IGNORED

Australian Pinball Expo 2014 - discussion and ideas

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Moderator
This is unlikely but we won't rule it out entirely depending on how the budget for this event looks as we get closer.

$50 a table if you had some spare room not in use could work out nicely. Can you imagine the parts that might come out of the woodwork? If it was me I would make it hobbiest access and second hand parts only so that the new part sellers did not cash in on a cheap table or get their noses out of joint from being undercut.

Dave

• Super Moderator
RGR can run how to play classes.....

And Wotto and I can be on hand for him to show everyone how not to play...LOLOL

Nah, just get WOTTO to go around playing machines and have Skybeau and Norbert following him showing people how to fix what he busted!

Dave

Edited by furballx

$50 a table if you had some spare room not in use could work out nicely. Can you imagine the parts that might come out of the woodwork? If it was me I would make it hobbiest access and second hand parts only so that the new part sellers did not cash in on a cheap table or get their noses out of joint from being undercut.

Dave

Its a good idea from the enthusiast standpoint, but probably a horrible one from the vendor view point. It also has the potential to de-rail the viability of the event (unless I can sell 80 x $100 tables a day), if enough people who would have bought a 3m x 3m (or whatever) decide they'll just have a table instead, it will either guarantee there has to be an auction, or it will mean that this is a one off event, or at least a one off event with my involvement.

Because I'm a hobbyist I find it a cool idea, but because I'm wearing my 'must not lose $50k' hat as well, it means that some things that are cool may not be viable. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that people like AMD, Mark, Wayne, Greg, Bumper will want to be a part of it, but if they're outlaying for a booth and a guy is next to them selling possibly the same parts on a $50/$100 dollar table, why would they want to come?

I think the best option is to put it to industry, if they decide they want to be a part of the event without a 'fleamarket', I know who I'm going to have to side with, financially I have no choice. That said if people choose to show up and swap stuff out of the boot of their car its not like I'm going to stop them.

• Super Moderator
Its a good idea from the enthusiast standpoint, but probably a horrible one from the vendor view point. It also has the potential to de-rail the viability of the event (unless I can sell 80 x $100 tables a day), if enough people who would have bought a 3m x 3m (or whatever) decide they'll just have a table instead, it will either guarantee there has to be an auction, or it will mean that this is a one off event, or at least a one off event with my involvement.

Because I'm a hobbyist I find it a cool idea, but because I'm wearing my 'must not lose $50k' hat as well, it means that some things that are cool may not be viable. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that people like AMD, Mark, Wayne, Greg, Bumper will want to be a part of it, but if they're outlaying for a booth and a guy is next to them selling possibly the same parts on a $50/$100 dollar table, why would they want to come?

I think the best option is to put it to industry, if they decide they want to be a part of the event without a 'fleamarket', I know who I'm going to have to side with, financially I have no choice. That said if people choose to show up and swap stuff out of the boot of their car its not like I'm going to stop them.

Yep, fair enough mate, there is never a simple answer to keep everyone happy at a big event. In the end if you do not break even then the events stop happening.

Anyone who knows you is aware that you will make the best decision for the ongoing success of the Expo.

Dave

• Administrators

Mate I think the biggest hurdle is the bad blood in the pinball community. People need to grow up, get over it and put the past to the side for the greater good.

Like I said, this is an inclusive event. Everyone is invited. Hopefully everyone will see the big picture, but if they don't want to or can't attend for whatever reason, I'm not going to hold any grudges. Everyone will be invited to participate in any future expos assuming we break even and do them annually.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, fair enough mate, there is never a simple answer to keep everyone happy at a big event. In the end if you do not break even then the events stop happening.

Anyone who knows you is aware that you will make the best decision for the ongoing success of the Expo.

Dave

There is another option which I didn't outline, which is in the event that noone from industry wants to be involved. In that case there will definitely be a fleamarket of some description as we've got to generate money somehow. It'll also mean that the daily ticket price will probably go up by $5 or $10.

