology changed I saw so many mates throw them in the bin -- you could go to the dump and see them (back in the days when you could walk amongst the rubbish as a kid :)). Same as the handheld games of that era. I'm so glad I never binned anything from that time of growing up, great memories and history. I hope those beautiful old girls of the pinball world stay safe for as long as they can.

It's sad for me to admit that I was one of the workers loading up those old machines and taking them to the tip - they were of no value and nobody wanted them......

Don't worry, your making up for it now by making news ones

Don't worry, your making up for it now by making news ones
Out with the old, in with the new. If a TAG pin was built back in the 70's there would be one here in Jeffs room yonks ago but I'm looking forward to TAG with all the new technology available now.

Sold my Atari 2600 with a bucket load of games, case,paddles etc about 10 yrs ago for $60 - time to give myself an upper-cut:blink:

Late 90's. Williams shuts the doors. New DM display cost around $450 plus postage (US postage was a killer then and took forever), if you could get one. Used Adams or Fishtales etc cost around $550 - $650. Simple

Buy an Adams for the display, rip the play field out and toss it on the pile with the rest. rip the boards out. rest goes to the tip.

Cant see why it would have been any different with the older stuff.

nobody cared back then mike so will let you off the hook this time (all good)..maybe because there were so many of them around? that was just the done thing back then..

can remember another time walking into an old arcade in port macquarie in 1985..the op had just pulled all his arcade games out of storage, there were approx 50 games from the 1940/50s era there..all awaiting the same fate..land fill at port macquarie dump..i bought 2 of those game for $50 each..though this one kinda has a happy ending because i sold an exhibit six shooter to michael shalhoub in 1986 and now alan taite owns in so one day it will be fully restored and on display.

I remember walking into the big takeaway store in Loxton in the early 80's. They had the shop area next to it full of pins and video games (now a video hire store by the looks of it). I gave the pins little attention as I was still "on the dark side", fixated with the video games. I recon about 15 pins, 5 vids. No doubt all gone to the local tip.

:(

loxton.thumb.jpg.06bb1043578828a63c7b2b57c128c667.jpg

I've posted ads in local papers in the country areas of SA now and again in the hope of finding a few vids/pins (or a lot) being hoarded. Seems supplies are tapped out.

God help us if this ever happens with the old tube TV's, analogue and 13 inch digital LCD monitors that are now littering our nature strips! :D

We'll all be saying that we remember them being left as refuse on our roads - and absolutely no-one wanted them.

God help us if this ever happens with the old tube TV's, analogue and 13 inch digital LCD monitors that are now littering our nature strips! :D

We'll all be saying that we remember them being left as refuse on our roads - and absolutely no-one wanted them.

That's EXACTLY what will happen and faster than you may think. Another two years tops IMO.

AS far as operators were concerned, if a machine did not make money, then either sell it or if it was not working, to the tip it went

most Gottlieb sys1 were dumped because they were repairable

a customer of mine was an operator from the 70/80's and will tell you of the KISS and Playboys that were sent tot he dump once newer games came along

Sold my Atari 2600 with a bucket load of games, case,paddles etc about 10 yrs ago for $60 - time to give myself an upper-cut:blink:

Ouch Jeff. This is where hindsight can be a beautiful thing! The good ole' 2600 - I was watching a great documentary on the game programmers of those days. Genius blokes working with just a few kilobytes, amazing how they did it. They really pioneered the gaming industry and are very underrated these days. Not too many uppercuts ok ;).

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure where they go to die, but I know where they come to be resurrected.....

The Illawarra Steelers shed!

Well said Furry. We're lucky to have such talented guys and gals in Australia with the skills, the passion and generosity to keep the beautiful games of old alive for us all to enjoy. Hats off to you all.