IGNORED

Australian Pinball Expo 2014 - discussion and ideas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've updated anything in this thread, mostly because I was waiting for the Chicago Expo this year to take notes then borrow the good and avoid the bad.

One thing I'd like to revisit is the swap meet aspect of the event. One thing the Chicago expo was short on this year was parts. Most vendors only brought a small subset of their catalogues, with Marco bringing virtually nothing. If we were to have a small area set aside at $50 a table would people be interested in bringing parts to sell (keeping in mind this would only be for hobbyists)? I can tell you at $50 we make no money from it at all (we probably lose money) but from the enthusiast standpoint it may be worth it. We also avoid the insurance issues as it is under the one roof, and not effectively in a carpark.

Would people bring parts? Is the cost too high for you to consider it? All feedback welcome.

Been a while since I've updated anything in this thread, mostly because I was waiting for the Chicago Expo this year to take notes then borrow the good and avoid the bad.

One thing I'd like to revisit is the swap meet aspect of the event. One thing the Chicago expo was short on this year was parts. Most vendors only brought a small subset of their catalogues, with Marco bringing virtually nothing. If we were to have a small area set aside at $50 a table would people be interested in bringing parts to sell (keeping in mind this would only be for hobbyists)? I can tell you at $50 we make no money from it at all (we probably lose money) but from the enthusiast standpoint it may be worth it. We also avoid the insurance issues as it is under the one roof, and not effectively in a carpark.

Would people bring parts? Is the cost too high for you to consider it? All feedback welcome.

Would it be restricted to parts?. disassembled project games OK?

Would it be restricted to parts?. disassembled project games OK?

Whatever you can fit on a table - generally they're 6ft long. There are probably insurance issues with people having stuff on the floor so I need to check that with my broker. Let's just assume you've got the table to work with at this point, I think they are usually 1800 x 500 give or take.

Would it work better if it was just on one of the days for a set number of hours so people don't have to stand around forever?

Whatever you can fit on a table - generally they're 6ft long. There are probably insurance issues with people having stuff on the floor so I need to check that with my broker. Let's just assume you've got the table to work with at this point, I think they are usually 1800 x 500 give or take.

Would it work better if it was just on one of the days for a set number of hours so people don't have to stand around forever?

Yeah being inside on tables would restrict it to parts I reckon.

I love the idea of car park flea markets at the shows in the States. But as you said with the added drama of insurance and other hindrances, I can understand why that isn't possible. Even if it was, I doubt we'd have enough people with truck loads of projects like they do in the States to justify it.

Sounds great. what sort of price on general admission for a expo set up like this if you have free pins for play. Plus make sure you have a donation box at the door I'd defiantly drop some extra notes to keep it a annual event. All though melbourne is a lot closer next expo melbourne 2015. Lol. Kidding. Keep up the good work.

Sounds great. what sort of price on general admission for a expo set up like this if you have free pins for play. Plus make sure you have a donation box at the door

General admission price will probably be in the range of $20-$30 a day but its not set in stone as yet. There will be an 'access everything' pass as well which will be discounted. There are a bunch of side events like a dinner, seminars, at least one 'lock in', multiple comps and the cost will vary depending on what you want to be a part of.

There should be a minimum of 150 games from 3 collectors on free play going back to wood rails. There will also be an opportunity for collectors to bring games and gain free admission and other perks (such as the ability to sell your games onsite, you also get an awesome t-shirt I'm having designed :lol - and other yet to be determined stuff) The goal is to have 200 games on free play although some of these will be dedicated to tournaments.

Charity wise there will be Rotary BBQ out the front, a charity auction that we are going to donate a bunch of stuff to, and I'm also going to put a coin mech in 1 or 2 games out the front with all proceeds going to charity (yet to determine the charity).

Keep the extra $ in your pocket, just spread the word once we've got the website and Facebook live ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take a table to sleep under and sub lease the top bit to RAIL-WAYS.. :)

Win:Win

You can sleep on my floor and like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I just found this Unreal. I'll be there with the family and 2 Cars cause I'm staying till stumps.

