IGNORED

Air Con Install Legal?

Ryan555

My neighbours have 3 Air Conditions (all pointed at my side) the one in the picture got moved as it was too close to the

gas tanks, it was noisy but is even more so now. I think due to the sound getting into the down pipe. Does anyone know

if this is a legal install? The place is rented so the owner probably does not know.

ACnextdoor.thumb.jpg.34e36ae59e6711527b1363ca65f4817d.jpg

I don`t see a weather proof isolation switch mounted on the wall.

The AC is blocking access to the switch board.

Hope that down pipe is sealed at the bottom.

All mine are mounted on the wall to prevent grass and insects from clogging the fins.

I don`t see a weather proof isolation switch mounted on the wall.

Is this actually a requirement in residential installations? I had a unit installed recently and it is simply connected to the main switchboard, no local isolation switch. I've seen them in business in the course of my work, but not on a home before..

yeah I don't think you have to have an isolation switch as it is isolated in the switchboard.

Very dodgy though, no rubber foot pads either. Does the outlet on that downpipe point sideways or into the back of the a/c

I don't know if there is anything there to say it is 'illegal' though.

Thanks for the info everyone.

The downpipe from memory goes into the ground and does not exit at the back of the AC. There a local noise restrictions for our area.

I might contact the owner as I have their details from the local council. As the neighbouring property I am permitted to know the owners

name and address, I will write a letter to them.

I recently had a similar issue with new neighbors moving in & moving the AC to the side of my house where there are 2 bedrooms. Council will do nothing except send them a letter outlining noise restriction hours. Wanker new neighbor didn,t move it after me talking to him & explaining that where it was it bothered no one as it was before pointed up the backyard.

Is this actually a requirement in residential installations? I had a unit installed recently and it is simply connected to the main switchboard, no local isolation switch. I've seen them in business in the course of my work, but not on a home before..

Check AS/NZ 3000:2007 for clearances around switchboards, im not sure what youll find there cause mine is at work, but there may be specific local requirements for clearances in the metering installation guide provided by the power distribution authority.

Either way, legal or not, BrissyGuy said it quite well when he said:

:) Rough as guts install.

Thanks for the info everyone, stink bomb hey......

As for the install it was done well the first time but when it was moved it looked dodgy as you can see. I was thinking that it being installed so close to the switch board might be an issue will have to check it out.

Moving a split can be a risky proposition, can only bend those copper pipes so much before they kink!! Can be lucky sometimes, but its not a risk id be keen to take on too often... May depend abit on how they connect to the back of the indoor unit too.

• 8 years later...
4 hours ago, kimbleseven said:

Can't be in front of the switchboard like that these days. Since Jan 2019 there is a rule is as3000. Seen rougher installs though. And also the isolator rule now applies to all air cons even if near switchboard or not.

Yes still not the best but at least it is quieter.  I noticed there was an iso switch installed on the "upgrade".

• Like 1

Hey Doug. There is a national regulator for refrigerant handling. So need a national licence to handle refrigerant (including mount and piping the units) And then some states have a local regulator and licence (qld has one but SA does not)

It is more about them cashing in than stopping people releasing gases into ozone. But technically yes it illegal and against at least a federal law about ozone emissions. Funny how you can open a mechanical workshop and work on cars etc without qualifications but can't put up an air con on your own property. But your work is still fantastic mate and the air con works great in the games room!

Check out these installs:

blog-171212-Dodgy-Installer-Detector.png

Funstruction_09191-500x367(2).jpg

Resized_facebook_1584005168817_1515510193399615_03.jpeg