If the vendor angle is what you are after then you should consider including the coin op industry, jukebox arcade vending drinks , petrol bowsers, neon signage all gameroom related stuff etc as this may just may bring in more vendors and increase the demographic not just pinball. Home market is getting stronger and this is an opportunity to have a great pinball display, door prizes and maybe a major raffle for a sponsor.

Mate I think the biggest hurdle is the bad blood in the pinball community. People need to grow up, get over it and put the past to the side for the greater good.

I'm hoping everyone will see past that. If they don't, we'll just have to figure out another way to make it financially viable.

It should be easier in subsequent years as we'll be able to demonstrate to venues that we can pull a good crowd, and thus negotiate better rates. I haven't as yet been able to find any benefactors with a decent conference space who would like to let us have it for free, so they can rent out hotel rooms (which is quite common in the US).

- - - Updated - - -

If the vendor angle is what you are after then you should consider including the coin op industry, jukebox arcade vending drinks etc as this may just may bring in more vendors and increase the demographic not just pinball. Home market is getting stronger and this is an opportunity to have a great pinball display, door prizes and maybe a major raffle for a sponsor.

I had considered that, but there are events that already cater to those crowds and to be honest, they're not interested in attending something like this. This is a pinball expo first and foremost, which means the majority of the vendors you will see will have something to do with it. Maybe some parts guys, maybe AMD wants to come and flog their latest Stern wares, maybe Mike wants to flog his newly completed Thunderbirds, maybe Wayne shows up with MM, bumper brings WOZ or Hobbit (or JJP themselves). Who knows.

This event isn't about the vendors, but they are a major component of how we can afford to rent a space at many thousands of dollars a day.

Side note: It would be much much much easier to just open my Barn again with 100 machines, but that doesn't push our hobby into the face of the public. Pinball is not something I want to see die, and having an expo is a great way to get people talking about it, and more importantly buying games. The awesome side part (which is the main event for us) is we get to have what amounts to a get together with seminars, and play 150+ games in the process, a lot of the stuff we'll be wheeling out you just don't see very often in Australia, it certainly isn't just 150 DMDs, this will go back to woodrails.

Given the cost on rental I see your point, initially my thoughts were with a 150 plus pinny's this will be a success even without vendors, the sheer amount of pinballs will be a big draw card in itself. Edited by hotty

• Super Moderator
Given the cost on rental I see your point, initially my thoughts were with a 150 plus penny's this will be a success even without vendors, the sheer amount of pinballs will be a big draw card in itself.

The smart vendors should see this as an opportunity to put petty squabbles aside and promote their business to an already interested target audience. Only time will tell which vendors see it this way and which do not. Keep in mind that the vast majority of pinball businesses in Australia get along pretty well.

Dave

As the venue is already booked are you able to announce the actual days it will be held in November 2014? the more notice I can have for planning leave/trips/holidays around my work roster the easier it is for me :) Fingers crossed I am rostered off for it and won't need to save or allocate leave time for it.

As the venue is already booked are you able to announce the actual days it will be held in November 2014? the more notice I can have for planning leave/trips/holidays around my work roster the easier it is for me :) Fingers crossed I am rostered off for it and won't need to save or allocate leave time for it.

We'll likely announce in November.

With just about all venues you don't pay anything if you cancel 12 months out, which is why we'll hold out till then. I don't want to announce the date/venue and then have to change it to a different location and/or date.

12 months notice with the month known should be enough for most people ;)

Quick update:

Good News

- We had a walk around the empty venue yesterday, its a lot bigger than we remembered it was. Should be plenty of room and power for pins.

- The seminars will be held in their own space removed from the pin hall, so there shouldn't be any problems hearing what is being said.

- Getting closer to finalising costs for vendor space.

- There will probably be two different pin comps going.

- Rooms at the nearest hotel are reasonably priced (and its within stumbling distance), and there are two beds per room, so people can share.

Bad News

- Swap meet *won't* happen, we have to rent a grassed area, we also have to have seperate public liability insurance just for the swap meet. The insurance alone is staggering.

• 2 weeks later...