Now I have something other than Wet and Wild to look forward too...

Could have a forsale area too ill be carrying them out under each arm lol

Gday Leigh .

Are you able to let us know the dates for this awesome event as yet or do we need to wait a few more weeks?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Will be announced in the next week - I've been overseas for an extended period of time and haven't had a chance to catch up with my co-conspirators as yet.

Leigh

Thanks for all the effort that will go into an event like this. I am sure you will be able to get it off the ground. A lot of people have been waiting for an expo type event in Sydney for a long time. Again thanks in advance to all concerned in this venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Dates:

14th-16th November.

More info in the next week.

Phew, I was worried there was going to be a clash with PAX 2014, which is October 31 - November 2nd. So all good there.

I'm really looking forward to this. I think the lock-in is a fantastic idea. For the big events I've been to so far the most frustrating thing is just getting on the machines with fellow enthusiasts and having a game.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm not sure if this can be done but I would like to organize and run the 1st IFPA National Australian Championships. I have the tournament structure all thought out... This will be the premier pinball event in Australia... See how time/space/machines go I guess...

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on here for a while and was stoked when I stumbled upon this thread.I had heard rumours of something like this for a while but had no idea that it was all going ahead and a venue had been booked.Will be an amazing to see so many machines in one venue. and judging by how good the barn meets were I'm sure this will be a success.

The collectors from Albury Wodonga will definitely be there and also would hope to be part of the lock in.

Just a small point, will the comps be split into eras of machines like they are in some events in the states?

Would be cool to have a an EM, SS and DMD comp.

anymore updates on this, looks to be a great opportunity & can not be missed event :cool:

Stay tuned. Information will be going out to potential vendors in the new year. Website will go live shortly after.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm not sure if this can be done but I would like to organize and run the 1st IFPA National Australian Championships. I have the tournament structure all thought out... This will be the premier pinball event in Australia... See how time/space/machines go I guess...

@RGR

You'll have to speak with Dan mate, I'm sure he'll want you and Edy involved. There is a rather large space being dedicated to 'comps' (details aren't final but the space being used likely is). More will be revealed in the coming weeks, but I'm sure if you ring Dan you can nut out some ideas. The main comp will be a rebuy event that I do know - it will be spread over 2.5 days. There are currently 12 machines allocated in the comp space, but more can fit if necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been on here for a while and was stoked when I stumbled upon this thread.I had heard rumours of something like this for a while but had no idea that it was all going ahead and a venue had been booked.Will be an amazing to see so many machines in one venue. and judging by how good the barn meets were I'm sure this will be a success.

The collectors from Albury Wodonga will definitely be there and also would hope to be part of the lock in.

Just a small point, will the comps be split into eras of machines like they are in some events in the states?

Would be cool to have a an EM, SS and DMD comp.

Its more likely there will be two categories, classics (EMs) and solid states (SS & DMD). I'll let people who have more knowledge in this area answer the questions on this one, but effectively we're limited by number of available hands (volunteers), not space, time, or number of available machines.

Whatever format the comps take, the main one will be an unlimited rebuy qualifier with finals on Sunday.

"You'll have to speak with Dan mate, I'm sure he'll want you and Edy involved. There is a rather large space being dedicated to 'comps' (details aren't final but the space being used likely is). More will be revealed in the coming weeks, but I'm sure if you ring Dan you can nut out some ideas. The main comp will be a rebuy event that I do know - it will be spread over 2.5 days. There are currently 12 machines allocated in the comp space, but more can fit if necessary."

Yep exactly what I had intended. Qualifying which I guess is a rebuy and have it spread over 3 days... I assume the 0.5 day will be the final. 12 machines awesome... I hope theres going to be a mix of em ss and dmd as well. l'll speak to Dan when I see him next. All sounds good tho