Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What TV to buy?

Not a single one that I have seen and I make a point of looking even though I'm not interested in buying (I am VERY happy with my HiSense), but there are many models I guess....

Some of the LGs and Samsungs are still Korean

- - - Updated - - -

The picture on the newer Samsung LED LCDs looks shit hot

I had this dilema

in the end i got it in my head that its my tv, not the mrs,random peoples reviews or have had a brand since birth or status symbol logo

I wanted passive 3d for cheap glasses as got kids,led and a set amount of cash with a min size

went around store to store looked,asked for the remote to reset settings and get a feel for it.

People dont like my tv they know where the door is

Not a single one that I have seen and I make a point of looking even though I'm not interested in buying (I am VERY happy with my HiSense), but there are many models I guess....

I'll take more notice at work tomorrow

Buying a TV is so hard.

Whatever you do don't let a salesmen talk you into a model. They will always flog the TV which gets them the biggest commission. Also they use a fair few tricks as well to make their model look better. They will play around with setting on some models to make them look worse compared with the high commission model. Worst thing I have seen was them just using RCA plugs next to a tv that was HDMI. It made the other TV look like shit since it was playing SD Next to HD. So you can't really trust your own eyes when in a shop.

However I think right now is a bad time to be buying TV's. I was shocked when a friend of mine ask me about the TV I bought and how long ago which is a 7 series 55" Samsung I bought for 1950 in January this year is now selling for 2700. Granted my version didn't have the voice activation but I remember it only being an extra 150 for that. Perhaps wait for them to start offloading TV's again before the new models arrive.

Depending on your model you may get the dreaded click of death that Samsung are renowned for. if it happens fix it yourself. I did after Samsung dicked me around.

I tried to fix mine, by replacing 4 capacitors but it didn't do the trick....(not the worlds best solderer)....can you buy the power boards directly from Samsung maybe?

Like anything, it's a personal opinion, but I find it hard to go past Samsung these days, simply due to the reliability of their products I have bought.

I have a Samsung bar fridge that I bought 21 years ago when they were considered dodgy brothers and it's still going strong.

.can you buy the power boards directly from Samsung maybe?

You probably can but you will likely find they are priced about 50% of the cost of a new TV.....manufacturers really only keep parts for these types of "throwaway" products for warranty purposes.

You have to assume that the TV you buy is a throw away item......

• Super Moderator
You probably can but you will likely find they are priced about 50% of the cost of a new TV.....manufacturers really only keep parts for these types of "throwaway" products for warranty purposes.

You have to assume that the TV you buy is a throw away item......

Indeed.. We do live in a consumable society. 'Tis why the fat cats get so fat.

More than likely your EEPROM has fried. Sometimes by shorting out 2pins you can reset the memory but more often they fail. Change that and it will most probably work again. Could you solder an 8 pin SMD if so you will be ok. It's fiddley and a steady hand is required and a big magnifier, what model do you have as I may have a spare EEPROM if you need one, happy to post it to you.

The one with the longest warranty (and don't get conned into buying extended warranty - it's a scam!)

i think just buy a average one. Just a head up why..

bought a panasonic plasma 3d tv. 50 inch with extend warranty.. a year and a half later the panel had a line in it.

cost of this was 1700 for tv

150 extended warranty

four 3d glasses 170

total $2530

when they returned it they gave me $800 or a replace tv of there chioce valued at 800

i got jacked in the arse.

but i think these days i think they do replacement back warranty if you spend 3k you get 3k back in value mean they will give u a tv of 3k

just becarefull

i think just buy a average one. Just a head up why..

bought a panasonic plasma 3d tv. 50 inch with extend warranty.. a year and a half later the panel had a line in it.

cost of this was 1700 for tv

150 extended warranty

four 3d glasses 170

total $2530

when they returned it they gave me $800 or a replace tv of there chioce valued at 800

i got jacked in the arse.

but i think these days i think they do replacement back warranty if you spend 3k you get 3k back in value mean they will give u a tv of 3k

just becarefull

I had a similar issue with a Samsung Plasma panel in my father's TV, the amount you paid equals more than a year and a half of use and you should have been entitled to either a replacement or a repair according the the ACCC. We got it replaced for free by Samsung.

Get yourself a Logitech Harmony. I've packed all the old remotes away and just use it. Fantastic and I even have the $29.00 one that KMart sell for $20.00.

http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/8040?crid=60

Works really well, so well I'm never buying one of the more expensive version. I used to have one of the 650's.

http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/harmony-remote-650?crid=60

Never used the extra features and after one too many drops on the tiled floor from the kids it stopped working. Not worth the money imo. I'm going back to KMart and picking up another Harmony 200 as a spare.

Brad

Nice. Thanks for the tip.