Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Any value in Basketball cards?

Going through my boxes and came across -a lot- of NBA basketball cards I used to collect in the period of 1989 - 1994.

I have no need for them anymore, but no idea on the value.

Do people still collect these things? or do people still chase card sets from the early 90's?

As a former card collector who also still has tonnes of trading cards I may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Most of the common cards are worth almost nothing due to their MASS production, however some of the rarer insert cards can be worth shitloads.

Check here for price guides ....

Remember for any card to be worth the value in the above guide its has to be in a 100% MINT CONDITION

As a former card collector who also still has tonnes of trading cards I may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Most of the common cards are worth almost nothing due to their MASS production, however some of the rarer insert cards can be worth shitloads.

Check here for price guides ....

Remember for any card to be worth the value in the above guide its has to be in a 100% MINT CONDITION

Thanks for that. I'll check the link out. It appears they want a subscription, or pay per lookup though which kind of sucks.

Despite any value though, not sure where to sell them.

I remember I used to buy the Beckett guide every few months way back when I was collecting.

I'd say a good 95%+ of my cards are in mint condition. Most have sat inside plastic sleeves and some inside plastic sleeves inside plastic pages inside binders.

I have a number of inserts from the fleer and upper deck series.

Outside of sets, I focused on Larry Bird.

Sad to think how much money I spent on them back then :blink:

I found my old (incomplete) collection of Garbage Gang (also known as Garbage Pail Kids) a few weeks back and managed to sell them for close to $100. I was surprised as they were in poor condition, but people still seem to want them.

My Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Cartoon) card complete set sold for around $40 also which I didn't expect.

After finding those I decided to keep looking which lead me to these card sets.

I used to buy Beckett too, from "The Card Shaq" under the Hilton in Pitt st Sydney after a visit to the Pitt St Timezone. I had some many upper deck / fleer basketball cards at one stage... but they are worth nothing now. Even the Jordan rookie card which i remember was worth around $1500 in the mid 90's has plummeted.

Remember the Ultra Pro sleeves and folders? Ive still got a folder somewhere with my most collectible cards in it...

The Jordans and other big name players would still be worth something. Just don't expect to fund a new pinball from it though!

I actually used to work in a family shop that sold heaps of cards in the '90s heyday of trading cards and I ran the card section, I have an old photo of it somewhere if anyone is keen to see. Nothing to be proud of but it was fun at the time. I also have a huge collection and thought of selling some off. Last year I sold a few Rugby League cards and made $600 I think. One card alone sold for $300 and something. So I think the Australian sports cards have held their value better then the US stuff.

I actually used to work in a family shop that sold heaps of cards in the '90s heyday of trading cards and I ran the card section, I have an old photo of it somewhere if anyone is keen to see. Nothing to be proud of but it was fun at the time.

That's be really cool, post it up if you can. I remember hanging out at card shops with mates and chatting to the bloke that ran the card counter. Good times.

If there's one thing I've noticed about Australians its that they LOVE Australian stuff. So im not surprised that's worth the most. Not being negative here btw I think its great.

Post the pic. I loved those days. The card crazy (was it?) value guides haha good times

I remember hanging out in a number of card stores, even doing a crawl of sorts every few weeks going to a number of local places and checking out the latest trades, etc.

They would have turned over a fair few $ back then.

My dad used to work at lifesavers (Allen's), so he would always bring home footy cards that came with the bubblegum in the pack. We had hundreds, don't know what happened to them now. I think we used them to play flick with them at the school playground lol. U would flick the cards and if it landed on ur mates card then u won his card.

I remember collecting the batman movie cards too, and Jurassic park. The list goes on.

I also have a nice Jordan collection stashed away somewhere. Will have to try n find it...

Here's a couple I just found now. Jordan retirement card is supposed to be quite rare

[ATTACH]55971[/ATTACH]

I recall the guy I used to buy most of my trading cards from had a card he showed me of (I think) Larry Bird with a young MJ in the background ....

This was the VERY FIRST card that Jordan actually EVER appeared on and is (was then) worth truckloads. A documentary he had (which he showed me) that was filmed in the US about collections and collectables clearly showed the exact same card being sold at a US card fair for over $100k (cant remember the actual fee) ....

Some of you may have this but couldn't tell you anymore than you have already read ... Sorry !!!!!!

Anyway, I have around 60 AFL signature cards (actual issued signature cards from sets with redemptions or limited edition numbers), a couple of dozen cricket signature cards INCLUDING the VERY RARE and ELUSIVE ......... SHANE WARNE HATRICK SIGNATURE CARD and a few odd signatures from assorted crap .... I also have a few signed Don Bradman cards, coin sets and postcards which I got signed personally by him at the Bradman Museum when I was there (many, many years ago) and he happened to be there on the same day ... FRICKIN UNCANNY !!!!!!!!

Common Cards and inserts I would have frickin tens of thousands of the pieces of #$%@ .....

Hope some of you make some $$$$$ from yours some day !!!

• Administrators
Interesting that this topic has come up

I too was cleaning up and found old Star Trek cards, figured they were for the most part, valueless

seems I was right

Some Start Trek are still quite valuable Pete. Which ones do you have?

The Australian Scanlens cards sell for a premium.

Dave

Some Start Trek are still quite valuable Pete. Which ones do you have?

The Australian Scanlens cards sell for a premium.

Dave

There are SkyBox branded Star Trek the next Generation and Star Trek Voyager cards

I have saved a few special cards, holograms and starship plaques

Also an almost complete set from the movie Batman Returns

Somewhere I also have The Empire Strikes Back cards from when the movie came out

(but they may be worth some $ ), but I am not throwing them out

also have a couple of signed playboy cards :)

• Administrators
There are SkyBox branded Star Trek the next Generation and Star Trek Voyager cards

I have saved a few special cards, holograms and starship plaques

Also an almost complete set from the movie Batman Returns

Somewhere I also have The Empire Strikes Back cards from when the movie came out

(but they may be worth some $ ), but I am not throwing them out

also have a couple of signed playboy cards :)

OK, the Skybox are not very valuable but I would look into the inserts etc just in case. The ESB generally are definitely worth keeping if they are Scanlens (very likely if they were bought in Aus). They would do OK for you on Ebay if you decede to sell. I would list starting at a dollar or so per card and see where it went. Make sure you describe the condition well if you sell. Also make sure you look carefully at cards 1 and 132 for damage from elastic bands as the sets were often stored in numerical order when we were kids and spazzy bands dent the edges of the top and bottom cars in the pile. I would not be surprised to see them go for $2 per card in near mint condition.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...